Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Why is the Fikse Profil series more expensive than the Fikse Classic series?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why is the Fikse Profil series more expensive than the Fikse Classic series?

By looking at the Lingenfelter prices, the Profil 5 is more than $100 more per wheel than the FM-5. Why? Is the Profil 5 lighter and/or more durable than the FM-5? Do you know what the Profil 5 wheel weight is in 17x9.5 size? Also, what finish can withstand harsh winter road salt everyday in the winter? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

IIRC The Profil was designed with larger wheel sizes in mind. The Classics were origionaly designed for a 17" wheel If you got an 18" wheel in the Classics the face would be the same size as the 17". With the Profils the faces get larger with each step up in size. I am sure there are more differences but I don't know what the others are. You would think for how much the wheels cost Fikse would provide more info on thier site.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think theyre lighter also
Old 06-13-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Profil's are definitely lighter than the Classics.

As Crash said the Profil were designed for 18" and larger diameters.

Automotive jewelry . . . Thus why all my cars run on FIKSE

Oh and I would NEVER run a FIKSE wheel I cared about in harsh winter weather.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Back to the top...
Old 06-14-2006, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't want to run them in winter. Buy a set of cheapies for the winter, trust me they do NOT react well to salt.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Well, isn't that the reason why you can get the durable anodized finish?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can try the Race Satin finish. Kind of defeats the purpose, of beautiful rims, but if you must run them in the winter, that would be your choice.

Like I said, if you are going to shell out that kind of cash for nice rims, why would you ever run them in the winter time?

I kept my stock GTO wheels and tires for the winder and run my Fikses in the nice months.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Teching In

You can get a ceramic clear coat that will let you drive in "winter" weather. clean up is as easy as windex and a microfiber cloth.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

JasonSS

I just left Huntington Beach , was there for a week. Kickbutt cars in the area!!

Anyway, are you talking a Fikse ceramic clear coat? I know their technipolish is a liquid clearcoat as opposed to powder , and is heat treated on. It cannot be stripped off, if you mess up the rims, you have to buy new center sections from them. I ask if you're talking about a ceramic clear coat from Fikse, because any aftermarket clearcoat after you buy Fikses would void the warranty and potentially destroy them.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
You can try the Race Satin finish. Kind of defeats the purpose, of beautiful rims, but if you must run them in the winter, that would be your choice.

Like I said, if you are going to shell out that kind of cash for nice rims, why would you ever run them in the winter time?

I kept my stock GTO wheels and tires for the winder and run my Fikses in the nice months.
My factory Z28 10 spokes were run in the winter and they still look good...and, again, they're from the factory. The Fikse wheels with the most durable finish, costing what they are now, should do at least as well as the factory rims when facing the elements and road salt. If not, then that would defeat the purpose of buying some of the best rims that money can buy. In other words, a really good wheel should not be good only for good weather. Otherwise, it's a freaking waste of money.

It's like buying a car. If you can't drive it everyday, then why buy it. If you're not going to use it everyday, then don't buy it. But I think the Fikses will and should last. If not, then I can call myself stupid and wasteful.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Viper
JasonSS

I just left Huntington Beach , was there for a week. Kickbutt cars in the area!!

Anyway, are you talking a Fikse ceramic clear coat? I know their technipolish is a liquid clearcoat as opposed to powder , and is heat treated on. It cannot be stripped off, if you mess up the rims, you have to buy new center sections from them. I ask if you're talking about a ceramic clear coat from Fikse, because any aftermarket clearcoat after you buy Fikses would void the warranty and potentially destroy them.
I'm talking about a clear coat offered by powder coaters for wheel manufacturers. Its possible that Fikse has the same formula and calls it something else. It Chemically bonds to the aluminum and won't chip, flake, or turn yellow. It reduces the shine of a polished wheel between 5%-10%

on a lighter note... this is a pretty bomb area. Its an interesting morning when you're on PCH (pacific coast highway) and see a porsche, a ferrari, and a Lamborghini at the same stop light.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

My brother lives at Bolsa Chica and Heil, where I stayed at. I walked every day down Heil to Algonquin to Warner down to the PCH and back, the cars are simply amazing. I even saw a Lister drive by on Saturday during the BeachFest at Main street.

The clearcoat on Fikse is proprietary, and doesn't turn yellow, chip or flake, but I just wouldn't run them in winter. MAYBE, and I'm not willing to experiment on my 3K rims, you could zoop seal them. The inner rims are clearcoated but the outer rim is not, it's high high polished aluminum.

Originally Posted by JasonSS
I'm talking about a clear coat offered by powder coaters for wheel manufacturers. Its possible that Fikse has the same formula and calls it something else. It Chemically bonds to the aluminum and won't chip, flake, or turn yellow. It reduces the shine of a polished wheel between 5%-10%

on a lighter note... this is a pretty bomb area. Its an interesting morning when you're on PCH (pacific coast highway) and see a porsche, a ferrari, and a Lamborghini at the same stop light.