Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS rate them 1 to 10

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS rate them 1 to 10

I am buying tires very soon just want to get some feedback on these tire. The 285 goodyears what would you rate them 1 to 10 10 being the highest. Discounttiresdirect have them for $157 each.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it depends on what you are looking for in a tire. the kDWS (Dry-Wet-Snow) is a great all season tire. i bought a set of the 275 for my 10 spoke SS rims because i was looking for a tire that would get me through a winter. for what i needed, i would rate them an 8. decent wear and they got pretty good traction in the wet and snow (i drove my SS through 2 shitty michigan winters and i NEVER once got stuck, and i live off a dirt road that is never plowed)

basically it's an all season tire, and out of other all season, i rate it a high 8 or 9.
just depends on what you need from a tire though
Old 06-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Launching!

If you can find a dealer that has them, There is the fiske Phantom tire (which is basically discounts brand of bfg's) They are the same exact tire for much less....however they were discontinued, so you would have to find somewhere that still has them laying around. I got my last set all 4, mounted and bal w/ warranties for about $250.

As far as the kdws tires go, I had a set of them and was not impressed with the mileage, granted my car isn't driven like a station wagon with an 80 year old behind the wheel, but I think I still only got like 20,000 out of them. Don't buy them if you are expecting good traction either, especially in the rain once they are worn a bit.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Launching!

I do not like them at all, but I also don't need an all weather tire. They were on my car when I got it and I wish I had $1000 laying around because I would ditch them tomorrow. For all weather though I suppose they are ok, but I definately still get squirrely in first with them on there in the rain.

*edit* You asked for 1-10, so I give them a 4.

Last edited by kws87; 06-16-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

they suck dont buy them if you want to get any traction at all they will slighty hook after a good 5 min burnout definatly not worth the money
Old 06-15-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have them and am not very impressed with them.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

A coworker with a GTO tried them in the snow. He said the car was undrivable. Drove it straight to Discount Tire and bought some snow tires. He said the difference was "night and day".
Old 06-15-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

20,000 miles!!!! wow, I have 32000 on my ride, not daily driven, only blue sky and sunny day driven, and I only got about 7-8 thousand out of my two sets of them. zero burn outs Good to fair traction, can not comment on the weather though. The new kwd 2 is a better all around tire, I am currently running them out front in a 275/35/18 they handle well so far, bout 100 miles on them.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Launching!

The ones i had sucked. They would spin all the time on the crappy roads here in Wichita Falls, and not because I was trying to. I bought Goodyear GS-D3's and they are signifigantly better. $150 at tirerack.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replay so I guess I made a bad decision.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Launching!

I have them and I like them. They were on the car when I bought them and have right at 18k on the car and they look the same as the day I bought the car. They work well in the rain, I never hydroplaned in any of the heavy rains down here in NC. They seem to hook alright on the street, I had them at the track once and yeah I have to admit they didnt hook that well, but that was a very slick track that wasnt prepped at all. But overall I would give them a 8.
They seem to drive nicely down the road with no excessive road noise and ride pretty well. I think some of you guys may need to get your cars aligned or something. I have had mine for almost 20k and they have atleast another 20k in them I would say. I dont do many burnouts or anything though just mainly because I cant afford to blow out my 10 bolt right now. But I would think you should be able to get over 20k out of these tires easily unless you drive very aggressively.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

They were on my car when I bought it, to be honest I wasn't a fan. They had bad characteristics in the rain and they didn't seem to last very long at all for a tire that has a 400 treadwear rating (no burnouts etc).

Right before I replaced the bfgoodrich's I put them through an autocross novice school and they seemed to do kind of ok.. but last week I had new Kumho 711's put on, which feel better handling wise and I should be doing an autocross tommorrow so we'll see how they match up in comparison to the bfgoodrichs.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For an all season tire they are OK. Give them a 8. They came stock on my GTO. Easy to spin, but they are only 245's. Fine in rain. Could be worse in snow. Granted no rear wheel drive car is great in the snow.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like mine. As far as hookin they do just fine for me at the track & on the street. I don't know why you would do a long burnout with street tires if your gonna race, as someone stated above. Thats just stupid & the reason they got no traction. I only spin mine enough to clean them off & slightly warm them. They cut consistant 2.1 60' for me. I think it really comes down to how you really drive your car, not what you tell people. If you want a sticky tire expect it to wear faster. Yes the KDWS is a all season street tire, but they are good tires if you don't try to drive them like they are a damn slick.

For a daily driver they are great in my opinion & I have only had great wear on both sets I have had. I give them a 9 overall for the type of tire they are.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

Had the KDWS on my 30th Anniversary TA, I thought hands down the worst tire I have owned. I just replaced last week with new Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals and would never change to anything else. Hands down the best tire for your dollar. I believe they are in the ballpark range of 160 a tire. one thing I refuse to settle on is tires, they can make or break a high performance car. This is just my 2 cents but once again I am extremely picky with tires and I would rate the KWDS about a 4-4.5 I'd rate the Wide Ovals a 10, couldnt be happier with performance, quietness and handling. ( I do not drive the car in the winter, and its definately NOT an all season tire)

Also if you go to Tirerack you will notice how highly the guys have been ranking the Firehawk Wide Oval.