Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Question about AFS ZR1s on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about AFS ZR1s on Ebay

I'd like to order some new chrome ZR1s from AFS, but I'm going to order from their auctions on Ebay (to get it cheaper). I like their current sharp-edged ZR1s, so that's the style I'd like to get. However, the pictures in the Ebay ad show the older/OE-style rounded-edged ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AFS-C...spagenameZWDVW

I've tried calling AFS about this and can't get a straight answer from them.

I just need to know if I buy the chrome ZR1s on Ebay, will the ones that show up to my house be the new style? I know that AFS hasn't updated their site in years and still uses some old pictures, but some of their other auctions show new pictures of the current style. Every time this auction for the 17 x 9.5'' chrome ZR1s is up, it always shows this older style.

As anyone ordered off Ebay from them in chrome ZR1s? If so, did you get the newer style or older one?

New/sharp style:

Old/OE/round style:
Old 07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Finally got an answer out of them.

They told me that if I ordered on Ebay, I'd get the newer "flat" style.

Should I order now or wait a bit? (I'm currently having a dilemma on what to do next to my car: wheels, tint, or something performance like a stall....)
Old 07-12-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say get the wheels and get the performance out of the way. I'm just waiting to see if I can get some real cme tips (already got the knockoffs) and then I'll be satisfied with the appearance on my car.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98redM6
I would say get the wheels and get the performance out of the way. I'm just waiting to see if I can get some real cme tips (already got the knockoffs) and then I'll be satisfied with the appearance on my car.
You mean to get the wheels and get appearance out of the way? I'm not sure if I'm understanding your statement correctly.

On my last red Z, I kind of tried to balance things I did in terms of appearance and performance. It didn't work out bad, but I found that there were always things I wanted to do to my car apperance-wise that I was putting into other things.

I already have a lid, LTs, ORY, and catback. I'd love to do a stall, but I'm holding off for a bit because gas is already hitting the wallet hard right now (I drive around too much during the summer!)
Old 07-12-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

looks the same to me
Old 07-12-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SRfastZ
looks the same to me
It's hard to tell if you're not acquainted with the differences. Most people, except for the F-body guys, would never know.

It's just the shape of the edges of the spokes. The GM/OEM ones are much more rounded and flowing. AFS came up with the newer style that is now copied by many people and companies. They are much sharper-edged spokes with a flatter front surface.

Here's another shot that better shows the difference.

OEM/GM:

AFS:
Old 07-12-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey dude...

I have the old style rounded ones which I got like....4 years ago, somewhere along those lines. Anyhow, on one of them the clear coated startet cracking around the valvestem hole, so they replaced the wheel for me. When I called to complain about it, they told me that it would take a little while to get the new wheel because they actually had to recast my type of wheel so it will match the rest of mine. So basically, they made that wheel just for me because all their other wheels are the new style now. So that pretty much tells you right there that they all look like the ones you want. Incidentally, the replaced wheel looked better than the others did, and it was made in Korea, the others were made in USA.

Manny
Old 07-12-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
Hey dude...

I have the old style rounded ones which I got like....4 years ago, somewhere along those lines. Anyhow, on one of them the clear coated startet cracking around the valvestem hole, so they replaced the wheel for me. When I called to complain about it, they told me that it would take a little while to get the new wheel because they actually had to recast my type of wheel so it will match the rest of mine. So basically, they made that wheel just for me because all their other wheels are the new style now. So that pretty much tells you right there that they all look like the ones you want. Incidentally, the replaced wheel looked better than the others did, and it was made in Korea, the others were made in USA.

Manny
Wow, great story Manny! Good to see you still around on here. I remember you from the LS1.com days.

That's amazing that a replica wheel company would go to as much trouble to get your wheel back and make a new cast of it just for you, so that it would match your others. Not many other companies would do that, especially one that makes replicas! What a deal. Hopefully it didn't take too long to get to you, but if it did, I can imagine why.

Thanks for the vote of confidence for them and I think I'm going to go ahead and order my new chrome ZR1s soon.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I remember correctly, it took about 2 weeks or so. I was dealing with Samantha, she still works there, I talked to her the other day when I had a question about the Z06 wheels my friend just ordered for her Camaro.

And yeah man, I am still around...been modding way more since I have been here, I just did the minor stuff while I was still on LS1.com
Old 07-12-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
If I remember correctly, it took about 2 weeks or so. I was dealing with Samantha, she still works there, I talked to her the other day when I had a question about the Z06 wheels my friend just ordered for her Camaro.

And yeah man, I am still around...been modding way more since I have been here, I just did the minor stuff while I was still on LS1.com
Yup, I talked to Samantha too.

Any more pics of the wheels on your car?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm...this one is a bit big....

Old 07-12-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

I got mine through TomzWheels - they are "Factory Reproduction" brand and have the flat surfaces you are looking for. Just FYI - and I priced them just about everywhere - Tomzwheels won hands down.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll post some pics up by this weekend of my car, I've got chrome zr1s on pewter. I'm sure you've seen several of that before tho
Old 07-12-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by casey02ws6
I got mine through TomzWheels - they are "Factory Reproduction" brand and have the flat surfaces you are looking for. Just FYI - and I priced them just about everywhere - Tomzwheels won hands down.
Do you have any closeup pics of them? I'd be interested to see how they look. If you have any, could you either post them here or send them to me at SROhlms@yahoo.com?

Thanks

Originally Posted by RM99Z
I'll post some pics up by this weekend of my car, I've got chrome zr1s on pewter. I'm sure you've seen several of that before tho
Actually, you think you'd see more of them on pewter, but you really don't. Now that I look for pics of them, I've found a couple more guys, but most of the pewter Camaro guys all go for different wheels. I'd love to see pics of yours!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go for wheels... especially if you are needing new tires anyway???!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I say go for wheels... especially if you are needing new tires anyway???!!!!!!
I'm having my current tires taken off the black ZR1s and put onto the chrome ones when I get them. They still have some life left in them, although I'm thinking of picking up some GS-D3s for the rear.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure if these are better - I will try to get a close up tomorrow -

Pic from Factory Reproductions website -

Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm really beginning to like ZR1s.. I might have to pick up a set
Old 07-14-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I'm really beginning to like ZR1s.. I might have to pick up a set

Many people will tell you that they're "played out" like the TTII's (which they're entitled to say, seeing as many people do use them), but it's because the ZR1s are a classic F-body wheel. Mainly for Camaros ever since 1996 (10 years, wow!), but the TA guys started to use them and they look great as well.

They're somewhat aggressive, but also classic and stylish at the same time.

Put them on and lower the car and you've got a mean-looking car no matter what.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z

Many people will tell you that they're "played out" like the TTII's (which they're entitled to say, seeing as many people do use them), but it's because the ZR1s are a classic F-body wheel. Mainly for Camaros ever since 1996 (10 years, wow!), but the TA guys started to use them and they look great as well.

They're somewhat aggressive, but also classic and stylish at the same time.

Put them on and lower the car and you've got a mean-looking car no matter what.

Well my car is played out anyway since I have TTIIs