Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

narrow front tires=any gains in gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default narrow front tires=any gains in gas mileage?

I have never had the chance to try out narrower front tire or even skinnies on either camaro's. obviously they help weight transfer, traction, performance etc. I do not currently live close to a drag strip and will not be able to test performance gains. has anybody noticed an increase in gas mileage after switching from stock or wide front tires to skinnies? havent made my mind up on what size tires to run up front yet. currently have 275's all around.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In theory, if there is less rolling resistance due to narrower wheels than it would create less friction and require less energy to move. But practically I dont think you will see a large enough difference to warrant the cost. Unless you are going to make it a dedicated drag car then I dont see why you would give up the handling advantage of the larger tire.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to mention your cornering loss
Old 07-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Its just a personal prefernce but cornering is not on top of my to do list. I understand the theory but I should have specified my intents a little more. oopps sorry. I get what you guys are saying. You've noticed no differnce at all. I didnt want it just for gas reasons. just grim hopes of a positive side effect. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Launching!

the handling is awesome. 275's all round, eibach pro kit, lca's, panhard, tow brace, subframe connectors. I'm sure im forgeting something. It handles like its on rails. I like it. i have never been much on road racing but this car might change my mind. who knows?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:56 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run 255/45/r17's on my 17x9.5 fronts. I wanted the fronts to be a little smaller to help set off the 315's in the back. The 45 series helps to fill out the fender well a bit since my car is not lowered in the front at all.

BTW - Skinny fronts aren't going to help weight transfer unless they come off the ground.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From a fellow board member who drag races , he find VERY reduced braking abilities while driving around town with them vs. the standard 17" rim/tire combo. More food for thought.