Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

how to protect chrome

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to protect chrome

is there anything i could put on my chrome wheels to prtect them during the winter snow....i was thinking just a coat of wax?
my car is my dd ...i kept my stock wheels but dont really want to put them on and take them off all the time
plus i wanna sell then and save up for a down payment on a bike
Old 08-03-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah- dont drive with them in the winter!!! Here in NY they use Salt.....EVERYWHERE!!!!! Hell when the roads are dry...they arent black, they're white and have chunks of rock salt that you can actually shovel off the street..... Good Luck, but to answer your question, make sure you wash them whenever they see snow or water, thats the biggest thing to do, is to just make sure they dont build up with any crap. A good coat of wax wont hurt anything, but the main thing is to stay away from all the puddles and slush, rinse them constantly even when they dont seem to be dirty- (treat them everyday as if it just rained yesterday and you are polishing up your rims) and try to get the hose around in the back under the rotors too....but you should know that already.... Good Luck
Old 08-04-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks evil
wow...23 reviews and 1 reply....your dying on me 'tech
Old 08-04-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has not been a DD yet, but by this winter it will . If I had another set of rims I would use them for the winter , I don't, so you can bet that everytime I get the road salt on, I will be using a water hose from somewhere that isn't frozen to get it off just as EvilBLK02TA said. There are known problems with the Firehawk chrome wheels, not all but some. Lucky for me mine are fine. Every few weeks in the winter I plan on pulling my wheels off and using the chrome polish first, followed by a coat of wax. I have done this a few times allready, and my car hasn't even seen rain yet, and they stay pretty clean. So this winter is going to be a real bitch. But atleast I have the good old Power Ball, which saves time. I'm not to worried since I saw first hand with my 2002 transam that my wife drove every day to Springfied,which was 100 mile round trip, those chrome wheels held up fine in the salt, rain, mud. So I'm not going to worry. Good luck anotherreject04
Old 08-04-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sir, will definitely tear up your inner rims and coated headers.........grrrr!

Quick Reply: how to protect chrome