Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

grove in tire sidewall

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default grove in tire sidewall

Anybody ever seen a tire have what looks like a cut line about half an inch from the top of the sidewall? I took it to 3 places and nobody knows why. The tires are old but I plan on getting new ones soon and don't want my new tires to do this. It doesn't appear to be bottoming out on the front where you really notice it. The guy at the dealer said it was the alignment but it looks like a cut into the tire not like it is rubbing off the edge. Could it be possible tires are coming apart there because they are old tires?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

my truck does the same thing when i bottom out the tire hits my fender and thats where its making my groove at
Old 08-06-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am riding at the stock height with the original tire size. No one can seem to make the car bottom our either when driving it or when pushing down on the bumper. The fender is way above the tire. Got any ideas? I have taken it to 2 alignment places and the dealer. The dealer didn't really look to hard. Just pushed on the bumper alot.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

it could be that the tire side wall is seperating from the tire. i see it all the time at work. if you pull the edge of the line you should see part of the side wall. you just need new tires.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One guy said it was where the tires are made to meet together and maybe it was pieces of it coming off. It is not deep enough that I can pull on it to look. It is just deep enough that it looks like something cut into it a little in a line around most of the tire in the same place.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

is this a front or rear tire? have they always been on your car, or were they on a different car before.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the car 7 weeks ago and the guy had it for 2.5 years and he didn't buy the tires. They still have some tread on them. I am going to get new ones soon but I wanted to find out want was going on first to see if it needed to be fixed. It is on the front mainly but there is a little on the back. The tire guy pointed that out to me. Mostly the front.