Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

i have almost called jegs 10 times now...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i have almost called jegs 10 times now...

i want to order a set of weld pro star or draglite wheels 15x3.5 and 15x8 to run some 26x10.5's . I am really worried about grinding the calipers. I have an extra set of rear calipers i can grind on, is it really that bad with the right tools and would it be any easier having an extra set of calipers to grind on in a vise compared to doing them on the car. Also is the grinding any different with prostars vs draglites or are they the same. I have read so many threads, i just need some motivation
Old 08-07-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to grind quite a bit off the back if you do not run a spacer.

I use a 5/16 spacer on the front and didnt have to grind at all, until .......................

I put new rotors and new pads on the car. Then the calipers hit on the front. I guess the thickness of the brand new pads and the brand new rotors moved the calipers out in the bracket far enough to rub trhe wheel.

Dont know if it matters but I installed the drilled and slotted rotors from rotorworks. The 169 dollar set of four.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do it on the car which most people do, try and sit a fan next to where you are grinding so it blows the aluminum flakes away from the brakes. Be prepared to wear a brand new 4.5" grinding wheel down to the nub and maybe half another one.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

grinding on the car is easy. Make sure to wear eye protection, and use an electric disk grinder. You can pick those up for $30 at Sears. The fan suggestion above helps to keep the dust off of you also.

Draglites and Prostars require identical grinding, the rear of the wheels are the same. Basically you grind, test-fit, grind, test-fit, etc... until the wheel rotates freely. Marking the ground off area with black sharpie marker makes it easy to see where the wheel rubs, when you do your test-fits.

So, doing this on a vice would be more difficult, since you can't test-fit.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I spent over an hour on each caliper. Grind, test-fit, grind, test-fit, etc. etc.