Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

drag radials for 16x8...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drag radials for 16x8...

What's a good drag radial for a 16x8 firebird rim? I'm thinking ET street drag radial. It seems like all the street tire options are 255 so it's a matter of which grabs the best. This is for an h/c 6 spd WS6 so I'm open to advice.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah go with the 255-50 or 55?-16.. I ran on some and I didnt even spin one bit in first gear. They were at about 20 psi. I have a cammed Z28 M6..
Old 08-23-2006, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

MT DR's hook hard. 255/50/16 is the only size for a 16" rim regardless of brand.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Nitto, make a DR in 245/50-16 size. It's a decent drag radial that's not too bad on the street.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...33&rd=16&ar=50
Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

i am also in the process of looking for rear tires for my 16x8 rims.

the MT ET Street Radials r suppose to hook like crazy and i've heard good things about the Hoosier DR that came out recently. but wut else would u expect from MT and Hoosier. those would be my choices if they r only gonna see the drag strip.

personally i am looking for a street/strip tire. i have spent alot of time looking at many max performance summer tires, ultra performance summer tires, and competition tires. after all the searching for something different it looks like i will jus go w/ wut everyone else is running, 255/50R16 BFG g-Force T/A DR and the 245/50R16 Nitto 555R.

the BFG is worse in the rain and has less life, but hooks better. the Nitto has better life and is better for getting caught in the rain. but is harder and doesnt hook as well.

i wouldnt mind trying some of the autox tires that people run, but it has been hard to find straight line feedback. DOT legal competition tires from Kumho, Yoko, Michelin, Pirelli, etc look like they would be good on the street and sticky at the track.

wut r ur goals for the tire? mostly street, some strip? lots of strip and no street? etc?

Last edited by OJmobileII; 08-24-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OJmobileII
i am also in the process of looking for rear tires for my 16x8 rims.

the MT ET Street Radials r suppose to hook like crazy and i've heard good things about the Hoosier DR that came out recently. but wut else would u expect from MT and Hoosier. those would be my choices if they r only gonna see the drag strip.

personally i am looking for a street/strip tire. i have spent alot of time looking at many max performance summer tires, ultra performance summer tires, and competition tires. after all the searching for something different it looks like i will jus go w/ wut everyone else is running, 255/50R16 BFG g-Force T/A DR and the 245/50R16 Nitto 555R.

the BFG is worse in the rain and has less life, but hooks better. the Nitto has better life and is better for getting caught in the rain. but is harder and doesnt hook as well.

i wouldnt mind trying some of the autox tires that people run, but it has been hard to find straight line feedback. DOT legal competition tires from Kumho, Yoko, Michelin, Pirelli, etc look like they would be good on the street and sticky at the track.

wut r ur goals for the tire? mostly street, some strip? lots of strip and no street? etc?
i had the kuhmo victorracer tires and the suck they wore out too fast and were extemly dangerous in the rain and at the drag strip they sucked i was cutting 2.5 with them and they were 315 tires. they spun like crazy ever time.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skatinjay27
i had the kuhmo victorracer tires and the suck they wore out too fast and were extemly dangerous in the rain and at the drag strip they sucked i was cutting 2.5 with them and they were 315 tires. they spun like crazy ever time.
they get great autox reviews, but like i said i havent heard anything about straightline (until now). after ur post i'm glad i didnt give those a try. thanks for the input. i'll probably steer clear of any autox tire for that matter.

as far as strict drag radials on the street, i'm wondering how the BFG Comp T/A Drag Radial(BFG renamed it the g-Force T/A Drag Radial 2) holds up to weekend use and how it responds if caught in an unexpected shower.

i can only assume the same tread life due to the same compound and depth, but maybe the pattern is a lil better for street use. maybe someone has experience w/ both tires and can give some feedback.

g-Force T/A DR 2 (formerly Comp T/A DR) -->

g-Force T/A DR -->
Old 08-24-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

i now run gsd3s and they areamazing on the street. i dont like driving soft compound tires on the street they are annoying, they pick all the lil pebbles on the road and let them go at your inner fender so all you hear is ping,ping,ping. im justy gonna get some MT drs to put on my old stock wheels for the track. but thew bfgs look good and are priced very well
Old 08-24-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OJmobileII
The tires I'll be using on the 16x8 rims will be for the track and occasional street use. I have stock 17x9.5's but I figured the 16's would be better with more sidewall. I also wanted to keep the stock wheels/tires for long trips and twisty roads.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
The tires I'll be using on the 16x8 rims will be for the track and occasional street use. I have stock 17x9.5's but I figured the 16's would be better with more sidewall. I also wanted to keep the stock wheels/tires for long trips and twisty roads.
i would go w/ either one of the BFG DRs if it will be only trips to and from the track w/ a once in awhile late night cruise.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

December 05' issue of Carcraft Magazine. Page 63
Ken Warner, VP Sales and Marketing for Mickey Thompson Performance Wheels and Tires. And I quote
"The radial vs. bias-ply question is one we get asked a lot, and although our ET street Radial is a great choice for launching vehicles with an automatic transmission, unfortunately they will not work well on a stick shift car. Bias-ply tires, like our ET street tire, are much better suited to absorb the intense forces of a stick car launch and will allow you to properly hook up, where as radial tires, regardless of air pressure or compound, are not so forgiving. With a manual transmission you'll just blow off the radial tires and be very dissapointed."
(He was giving a response to someone who had written in, and needed tire advise driving a 5 speed fox body mustang)........ go figure....
(no flameage please, i am only stating what the man said)
Old 08-24-2006, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

That dude obviously never drove a stick car with the radials on it. They hook hard and the ONLY time I spun them at the track was when I launched off the rev limiter. I've spun them a few times on the street really revving it up and dumping the clutch. Maybe on a 450+HP car they would spin bad but I've had ZERO issues with spinning.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

well i can say that i have only tried one set of drag radials, nitto 255's and i spun probably the first 100 ft of the track. i didn't read that article until much later. i've never spun 1 bit with the bias ply MT et streets. But, that is just my personal experience, a lot of people toell me otherwise, but i can only say what i have actually expierenced. the guy IS the VP of sales for Mickey Thompson so he must know something. lol get gone... have you ever tried slicks? bias ply? i couldn't believe the difference.... like i sadi i can only speak from my personal expierences.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

The radials are plenty for my car. I have no reason for the bias plys. Those would really suck at the top end and trying to make the turnoff. I need a faster car before I need those.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

anyone w/ any experience w/ the different BFG tread patterns? which would be better if caught in an unexpected rain during a trip to the track or late night cruise? g-Force T/A DR 2 (old comp t/a pattern) or the g-Force T/A DR (KDW'ish pattern)?
Old 08-27-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

I am running the MT ET Street Radial. The tires hook very well now if I could only learn to drive. I cut a 1.9 60' at MCIR in LaRue, OH where they haven't even heard of track prep. I had a couple of launches where the tires hooked hard and then the car bogged. I need to learn how to slip the clutch a little bit better and I should be cutting 1.8s or lower. This is also with no mods to the engine except for an 80mm TB. I know there are other people on this board with modded cars cutting much better 60' times then me.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by homegrown TA
December 05' issue of Carcraft Magazine. Page 63
Ken Warner, VP Sales and Marketing for Mickey Thompson Performance Wheels and Tires. And I quote
"The radial vs. bias-ply question is one we get asked a lot, and although our ET street Radial is a great choice for launching vehicles with an automatic transmission, unfortunately they will not work well on a stick shift car. Bias-ply tires, like our ET street tire, are much better suited to absorb the intense forces of a stick car launch and will allow you to properly hook up, where as radial tires, regardless of air pressure or compound, are not so forgiving. With a manual transmission you'll just blow off the radial tires and be very dissapointed."
(He was giving a response to someone who had written in, and needed tire advise driving a 5 speed fox body mustang)........ go figure....
(no flameage please, i am only stating what the man said)
That's interesting because I am considering the ET Streets (non radial) since I won't really be using the tires on the street much and all the 16" radials are only 255 width. The issue with the ET streets is 26" tall or 27"?

I'm not sure if I'll end up with 3.90 gears or 4.10 so I'm trying to figure if I'd need the 27" if I end up with the 4.10's. Here's the two tires.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...chItemId=47023

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...chItemId=83857

Anyone run the 27" tire? Does it fit in our wheels wells?

Last edited by My90Iroc; 08-29-2006 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: drag radials for 16x8...