Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

May be putting together the ultimate street tire combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May be putting together the ultimate street tire combo

Hey everyone. I just picked up some 35th anniversary SS wheels, and they had Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's on them. Great tires, but I just wanted something more aggressive for my setup. So I decided to put together a badass street tire setup. I scored some 265/40ZR17 Eagle F1 Supercars for the front, and for the rear I got another set of my favoite tires, BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KD's. I LOVE these tires, they look badass, and hook in a straight line or on turns. I think it should be nice...opinions?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I always prefer matched sets for handling. Sometimes mixing treads results in funny handling, sometimes it works well (but that's usually the exception). In reality, you typically have to drive pretty damn hard for those oddities to surface.

Something worth mentioning re: the supercars -
your Chevy dealer can probably get you the best prices on those particular tires. I saw it about a half dozen times when I worked at one. We lost plenty of tire business to those guys for people who shop strictly on price. That particular tire was an exception. Our theory was that Goodyear gave GM a better price arrangement for being OE on that "super car". Anyway, we quit being surprised when it happened. It was only on that particular model (GY supercar) and on the C5 Z06 sizes. Worth looking into...

Back on topic, only way to know for sure is to try it. In general (on bikes and cars) it's better to have a matched set, for street/handling purposes. Cost or drag needs may necesitate a mongrel setup. Ultimately, what feels good to you will give you more confidence and may help you go a little quicker too.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I just had slicks and skinnies before, and needed a good, sticky streetable setup. They don't make an F1 Supercar 17" wider than the 265's and I don't want that out back. I like the tires, and I figured I needed wider rear tires, so I got KD's. I had those before and they were AMAZING. With the deal I got on the Supercar's, I couldn't pass them up, and I didn't want to spend $1K on tires all around. I'm not going for extreme handling anyway...I have no front swaybar and strange drag shocks/springs up front.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think it will beat nitto 16" DR's?