Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

F1's front BFG's Rear Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F1's front BFG's Rear Help.

I recently put a set of BFG DR's on the rear of my SS ( mounted on factory17" ZR1's). The Car now has great straight line traction from a stop but I seem to have gained poor handling in the following areas: emergency evasive manuevers, 180 type on ramps cayon runs etc.

Before the swap with all F1's at all four corners my level II Slp bielstein suspension was Phenomenal. Now I have to get out of the throttle and correct for eratic tracking during the same manuevers.

When first mounted I ran at 30 PSI rear BFG DR's / 35PSI Front F1's = poor handling

Next

35PSI Rear BFG DR/ 35PSI F1's = better but condition is still there.

I am curious if I up the pressure any more say 40 to PSI am I risking a blowout?

Or Is a GS-D3 a better choice to get the both of both worlds?

As you can see by my Sig I have alot of lowend hit and spin like crazy on F1's.

Thanks for Help in advance Guys.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Drag radials have very soft side walls, thus a DRAG tire, so handling maneuvers will suffer with that style tire . . . .
Old 09-29-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, they are not recommended for highway use.

if u want to run a sticky tire with maneuvering capabilities, i'd look into a road race tire. still enough grip for drag racing, but stiffer sidewalls for highway/road use.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Launching!

The nitto 555r extreme drag II supposedly has stiffened sidewalls for handling. They were like 30 bucks more a tire.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will start doing research ( forum search ) on that type of tire. There is a good article in the march 02 issue of GM High-tech. perf on that very type of tire ( nitto road race ).

Does BFG make a similar tire to the nitto road race tire?

Are GS-D3's sticky with good sidewalls or are they a bad choice for my traction/handling dilema?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, none of these tires are good in the rain.

we tried to go to the track yesterday, and it started raining. i have street tires up front, and bfg drags in the back. friend had nitto R II's all around on his Z06. we were both very unstable, and i hydroplaned once. we were only going about 45 mph on the highway. we decided to turn back.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AgreSSer SS
Thanks for the advice guys.

I will start doing research ( forum search ) on that type of tire. There is a good article in the march 02 issue of GM High-tech. perf on that very type of tire ( nitto road race ).

Does BFG make a similar tire to the nitto road race tire?

Are GS-D3's sticky with good sidewalls or are they a bad choice for my traction/handling dilema?

The GS-D3 is one of the best "street" tires I've used. Nothing can come close to it when it comes to wet traction and dry traction is on par with the best radials up there, handling is good, but the BFG tracks a bit better and has less sidewall flex. You'll love them.