Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Question about Drag Radials

Old 10-11-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Drag Radials

Im in between BFG's and Nittos.. Ive been reading around and seeing that ppl are saying Nittos hold up better in the long run but dont hook as well and the BFG's are literally a death wish in the rain, however hook better.

Can I get some opinions on the two tires? I know that Nittos run thinner, whereas BFG's run a bit thicker. So, I guess Id do a 275 x 17 BFG, or a 315 x 17 Nitto...

Drag Radials dont have sidewalls correct? So I dont understand why this tire "275/35R18 LL
Blackwall" Has the 35 in there..

Tires recommended plz for a 2002 Ws6 with the stock 17 x 9 wheels and where everyone recommends to buy them from..

Thanks for all your time
Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 PM

Nitto's suck for the track. I cut the same 60' times in my shitty Yokohamma street tires. I would get the new Micky Thompson ET street Radials. I have a few friends with them and they all say they hook great.

Slicks are mesasure by Outside diamiter (ie., 26" or 28" & rim size 15"), thus no sidewall sizes on them. Street tires have sidewall sizes on them.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

so then would having a tire thats 275 40R 17 be the same as having a drag radial with the same exact #'s?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Launching!

mt et street radials only way to go i changed from the old style et streets to the radials and picked up 8 hundreths in 60 foot alone
Old 10-11-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah but how are they on the street... and am i going to kill myself if i get caught in the rain?

how long do they last? and what size should i go with?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey7489
yeah but how are they on the street... and am i going to kill myself if i get caught in the rain?

how long do they last? and what size should i go with?
Yes you will. And nitto's hook alot better than street tires, anyone who says they hook the same is a moron.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Yes you will. And nitto's hook alot better than street tires, anyone who says they hook the same is a moron.
agreed, my brothers cobra had nitto's on it
Old 10-12-2006, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

ive had the bfg's and still have nittos the bfg's dont hook well on the street and dont last long the nittos hook well on the street but you ave to heat the **** out of them down the track to get them to stick
Old 10-12-2006, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the Nitto drag tire for a every day tire. I have the 315/35/17 on a 17X10 wheel and with all my mods and a Yank 3,200 stall I cut 1.7-1.8 60's with 24 psi and on a bad run the worse I have had is a 2.0

Also you will get 7,500 to 10,000 miles on the nitto. BFG maybe 4,000. I have had 4 sets over the years now and very pleased with them.

Also the Nitto tire is a VR rated tire and does great on hard corning and in the rain.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:04 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Sounds like you read my post in that other thread. I think you are confused, but you also have to realize a few things here.

Drag radials, are exactly what their name implies. Drag worthy soft compound tires, with the same radial makeup as regular street tires. The difference being the soft sidewall, and soft compound of the tire. Drag radials also lack a tread design worthy for rain use.

Now beyond that, you have to consider a few things. Street use, and the driveline strength of your car.

I notice your an M6. Putting down at least 350horse + ft/lbs of torque to the wheels. A real sticky tire, and the stock 10 bolt rearend DON'T match. You'll also find at that hp amount, you'll more than likely bog on a decent track with a really sticky tire like the MT Drag radial.

You're going to get a minimal amount of life out of Mickey Thompson DRs on the street. They are going to be one of the worst DR tires if you get caught in the rain, and also have the softest sidewall. Meaning you're cars going to feel "loose" at highway speeds, during lane changes, cornering, braking, etc.

So, IMO don't go with MT DRs. Unless you're putting down a good amount of HP, or ONLY traveling to and from the track.

Nittos DO hook, but they have to be heated up more than any other DR tire. These don't have as soft a tire compound as the others. They still hook, and they still work fine at your power level. They are also going to be the best DR in the rain out of the big 3 choices. Once they get worn down of course, they are all pretty bad. You have to be smart, and drive carefully.

The BFG DR hooks better than the Nitto. They also only last about 5k miles with street driving, and a small amount of track passes. (Lets call it 20 passes) with a small burnout each time.

These don't need to be heated up as much, but still need to be spun a little to get them real sticky.

If you're looking for a 275/40/17 go with the Nittos or BFG. The MT DR is too sticky, and you DON'T need it, or want it if you're on the street all the time.

IMO, go with the Nitto if you plan on running these on the street every day. You should be able to get about 8k miles out of them, with the 20 or so passes. Could be less, who knows, depends how you drive.

The BFGs are also decent for the street, but won't last as long, and are worse if you get caught in the rain.

Read and make note of informative posts while you're searching, and you should be able to make a good decision.

Rob
Old 10-12-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats the best choice in nitto tires?:
555R II extreme
NT-01
555 R DR

what size do you all recommend to go on the stock 9 inch WS6 Wheel???
Old 10-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Teching In

I've had both. Shitto's don't hook and if you drive like you have some common sense the BFG's are fine in the rain, until you get down to about 1/4 tread. M/T Street Radials are the best for traction though, by far.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:53 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

I've run BFGs daily in the rain as well. But they suck, and you still have to be careful. They aren't even worth driving on at highway speeds once they get down that low. 1/4"? They barely have that amount of tread when their new...

Nittos DO hook. YOu have to heat them up pretty well. Everyone whos saying they don't is full of ****.

If you just spin them to clean them off, they aren't going to do ****. The tire compound isn't as sticky as any of the others. Heat them up, and they will stick.

Joey, if you decide on the Nittos, you want the NT 555R. The other two are road racing/autocross tires.

For the BFGs, you want the G/Force TA DR 2.

I would go with 275/40/17s. They you CAN fit a 315 Nitto on the stock wheel. Technically that's way too big a tire, but the Nittos do run small. Choice is yours..
Old 10-13-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I've run BFGs daily in the rain as well. But they suck, and you still have to be careful. They aren't even worth driving on at highway speeds once they get down that low. 1/4"? They barely have that amount of tread when their new...

Nittos DO hook. YOu have to heat them up pretty well. Everyone whos saying they don't is full of ****.

If you just spin them to clean them off, they aren't going to do ****. The tire compound isn't as sticky as any of the others. Heat them up, and they will stick.

Joey, if you decide on the Nittos, you want the NT 555R. The other two are road racing/autocross tires.

For the BFGs, you want the G/Force TA DR 2.

I would go with 275/40/17s. They you CAN fit a 315 Nitto on the stock wheel. Technically that's way too big a tire, but the Nittos do run small. Choice is yours..

Thankyou for all your help I really appreciate it.. Just one more question

Any of these???

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...tp=Competition

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...tion&tc=MTAHZJ

im not sure what size id get in nittos, but check these out if you get a chance..

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=40&tc=MTAHZF

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=45&tc=MTAHZF

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=35&tc=NITHV4

thanks
Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

You said you were mounting these on stock 17x9s right?

You listed a bunch of tires that were 18s.

You want the second link you posted for the BFGs. Those 315/35/17s are too big for the factory 17x9s. Some people run them, but it's really not safe, and it's going to buldge. You can get away with a 315 from Nitto, they aren't as wide. If it were me, I'd stick with the 275s.

And the first link you posted for the Nittos.

Here....
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Drag+Radial+2

You want 275/40/17 BFGS.

You still haven't mentioned how much street driving you plan to do on these. I take it these will be on 100% of them time?

I personally like the BFGs better. BUT, if your going to be driving around all the time I guess I'd sway towards the Nittos...
Old 10-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Launching!

I have the BFG DR in 275 40 17's. They hook great on the street and at the track. I don't even need to do a burn out or scrub them at the track and they just dead hook. They feel good on the street as in cornering and braking. Obviously not as good as a regular radial, but very easy to live with. I can't comment on wet traction since my car never gets wet. I have heard a lot of complaints about the Nittos not hooking well at the track. I would not hesitate for a second to get the BFG's again.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont really put that many miles on my car.. it has 42,000 miles and its an 02. I plan to put about 1000 m ore miles on it this year, thats it. like i said, it is my DD, but i limit my driving, and i make my friends drive most of the time ..
and thankyou guys for all your help i really appreciate it
Old 10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

there is a difference between trying to hook 300 hp and 400 hp i could dead hook my car on nittos at a 3000 launch on the street when it was just bolt ons
Old 10-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Yeah, maybe I should've made that part of the comment so I wouldn't be considered "full of ****". On a stock car, they might hook. But when you're trying to transfer 500 lb./ft. of torque to the ground, Shitto's don't hook. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:49 AM
12 Second Club

Yes you will. And nitto's hook alot better than street tires, anyone who says they hook the same is a moron. __________________

true that, Nittos hook well if you know how to drive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Drag Radials