Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag Wheels as a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Wheels as a Daily Driver?

Hi I am looking for some drag wheels for my daily driver 05 GTO.

I would like to like to get an agressive staggered setup.

I plan on running MT tires on the rear.

Planing on 4-6" wheel up front and 9" wheel outback.

I am looking for wheels that will not break with daily driver use.

Is it possible to use drag wheels as daily drivers?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All full drag wheel will have a cracking issue. Mainly on the fronts sicne they are a smaller rim and take the most abuse from side loads. Drag rims are designed to handle loads in a straight line but not side loads. Now some people do run drag rims on the street and have gotten away with it but they take curves slow. I dont think its worth putting you and others around you in danger of a rim failing and you losing control of your car.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigDB
All full drag wheel will have a cracking issue. Mainly on the fronts sicne they are a smaller rim and take the most abuse from side loads. Drag rims are designed to handle loads in a straight line but not side loads. Now some people do run drag rims on the street and have gotten away with it but they take curves slow. I dont think its worth putting you and others around you in danger of a rim failing and you losing control of your car.

I wonder if bogart, weld, or any other wheel manufacturer would make a wider "skinny"

say 6" ?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

bump...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

While I didn't daily drive it,I put alot of street miles on weld magnums on my pro streeter and never noticed and problem.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Mustangs run around with them all the time I don't see any problems other than stopping with skinnies
Old 10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MUCHBOOST
Mustangs run around with them all the time I don't see any problems other than stopping with skinnies

thats what i was gonna say...i see mustangs with them ALL THE TIME on the street
Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club

I've always ran them on my daily drivers without any issues. I always run a thicker sidewall skinnie up front for better stability(ie 165/80r15 rather than 165r15 metric).
The Kunmo 's have a stiffer sidewall than most that I've ran. I drive pretty easy anyway but just take it easy on the high speed turns and youll be fine.
I run Draglites on my WS6(still waiting on my Bogart Street GT's!) and Bogart Street RT's on my Mustang(they are VERY heavy duty street wheel and still very light).
Old 10-20-2006, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Sweet. Yah I don't put that many miles on it... (I have 6K miles on it now with 1.5 years of ownership)

Do you guys think bogarts would be a good choice for strength?

What width should I get for the Front wheels?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Just got off the phone with bogart and they said it should NOT be used on the street with their wheels...

They will not warranty it if it is used on the street...
Old 10-21-2006, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

If you drive Bogarts you have to run their "street" Wheel. It is a totally diffrent wheel than their drag wheel,it based off of their road race wheel. It has a 14" center that is twice as thick as the drag wheel along with a one piece outer drum and it comes with a shallow Billet center cap. I always speak directly with Rich Bogart, hes currently building the street version of the GT for my WS6. Heres the street RT's on my Mustang

Old 10-21-2006, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSJNKY
If you drive Bogarts you have to run their "street" Wheel.
STREET Bogarts?!!? WTF why didn't anyone tell me about this!?!? Why the F don't they advertise this or put it on their web site or ever say word one about them?
Old 10-21-2006, 09:08 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_knight
STREET Bogarts?!!? WTF why didn't anyone tell me about this!?!? Why the F don't they advertise this or put it on their web site or ever say word one about them?
I get that all the time when people ask me what type of Bogarts are the Mustang. I dont know,but I would contact Rich Bogart directly(hes pretty easy to get a hold of). I DO know it takes forever to get them, I waited three months on the ones for the mustang(three years ago) and have been waiting two months for the ones I currently have on order. I dont really mind the wait, I just hope I dont ever need a replacement! I've owned eight sets of Bogarts and have never had an issue with the drag wheel or the street wheel.
Like said above though I wouldnt run the drag version on the street!
Good luck!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have draglites that are 15x5.5 up front, although they aren't full skinnies i dd them
Old 10-21-2006, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely, x10! That's the reason why I freaked out there: because as much as some people might tell you otherwise here, drag wheels are completely 100% unsafe and unsuitable for the street. Period. Ask any of the manufacturers and they will tell you the same.

That's why it's important to get a STREET wheel if you're going to drive it at all on the street.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Ive had 2 Mustangs.. Drove just fine with 15x3.5's and Pepboys 165/15 tire.. Daily driven , even in rain.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

I get that all the time when people ask me what type of Bogarts are the Mustang. I dont know,but I would contact Rich Bogart directly(hes pretty easy to get a hold of). I DO know it takes forever to get them, I waited three months on the ones for the mustang(three years ago) and have been waiting two months for the ones I currently have on order. I dont really mind the wait, I just hope I dont ever need a replacement! I've owned eight sets of Bogarts and have never had an issue with the drag wheel or the street wheel.
Good luck!
These street Bogarts are a no-brainer! They're probably strong, lightweight, and not cost a fortune--the perfect wheels! What styles and sizes are available? What website can they be purchased from? You can mount regular street tires on them, right?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by damon_Z
These street Bogarts are a no-brainer! They're probably strong, lightweight, and not cost a fortune--the perfect wheels! What styles and sizes are available? What website can they be purchased from? You can mount regular street tires on them, right?
I know for a fact that the RT's and the new GT's are available in the street version and back when I purchased the one for my mustang(3 years ago) they had the D10's available. Yes you definately run street tires on them. These wheels are VERY strong and my 15x10's on the mustang weigh less than the Prostars that I had before. I paid right at $1k for the ones on the mustang and I honestly dont know what the I have ordered are gonna cost(hopefully close to the same!)
As far as a website I dont really know. I've been ordering wheels directly from Rich Bogart for years so I normally just call him up and tell him what i want. I originally wanted the Street RT's for my WS6 but he told me about the new GT's and that he hasnt even made a set yet so I figured I'd give them a shot! The Phone # is on their website. Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

I know for a fact that the RT's and the new GT's are available in the street version and back when I purchased the one for my mustang(3 years ago) they had the D10's available. Yes you definately run street tires on them. These wheels are VERY strong and my 15x10's on the mustang weigh less than the Prostars that I had before. I paid right at $1k for the ones on the mustang and I honestly dont know what the I have ordered are gonna cost(hopefully close to the same!)
As far as a website I dont really know. I've been ordering wheels directly from Rich Bogart for years so I normally just call him up and tell him what i want. I originally wanted the Street RT's for my WS6 but he told me about the new GT's and that he hasnt even made a set yet so I figured I'd give them a shot! The Phone # is on their website. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I think the RT's would look perfect. What do the new GT's look like? Any pics? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

Dont have any pics but the are very similar to the RT. The difference being the spokes are angle cut and polished on the sides,they look pretty good!

Quick Reply: Drag Wheels as a Daily Driver?