Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Goodyear GSC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Goodyear GSC?

I have a buddy with a 2000 TA with the stock 16 inch chrome wheels and he continues to use the Goodyear GSC's. He ended up having an extra GSC that he bought used and now has one tire that has to be replaced and is planning to put the used one on in its place... However, the used one is for the passenger side and the bad tire is on the driver's side...

Will it be OK to run the passenger side GSC on the driver's side? The rotation will still be in the right direction, which is the main concern - but not sure about the different side issue since the GSC's are made to be "side specific"?

Let me know what you think or if you have any experience with this. The tire will go on the rear if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Not a good idea but if you really want to do it you can. He will get a vibration because the direction is wrong. If he really wants to do it he can though. Those tires are designed to be left and right tires so they have 2 different product codes and two listings for the lefts and rights
Old 11-02-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

I don't understand how the roatation will be in the right direction when it is going on the wrong side of the car....that makes no sense...if you put the tire on the wrong side doesnt that mean it is roatation the WRONG way? If I put one of my passenger side tires on my drivers side the tire is not rotating in the correct way, so I don't understand why you are saying it is still going to be rotating in the right direction, because it will not be.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what he is saying is the tire will actually be flipped - it'll be rolling in the correct direction but the inside will be on the outside.

This will look funny, and it may handle funny. It shouldn't create any extra vibration, but the odd handling might be a problem. Or he might not notice at all. On those tires the outside sidewall and tread pattern is made to bear cornering loads. It is probably not a good idea to do the flipperoo.

I think he'd be better off selling it and getting new tires.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Look my last post might have been vague i'll try to explain it better. These tires are not your average directional tires......... They are made so that they have two different sides a left and a right. They have the pattern where you can only mount the driver side on the driver side and the passenger side on the passenger side. They have two different d.o.t. codes and I work for goodyear so they have two different product codes........... in other words they are two different tires. You should not mount the driver side tire on the passenger side of the car and vice versa do you understand now I dont' know how more clear I can make this post???
Old 11-03-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Todddchi and SuperSport understood my question and I appreciate your input. Thanks alot. I wouldn't do it myself and told him that right off and told him that I am sure it "wouldn't be recommended" - but I wanted to try and give him a definite no if possible. His thing is that he is on a tight budget and wanted to try and make due with what he had if possible. I will print off your responses and then it will be in his hands. Thanks again!