Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Chrome peeling on OEM rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Chrome peeling on OEM rims

Has anyone else had a problem with the chrome on the rims peeling on the stock GM rims? I know that my car sat for about a year, but the chrome on the inside of the rubber is peeling to where I can't get a proper air seal . Does anybody know of a place that would know how to fix these in the NY area? How much something like that might run?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smoothie 4 spoke Z28 chrome rims had a service bulletin about this. The chrome plating on the inside (barrel) is too thin. Nearly all of these rims will do this in a couple years in any sort of salt climate.

There is no cheap "right" fix. Your viable options are to buy a replacement wheel (~50-100 on ebay), or sell what you've got and go aftermarket.

Decent enough smooth chrome 5 spokes fetch decent cash on ebay, maybe 300-400 bones for a set.

I recommend painting the barrels if you live in a salty climate, or tend to neglect your wheels.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All chrome wheels eventually peel. Chryseler wheels are the worst. depending on how far gone they are, there are several things that can be done. Sometimes you can get them to seal by using a rubber bead sealer. A tire shop like Discount Tire (if you have them in NY) can dismount the tire and generously apply the rubber sealer on the inside of the wheel where the tire seats. Also, we use a clay type marker to write on tires. Applying a layer of this clay marker to the inside of the wheel can also stop them from leaking. I've done it hundreds of times and both methods work 9 times out of ten. Remember that it is only a quick fix. If the tire is dismounted, it most likely will have to be sealed again. When you take it in, they'll probably try to sell you some new wheels. But if you kiss their *** and say you'll come back when you get some money, they mostlikely will do the job. Just don't fall into their BS about "Oh you need new wheels, these wheels are shot...." They just want your money.