Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How long should it take? Boyds and DTD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How long should it take? Boyds and DTD?

I ordered some Boyd wheels and some 315/35/17 and 275/40/17 GS-D3's from DTD on the 15th of Sept. and its been about 8 weeks now, I'm just kind of curious those who ordered Boyd wheels with tires how long it took to get em'. Normally I wouldn't be worried at all, but I go out of town Wed. for 2 weeks and I was kinda hopin they'd be here before then. I haven't called or anything because I don't wanna bother them, I sent Luke @ DTD a message but I'm pretty sure he's getting/recovering from surgery or something so I don't really expect him to get back to me. I'm just kind curious what you guys waited, I also wanna put em on too!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7 or 8 weeks for me. I ordered mine through the local DT store. Then when they did show up one hoop was bent so it went back. So it was another 4-5 waiting on that one to be fixed. I was glad it was last winter.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

I'll be goin nuts if that happens! Hopefully it won't!
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

Boyd's quality had gone to ****,hopefully with American Racing owning Boyd's wheel company now they will be better.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Just talked to Kellen at DTD, very cool guy. He said that the GS-D3's are out of stock with no ETA and the wheels have been in for a week. I'm going to have them ship the wheels to me and I'll find tires elsewhere as DTD only has 2 other options in 315's and they are both DR's which I really can't do with winter coming. Hopefully the wheels will be in this week and I can get them mounted with tires when I get back from Dubai!

EDIT: Just spoke with another guy there, Bob the Sales Manager, very very cool people over there. I decided to wait on some K/D's instead and they will ship them when I get back from Dubai!! I HIGHLY recommend DTD to anybody looking for wheels or tires or both. Great sponser!

Last edited by 'Trust'; 11-13-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I noticed your thread this morning and asked Bob to look into getting tires for you since your wheels had come in and you were going out of town. I see now that he found a resolution and has contacted you. As well as Luke, I also monitor and answer questions here on LS1tech so, if anything else comes up, feel free to contact me. Hope you are happy with the wheels and post some pics when you get them on.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

I guess that is why Bob called me, thats awesome. You guys have done a very good job handling my order and I will be sure to get pictures up ASAP. Bob wanted me to call once I'm back in town so you guys can ship them out for me. What I thought I'd do is call on the 24th (a Friday) and ask them to be shipped, I'll be back on the 26th which is a Sunday so hopefully that may aid in them coming a little faster. Have you seen the wheels yourself? If so.. how do they look?! I'm pumped. Thanks again!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 PM

Unfortunately, I have not seen the wheels. I am in Phoenix and the wheels are in our Dallas distribution center. As far as the shipping goes, UPS is closed the 24th, the day after Thanksgiving but, if you call on Wed. the 22nd, we can get the set shipped that day. Nothing will move Thurs. or Fri. but, at least UPS will have them. Freight time from Dallas shouldn't be more than two or three days so, I would guess that you would have them the following Tues. or Wed. I can't guarantee this though, it's just my best guess. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rocket22
Boyd's quality had gone to ****,hopefully with American Racing owning Boyd's wheel company now they will be better.
Not sure, mine are perfect.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trust
I'll be goin nuts if that happens! Hopefully it won't!
Nah, you'll be fine. Can't wait to see them on a T/A.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

My girlfriend ordered a set of Smoothie II's for her '02 T/A. Took about 13 weeks to get here. That's where the fun begins!

The rims were JACKED UP out of the box. The part that mounts to the hub (rotor) was completely chewed up like some hydrolic vise had grabbed it with all it's might. You can clearly see this when the rims are on the car...that part is visible.
The backside lips were completely (and I mean completely) scratched up. Not little surface scratches.....gouges.

So we were just at the SEMA show...and guess what...Boyd Coddington was there! We got in line with everyone else who was gawking and waiting for his autograph. We finally got up to him and my gf asked him why her rims came that way.

The guy never smiled and just shrugged his shoulders like he didn't car and said "things happen...next person". That's when she started chewing him out. Boyd's wife (who was next to him signing the same poster) finally chewed him out and told him to get her information and get her taken care of.

That was on Thursday at the SEMA show. We got back and that Monday the new rims were here! Guess what???? THEY WERE EVEN MORE JACKED UP THAN THE FIRST SET!!!!

Besides having the same problems as the first set....the back of the wheel looked like peeling chrome (best way I can describe it). There's only one problem....there's no chrome or coating on those wheels....it was the METAL PEELING AND SEPERATING!!!

Now we have the VP of the NM Discount Tire Co. and a few others stepping in to take care of things. Hopefully this 3rd set will come out right. If you have your rims...I would open them up and take a good look at them now......

And BTW....my gf bought her '02 T/A brand new...it's a 6-speed...and she knows how to drive it!

Last edited by mrws6speed; 11-13-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

I don't have them the guys at DTD do, they've checked them out and apparently everything is good. What I don't understand is that AR owns Boyd Wheels now... why would he have anything to do with them?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

I don't have them the guys at DTD do, they've checked them out and apparently everything is good.
They look ok when you pop open the box....it's when you pull them out of the box that you notice all these things. My guess is they just poped open the box...looked at them and closed the box back up.

Boyd is making the same set and we're buying them through the same company....so I would really have them checked out....just my $.02...
Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

I just sent a PM to the guy higher up in the thread, hopefully he can have someone check them out pretty well. They seemed like very cool guys so hopefully they'll let me know before mounting tires.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

I just sent a PM to the guy higher up in the thread, hopefully he can have someone check them out pretty well. They seemed like very cool guys so hopefully they'll let me know before mounting tires.
Yeah....the guys at Discount Tire are awesome.....but it would suck to have to wait again for the wheels. If there's a problem...might as well find out now.....I really hope you don't have the same experience.......

If you do have a problem....have them contact me....obviously Discount Tire is already involved with them on my end and hopefully they can coordinate efforts to put pressure on them.....I wouldn't wish what we've gone through on anyone though.......
Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, I will for sure, and thanks for the heads up. I've dealt with some bad crap over orders from different people/companies, usually a call from the BBB and an inquiry from the FBI from a fraud file gets them in the right direction. The thing is if it crosses state lines it becomes federal, especially if they are using a mail carrier opposed to their own transport. If its not as described there are some decent penalties.

EDIT: If Boyd wont' budge, try this http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/ it may get things moving. Usually a call from the FBI scares them enough to make it right.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Took 32 weeks to get mine....but not through DTD. Ordered mine back when Boy Coddington was building them.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

FWIW, my buddy DD his ls1/t56 second gen RX-7 with 275Nitto DR's all winter and never had a problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:39 PM

Trust, I sent you a pm with an update on your wheels.