Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Holeshots (Drag Wheels) on a street car

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holeshots (Drag Wheels) on a street car

Hey guys I am thinking about putting Holeshot Hole Stars on my street driven GTO.

They are supposed to be very durable (Much more so than Bogarts) as far as driving them on the street.

Here are pictures of them. (I will not be getting anodized... Just polished Al.)

What do you guys think? Who daily drives there drag wheels here?

I am going to be getting ET Streets for the rear but not so sure about up front... And sugestions for a good streetable skinny that would make a good match with ET Streets?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2006, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Where can you buy those at?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those wheels are bolted together. they are not intended for street use at all. call up holeshot and ask yourself.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
those wheels are bolted together. they are not intended for street use at all. call up holeshot and ask yourself.

They hold up a lot better than Bogarts Welds...
Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AppleMac
They hold up a lot better than Bogarts Welds...
A highly-blanketed statement considering we design many types of wheels...I'd like to know where how one has come to that conclusion...the internet is fed with many rumors.

I'd put them up against any of our P1 drag wheels...I firmly believe that the outcome will be much different then what you may have read.

You're car is very heavy, no drag wheel for daily street use should be used fwiw...

Steve
Old 11-20-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

If you think it will be ok do it.There's alot of people that run drag wheels on the street,I did on my pro street car.It's all in what you feel ok with.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

lots of people drive bolted together wheels on the street. myself included. it doesnt matter if you run bogarts, weld alumastars (me), or holeshots, you run the VERY real risk of breaking the wheel.

i dont think you really understand that the face of the wheel is bolted to the ring of the wheel. if you did, you wouldnt drive them on a DD. i wouldnt at ALL. the occation cruise and drive to the track if fine (what i do).

people who think that bogarts are "weaker" than any other bolted drag wheel are not informed at all.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
You're car is very heavy, no drag wheel for daily street use should be used fwiw...

Steve

Steve, I realize this is off topic but I have always wondered about building a 4th gen with a big block. Would Bogarts hold up? (at the track)
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

A highly-blanketed statement considering we design many types of wheels...I'd like to know where how one has come to that conclusion...the internet is fed with many rumors.

I'd put them up against any of our P1 drag wheels...I firmly believe that the outcome will be much different then what you may have read.

Steve

Numerous people on LS1gto have broken bogarts.

No one has broken a Hole shot and lots of people drive them on the street.

One guy over there has been daily driving his holeshots for a couple years...

Another guy broke a set of bogarts and bought a set of holeshots... He has since driven 8K street miles on his holeshots....

I am not making this stuff up... Numerous people are breaking bogarts and a lot of them are switching to holeshot....

I will be getting the holeshot wheel with the thicker center for durability.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes - they will. i have seen many BBC/SBC turbo/blower cars that run bogarts in 4th gens.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
yes - they will. i have seen many BBC/SBC turbo/blower cars that run bogarts in 4th gens.
cool.

But why wouldn't they? They are meant for the strip.

I want something that can take me there, race and then drive home...

I am not into putting a jack in my car along with 4 wheels and a tool box...
Old 11-20-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

IT seems like you are waiting for some to say ok,if you know guys doing it with good results,it might be but you have to make choice based on your on thought's.

I wouldn't on a DD,my pro street car was a weekend toy,so I wasn't to worried about it.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Actually the only 3 questions asked here were:

What do you guys think?

Who daily drives there drag wheels here?

And sugestions for a good streetable skinny that would make a good match with ET Streets?

Those a reasonable questions right? I didn't want to start a bogart war.... but hey...
Old 11-20-2006, 08:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AppleMac
Numerous people on LS1gto have broken bogarts.
No one has broken a Hole shot and lots of people drive them on the street.
One guy over there has been daily driving his holeshots for a couple years...
Another guy broke a set of bogarts and bought a set of holeshots... He has since driven 8K street miles on his holeshots....
I am not making this stuff up... Numerous people are breaking bogarts and a lot of them are switching to holeshot....
I will be getting the holeshot wheel with the thicker center for durability.
I answered your question. I told you that you should never daily drive on ANY drag wheel. It is ridiculous to consider a car that is a daily driver and use it for 13,000 miles a year (typical daily driven car). Handling suffers considerably; you need to be cautious driving since steering and braking characteristics completely change etc.

There are many drivers using drag wheels with incorrect setups with vendors suggesting setups that are far from advisable...tire/wheel combo's.

When you state numerous people have damaged our Bogart’s...I know that is an overstatement first hand. Consider this, I setup designs back (for the GTO) in 2003 so they have been around for some-time and more folks have been using our setups then others out there...the higher the number of users, the greater chance you may find someone damaging a wheel. Especially when they are told by a vendor to run a completely incorrect wheel setup!! You guys using these wheels with radial front tires that are not speed rated...too small for the wheel etc are asking for trouble...couple this on a heavy car…you’ve got a disaster waiting to happen.

The center section fwiw of the holeshot has a very weak area located near the edge of the thin spoke-area...the material center is similar thickness as what our Bogart’s use...material selection plays an important role to the strength and durability of a wheel...there are different grades of material to consider, so thickness certainly isn' t what should make you feel secure.

The holeshots do NOT weld the inner and outer shells together as our Bogart’s are welded...our Bogart non-bolted AND bolted series are welded in these areas. This decreases the stress area near the bolt holes. The SHELLS are the weakest area and should be of most concern for you NOT the center section.

I do not want to create an argument many of you folks are not setting up combo's correctly...I am not just talking from my butt...I work with and see this stuff everyday. My extensive Engineering background, very close working relationship with Rich Bogart and experience gives me the ability to give an expert opinion for you. It is your choice to hear what I have to say or ignore me. You need to do what makes you feel best.

You brought up the Bogart/Holeshot comparison, so I am showing to you that you are incorrect in your assumptions.

If as you stated “you’re getting the wheel”, why bother asking what others “think” if you don’t want to hear it.

Holeshot wheels are drag specific wheels...I would go as far and suggest that a prostar would be much more durable then the wheel you're considering. Holestars are similar in design (material thickness) to our P2 wheels...which I wouldn't recommend for your car either.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 11-20-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

I answered your question. I told you that you should never daily drive on ANY drag wheel. It is ridiculous to consider a car that is a daily driver and use it for 13,000 miles a year (typical daily driven car). Handling suffers considerably; you need to be cautious driving since steering and braking characteristics completely change etc.

There are many drivers using drag wheels with incorrect setups with vendors suggesting setups that are far from advisable...tire/wheel combo's.

When you state numerous people have damaged our Bogart’s...I know that is an overstatement first hand. Consider this, I setup designs back (for the GTO) in 2003 so they have been around for some-time and more folks have been using our setups then others out there...the higher the number of users, the greater chance you may find someone damaging a wheel. Especially when they are told by a vendor to run a completely incorrect wheel setup!! You guys using these wheels with radial front tires that are not speed rated...too small for the wheel etc are asking for trouble...couple this on a heavy car…you’ve got a disaster waiting to happen.

The center section fwiw of the holeshot has a very weak area located near the edge of the thin spoke-area...the material center is similar thickness as what our Bogart’s use...material selection plays an important role to the strength and durability of a wheel...there are different grades of material to consider, so thickness certainly isn' t what should make you feel secure.

The holeshots do NOT weld the inner and outer shells together as our Bogart’s are welded...our Bogart non-bolted AND bolted series are welded in these areas. This decreases the stress area near the bolt holes. The SHELLS are the weakest area and should be of most concern for you NOT the center section.

I do not want to create an argument many of you folks are not setting up combo's correctly...I am not just talking from my butt...I work with and see this stuff everyday. My extensive Engineering background, very close working relationship with Rich Bogart and experience gives me the ability to give an expert opinion for you. It is your choice to hear what I have to say or ignore me. You need to do what makes you feel best.

You brought up the Bogart/Holeshot comparison, so I am showing to you that you are incorrect in your assumptions.

If as you stated “you’re getting the wheel”, why bother asking what others “think” if you don’t want to hear it.

Holeshot wheels are drag specific wheels...I would go as far and suggest that a prostar would be much more durable then the wheel you're considering. Holestars are similar in design (material thickness) to our P2 wheels...which I wouldn't recommend for your car either.
Hey,

Not discrediting you at all. You seem very knowledgeable.

Maybe we should take this too PM? EDIT: or not... just saw you don't have PM's activated...

Well I need drag wheels that we be able to to be driven on the street. The car is a DD but only about 6K miles per year...

What would you suggest? Please be unbiased as possible.

Also what Tires would you use for the skinnies? I am planning on 15X4" wheels...

Rears will have E/T Streets DR's (15X9)

Last edited by AppleMac; 11-20-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

For front tires, I plan to run Mickey Thompson Sportsmans. The 8 ply versions are the ones for heavier cars (like ours).

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...16339_-1_36694

I ordered part number 672-1573 - 26'' x 7.5'' - 15''LT to go on my 15x4 Bogart D10s.

Steve - if this tire isn't recommended, please post.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

That is the exact tire I was looking at.

I am planning on getting the Sportsmans 1573 26X7.50-15 8 PLY for the front

And the ET Street Radial 3753R P275/50R15 for the rear.

And as said before, Steve please let us know what you think about the use of those tires?

Basicly I want a good street setup... (car will be on the street 95% of the time and maybe 5% of the time on the track)
Old 11-21-2006, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
For front tires, I plan to run Mickey Thompson Sportsmans. The 8 ply versions are the ones for heavier cars (like ours).

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...16339_-1_36694

I ordered part number 672-1573 - 26'' x 7.5'' - 15''LT to go on my 15x4 Bogart D10s.

Steve - if this tire isn't recommended, please post.
Joey, 1573 is a good choice. If you're looking for a very good race tire, consider the MT ET fronts or Moroso DS2's. Do not use those skinny radials that you see some suggesting.

Apple, unfortunately, you are limited in your choices due to your GTO bolt pattern. If you want a wheel that is going to be more durable and used for a considerable amount of street use on a very heavy car, you may consider our two piece street/strip wheels. You could also consider moving to our RR wheels both going with a slightly wider width front-wheel (both wheel types). You could stay with a 15” wheel from these as well. Wider wheels being suggested does not make them stronger or more durable, it is the process and materials used. 4" wheels are not available in this style.

If I had to pick between the two wheels that you originally suggested our P1’s or Holeshot’s, obviously for the reasons that I posted, I feel our P1 wheels would be more durable.

You need to choose what you feel most comfortable with and prefer.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Joey, 1573 is a good choice. If you're looking for a very good race tire, consider the MT ET fronts or Moroso DS2's. Do not use those skinny radials that you see some suggesting.

Apple, unfortunately, you are limited in your choices due to your GTO bolt pattern. If you want a wheel that is going to be more durable and used for a considerable amount of street use on a very heavy car, you may consider our two piece street/strip wheels. You could also consider moving to our RR wheels both going with a slightly wider width front-wheel (both wheel types). You could stay with a 15” wheel from these as well. Wider wheels being suggested does not make them stronger or more durable, it is the process and materials used. 4" wheels are not available in this style.

If I had to pick between the two wheels that you originally suggested our P1’s or Holeshot’s, obviously for the reasons that I posted, I feel our P1 wheels would be more durable.

You need to choose what you feel most comfortable with and prefer.

I would love some RR wheels but I had heard that they are very expensive... (Over 400 per wheel) Is this in the ballpark?

I really love the RR 10. It is a gorgeous wheel. How do these hold up on the street?

I would be very interested in getting these if they did not cost me an arm and a leg.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

i have a set of holeshot holestars and would NOT daily them

Quick Reply: Holeshots (Drag Wheels) on a street car