Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How much clearance is needed between the tire and inner fender well

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How much clearance is needed between the tire and inner fender well

I put on my 315's today (555r's on a 17x11 50mm offset) and I have about 1/2 inch clearance between the tire and inner fender. I drove it around over some speedbumps and took some fast turns and it didn't rub, or atleast I didn't hear it rub. Should 1/2 be enough?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A smart engineer once told me that there are two ways to deal with a problem such as this:

1) study the problem, quantify the variables, lay out a free-body diagram (if you can), solve some equations, and apply the results.

OR

2) test the **** out of it, see if something breaks, and go from there.

I like a little of both.

Seriously, though, if you have 0.5" clearance then my guess would be that you have plenty of room. Sounds like your own testing has confirmed that too...

My deeper question is if someone told you that you didn't have enough clearance, yet you drove the **** out of the car and witnessed no ill effects would you still change something?

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I put on my 315's today (555r's on a 17x11 50mm offset) and I have about 1/2 inch clearance between the tire and inner fender. I drove it around over some speedbumps and took some fast turns and it didn't rub, or atleast I didn't hear it rub. Should 1/2 be enough?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

After driving around for a while, take the wheels off and check for rub marks on the fender. If it's rubbing you will see exactly where to hammer.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Each car flexes a little different. The only real way to determine the minimal amount is to put them on and try it. My car has about 1/8th" between my wheel and the bump stop but it doesn't rub because I run rod ends. 1/2" should be plenty IMHO.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine rubbed on the inner lip on the insde of the tire so I adjusted the PHB to center the axle. i fixed the rubbing but then I couldn't hit bumps too fast because the bump stop sits in the inner rim and when the suspension would go up from a bump the bs would hit the inner rim lip. Also, when I had it in the air it bent the metal bs mount because the springs uncompressed due to it bein off the ground. I seriously thought I broke something. I removed the ds bump stop and now the passenger side rubs on deep, slow dips in the road. I will probably put a 1/8" spacer on because I need like a tad bit more clearance to stop rubbing. My buddy has 2 spacers so I will get them and then do a write up.

Quick Reply: How much clearance is needed between the tire and inner fender well