Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help diagnosing a vibration...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help diagnosing a vibration...

How common is it for wheels to need hub-centering rings? I've had a nasty vibration since I've gotten the Z06 Replica wheels that I have on the car now. Not sure what manufacturer, because I got them used.

I have personally balanced the wheels and they are perfectly balanced.

I don't know how much lug choice affects how wheels seat, but the seats where the lugs go in look kinda worn badly. Is this a common cause of vibration?

I also was wondering if I possibly need hub-centering rings, and where I can buy them from.

I have a really bad vibration now from the driveshaft being 180 out, but it just makes the other vibration worse. It vibrates whether the DS is right or not.

I know that it has SOMETHING to do with the wheels, because with the stock snowflakes on there, the car rode smooth as silk at any speed. Now anywhere 60 or above, it just shakes the whole car. My steering wheel, passenger seat, and generally everything in the car shake.

Any help/suggestions that you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Allen
Old 12-12-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes the wheel/tire assys balance out well but still cause vibration because of the runout being excessive. While you have them on the machince, you should be able to view the outer edge of the tire and there should be very little runout (less is better). Another problem is raised or flat spots in the tire. Again, you can see these when the tires are spinning. It helps to take a piece of chalk and lightly touch the center of the tread area to show high or low spots. Sometimes taking the tire off the rim, rotating it 180 degrees and re-installing helps.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Sometimes the wheel/tire assys balance out well but still cause vibration because of the runout being excessive. While you have them on the machince, you should be able to view the outer edge of the tire and there should be very little runout (less is better). Another problem is raised or flat spots in the tire. Again, you can see these when the tires are spinning. It helps to take a piece of chalk and lightly touch the center of the tread area to show high or low spots. Sometimes taking the tire off the rim, rotating it 180 degrees and re-installing helps.
look for a Hunter GSP-9700 and an operator who knows how to match mount and road force balance with it.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

I did several things tonight hoping that it would make the vibration better, but no such luck. It's a little better. Not quite jar my goddamn teeth out anymore.

-torqued all the lugs ( they were 5-10 lbs off)
-rotated the DS 180*
-checked to make sure that wheels fit tight on the hubs, they did
-pushed up and down and side to side on the u-joint. It seems alright
-checked the tire pressures, and all are at 32 psi.

I did notice one thing though, the pinion yoke is slightly off compared to the housing. In that I mean the flat surface that faces the housing is at a slight angle. Could this be my problem?

I know that this is silly, but I do have one different lug on the pass front wheel. It's a 3/4 whereas all the other lugs on that wheel are 13/16.

One thing that I did notice is that with the DS right, the vibration is no longer constant. Now it's cyclical. It will be fine one moment, then build up to a peak, then go back to being fine and repeat. Does that tell you guys anything? I drove it at many different constant speeds, and it's the same regardless what speed you go.

I could really use some help, this vibration is driving me nuts.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

That cyclical part makes it sound more like a u-joint or pinion angle problem. Have you done anything to affect pinion angle? You might not be able to feel bad u-joints until they are about to fall off.

JR HAWK 9 - Thanks for the tip; I'll know what to ask for next time.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Hey Allen! Those wheels dont need hub rings. The wheel is made to fit the hub on the axles. I will let you know if I fix the vib in my car tonight. Now that i have the parts to put the car back together.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!

The manufacturer installs those lil pesky metal clips on the brake rotors to hold them on during the build process. Make sure you remove them. It may seem like a thin piece of metal but it WILL make some wheels out of whack.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

I figured it out tonight. The tire has some SEVERE runout. I'm talking if you watch it, it jumps up and down by at least 3/4 of an inch. It looks as if it's egg-shaped. Do I have a belt gone out? These are Sumitumo 275/40/17's, by the way. It looks like it's just the tire, not the rim.

The passenger side is fine, but the driver's is horrible. I guess I might need to invest in two new tires, as well as have the rim checked.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Confirmed that it's 90% the rim/tire tonight. I swapped Ele-Blue's wheels and tires on, and the vibration that I was feeling is all but gone. Time to have everything checked, and get two new tires.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

after owning sumitomos and knowing others with them, i'd say ditch them asap for a better tire.