Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How should I align my car when I get new front tires? Major wear problem right now!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I align my car when I get new front tires? Major wear problem right now!

I looked at my front tires today (Yokohama AVS Sport, 275/40/17) and was in shock when I saw that on both front tires, the inside shoulder was completely gone to the point that the threads are showing. Needless to say that I am not driving the car until I get new tires!

When I initially got the tires, the car was aligned by the dealer to "factory specs". After a good 2 years of usage, I noticed that the very inside of each tire was wearing much worse than the rest of the tire. I'd say about an inch of the inner most portion of the tire is the one wearing the most. I had the dealer check the alignment again, and they told me that it was off a little, but not too bad and that they adjusted it again. Well now, about 6 months later the tires are in the present unacceptable condition.

Instead of the dealer dialing in "factory specs" again...which apparently didn't work, or just meant they didn't do anything, what specs should I ask for so I won't have this wear problem with my new tires?

I don't autocross, I really don't drive the car hard, I don't do much cornering, yet this crazy alignment caused my front tires to wear out faster than my rear tires which are about 6 months older than the fronts!!!

Thanks for any advice!

Manny
Old 12-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Launching!

If its a dealer they prob didnt have the right tool to do the camber. I work for a dealer and its a 2 sided hook with an adj in the middle. All I can say is take it somewhere else that has the tool.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok...once I find a shop that can do that, any suggestions on the proper specs the car should be set to?