Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Should I Go From 315 to 275?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Should I Go From 315 to 275?

Hey guys, I have the TTII's in 11" in the rear, but I'm considering having the rear rims narrowed to 9.5 so I can run a matching set of Nitto 555RII tires front and rear. I'd still have the fat lip and the offset so it will still look cool, just not as wide when looking at it from the rear. The difference in tire prices almost pays for the narrowing so I'm kind of torn.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats not smart. keep the 11's if tires are a problem find you some that last longer then the nittos
Old 02-08-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say keep the 315's nothing like pulling up behind an fbod with some big meats in the back.

do you want them the same size so you can rotate them or something? you can probably find someone in houston willing to trade straight up on the rears and you wouldnt have to spend any money
Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

There would be no way to rotate them as the narrowed rim would stick out more. That's not why I'm doing it. I want to go to a 275 as that is the only size the 555RII is made (aside from the 18 inch ones).

If they made the 555 in 315 I'd probably get it.

The GSD3 in 315 is about $100 more than the 275 plus it doesn't match at all.

Nitto said they may make the RII in 315/35/17, but that hasn't happened yet. The drag radials are OK, but are just too soft in the sidewall and it hurts high speed stability. I wish they would make them as they would be perfect for me.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

I can't see why not, The offset of the rear rims would still give the apearance of a wide tire. I don't think you could rotate them, the front would then stick out 1" or so. I'm sure you could find a straight across trade for a 9.5" and then use a small spacer to move the rear out some more. Then you could rotate no problem. Up to you, it's isn't a bad idea.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

The point of narrowing the rim is to have the fat lip that the 9.5 rim does not have while being able to use a 275 tire. It's like the best of both worlds.

I've never rotated tires and don't plan to start. I get even wear out of all 4 with the right tire pressures, toe and camber.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

With the rain system that's come on lately I've considered the same thing, to step down the tire size. There is construction a half-mile away from my house which has left a butt-ton of sand/gravel on a huge patch of the road, thanks to whichever ******* is rebuilding their house, or if I go the other way to the freeway the rain has now freed up any defects in the road and broken it up quite a bit. Only rained steadily for 2 days. But, thanks to my new 315 555DRs I get every freakin pebble-sized piece of road-debris slung up into my rear wheel wells. Well, I'm dreading the day it stops raining and I wash the car. I will no doubt find rock chips and etches around the rear part of the bumper. Ugh. Man is that one nasty sound when you hit a patch of broken road with these tires and hearing every bit of it.

With that aside, I'm in your boat too with being annoyed by their types of tires and sizes. I would have preferred a 555R2 in a 315 but they don't make it - instead I have 275 555R2 in front and 315DR in the back. I know they won't last long so I'm pondering what the combo will be before next fall.