Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Quick one before I order... 275 or 285 Nitto DR for me?

Old 03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Quick one before I order... 275 or 285 Nitto DR for me?

I'm debating between the two. I know they run smaller than average, which is why I was thinking about the 285's. They will be going on my stock 35th ss wheels which currently have 275 KDW's on them that don't hook worth a dime.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When did Nitto start making a 285/40 17 DR???
Old 03-22-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doh! They don't. I have no idea wtf I was thinking. Sorry about this whole thread I guess that makes my decision much easier.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

With as narrow as they are I wouldn't be surprised if the 315 fit on a 9" wheel...the sidewall looks stretched on my 11's. My front tires look right but the 555R's are too skinny. But talk of that is considered blasphemy on here.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey ArcticZ, I don't think Nitto DR's (assuming 555R) would be a big difference over the KDW for your power. I just got my 555R's in today but haven't put them on.. but that's besides the point. You don't DD your car, so have you thought about MT ET Streets?

We should get a small group and drive around some time since it's getting nicer out. Why do we have to wait for a f-body meet to hang out
Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Blackhawk, I've thought about putting some wider tires on the rear than is considered safe, but I'm just not sure I'd be willing to risk that. I know a lot of people do it, but I just haven't been able to convince myself to do it... especially not considering I will be getting some 11's out back sometime in the near future, I just want these tires to hook better in the meantime until I find a set of wheels that I want.

Mitchell, I'm interested to see how those hold up for you. You are just asking for a blown rear with your T/A and stickier tires... but I like your thinking I'm ready to slowly destroy mine, and the Nitto's would be a step closer to that. I don't DD it, so the ET Street Radials would technically work, but I do sometimes get caught in the rain and do travel on the highway a decent amount... so I'm not sure I would be comfortable with some of those. BTW, I was up at BWU's last week with some people, thought about giving you a call but we were all 21+ so it wouldn't have been too fun for ya I'm down for a drive whenever.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jon, I'll let you know about the tires. I don't know when I'll put them on. I was going to wait a while to make sure the hot weather is going to stay.. to avoid the random blizzard after a hot day! Or put them on a few days before whenever I go to the drag strip to keep them new. Break the rear end? This is a LT1 remember . I'm going to teach myself to be easy with the rear. My current street tires hook from 10mph+, so I'm going to try and only launch from a stop when I'm at the strip.
Don't let this 18 year old body trick you, I can play off a 21 year old lol. That's cool that you thought of me though. I hung out with Birdmanls1 and met some other locals on here. Basically people faster than me . So a day of driving around would be fun.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

All I'm lookin forward to is friggin hooking at all! I've yet to experience the power I'm putting down without spinning through first, second, and the start of third.

Search this Thread