Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Anyone fill their tires with Nitrogen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone fill their tires with Nitrogen?

just found this while doing a search on pirelli

If you’ve been listening to car guys for the past little while, you may have heard a few folks talk about filling tires with nitrogen, and wondered why. Well, we gave Mort Koch at Tire Trends a call, and asked why they fill their orders with nitrogen as opposed to air, and were somewhat surprised at the response we got, not because it wasn’t what we expected, but rather because it seemed to be one of those rare occurrences where there’s no downside to doing it. First off, Mort explained that nitrogen is less volatile than air, meaning it doesn’t contract and expand like air does when faced with temperature variations. That means no more remembering to fill up the tires in the winter, and no more letting air out in the summer. Also a major plus, because nitrogen is devoid of water, it won’t corrode your wheels like air. If you’ve ever seen a wheel that’s been stuck inside a tire for any amount of time, be it steel or aluminum, you’ve seen what air can do to a brand new wheel. Filling with nitrogen means that no matter how long your wheels sit there, wrapped in rubber, their insides will still look brand new when you pop the old tires off. Lastly, because nitrogen molecules are considerably larger than air, they don’t leak through the tire like air. That’s right, rubber is porous, and every minute of every day, hundreds of air molecules are escaping from your tires and there’s nothing you can do to stop them. That’s why any car left for long periods of time eventually gets flat tires. Sounds pretty good, eh? So, next question, where can you get nitrogen? Well, that depends on where you are. Sure, Tire Trends fills all their wheel/tire combos with nitrogen so you can just go ahead and order some new wheels and tires, or you can call around to your local tire shops and see if they fill their customers’ tires with nitrogen; if so, we’re sure they’ll help you out.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Teching In

It worked well in my 2500HD, but I keep my cars with air. If it's for the Silverado you have, I'd recommend it.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

My new Wide Ovals are full of Nitro
Old 04-08-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an aircraft mechanic, and we use nitrogen in all the tires because of altitude pressure changes and heat expansion. Also, corrosion is a HUGE issue with planes and helicopters. That is true about air corroding the inner wheel.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

The tire dealer that I bought from last time uses nitrogen and advertises it big. Racecars have been using it for years.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

you still have to maintain them though, just alot less, it is thicker so it SLOWS down the natural seepage through the tire structure. but alot more beneficial, on non race cars its even more beneficial, as it lets the tire run cooler also. which in turn helps it wear better.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I'll Be!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

that dosen't sound bad at all, cool find!

00' Formula A4, 3.23's, lid, catback..pacesetter's coming on soon
Old 04-08-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by svtwhat?
you still have to maintain them though, just alot less, it is thicker so it SLOWS down the natural seepage through the tire structure. but alot more beneficial, on non race cars its even more beneficial, as it lets the tire run cooler also. which in turn helps it wear better.
well, why dont the dealers and shops use nitrogen then?? all i see is benefits and no disadvantages. I guess maybe because they need ppl to wear their tires and keep on buyin new ones. so hard is to find a place that fills tires with nitrogen??
Old 04-08-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Yahelou
well, why dont the dealers and shops use nitrogen then?? all i see is benefits and no disadvantages. I guess maybe because they need ppl to wear their tires and keep on buyin new ones. so hard is to find a place that fills tires with nitrogen??
Most of them don't have nitrogen pumps on hand, while all of them use air compressors.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much does it cost to get air in your tires?

My air compressor is free! (minus electricity)

I let the air in and out of my tires too much to use nitrogen
Old 04-08-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

My daily driver has its tires filled with nitro, I bought rims for it at Super Autobacs in Los Angeles a couple months ago and they did it for free.

They pretty much told me the same thing when they were trying to make me pay for it and I said "no" since I figured they were full of ****, then they turned around and gave it to me for free. I think they were charging $25 or so for it, the ricers seem to have a huge hard on for it so it's a pretty big seller there.

I'm pretty happy I got it now after reading this, we'll see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by 4150; 04-09-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Ok i understand the benefits, but when the tire is mounted there is already a bunch of air in there so how do you get it out, or are you just mixing it which would seem to negate the fact that nitrogen doesnt contain water since there is air already there to cause corrosion.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:51 AM
12 Second Club

I almost always fill my tires with a mixture of about 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. The other 1% is various other gases such as Ar, CO2, ect. This system has worked well for over 100 years...don't see any reason to change it now.

Galen
Old 04-09-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TARaptor
Ok i understand the benefits, but when the tire is mounted there is already a bunch of air in there so how do you get it out, or are you just mixing it which would seem to negate the fact that nitrogen doesnt contain water since there is air already there to cause corrosion.
take the valve core out and let it completely run flat then inflate with nitrogen
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Galen
I almost always fill my tires with a mixture of about 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. The other 1% is various other gases such as Ar, CO2, ect. This system has worked well for over 100 years...don't see any reason to change it now.

Galen
I was going to post something similar Most people dont realize this...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

^lmao
Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

we were considering carrying no2 for tires here in missouri at dobbs.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Galen

Galen
TFF!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_atmosphere
Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 AM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I let the air in and out of my tires too much to use nitrogen
+1 on the T/A... I'd use it on my truck, though.