Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Telstar 15x4 and LS1 Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Telstar 15x4 and LS1 Front Brakes

I've spend the past two hours searching here AND the archive, and am not finding a clearly defined answer.

I have a 93 Trans Am with LS1 front brakes. I have centerline Telstar 15x4 front wheels (1 5/8 backspacing) and 15x8 rears with 5.5" backspacing. The rears are FINE on the strange. I test fit the fronts tonight after installing my SLP Line lock, and am glad I did. They did not clear by any means. These wheels were originally purchased with the intent of running them on my black car, but I've since sold that car so naturally they're going to be used on the car this thread is based around.

All of the grinding related stuff I've seen has been related to the REAR calipers. What I NEED to know is if the front calipers are able to be ground down for clearance from the Telstar 15x4's, or if it's absolutely necessary to run a 5/16" spacer and 2.5" underhead length studs. I would prefer not to run a spacer for a couple of reasons, mainly being keeping the tires tucked in a bit, but if I must, then I must.

So, can anyone shed some light on this?? Again, this is for the FRONT WHEELS ONLY, my rears are fine (LT1 brakes still).
Old 04-25-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

god question!somebody has an answer?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt run spacers with those wheels, there already at the fender line and a spacer would push them out to far past.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm working on the answer. I'm putting together a detailed write-up. I've found that some of the welds around the inside edge of the wheel are HUGE and have taken those town just a tad, and have almost clearanced the front driver caliper with an angle grinder, and haven't taken much meat off of the caliper yet. I do have a set of longer studs and 5/16 spacers coming tomorrow though, as a compare/contrast type of thing. More to come.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
I'm working on the answer. I'm putting together a detailed write-up. I've found that some of the welds around the inside edge of the wheel are HUGE and have taken those town just a tad, and have almost clearanced the front driver caliper with an angle grinder, and haven't taken much meat off of the caliper yet. I do have a set of longer studs and 5/16 spacers coming tomorrow though, as a compare/contrast type of thing. More to come.
now you can go get your wheels rebalanced.

dont forget
Old 04-25-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

They're just wheels so far. Haven't had them balanced yet. Good call though as I was planning on taking them in for mounting tomorrow and didn't even think of that. Thanks!

Noteworthy progression: I have one wheel (the only wheel/side I've been working on) spinning freely now. Just need to clearance a tiny bit more for a safety buffer. It takes some grinding on the brakes, but it's not that bad. Essentially the corner of the caliper has to be rounded, like the rears. But......This is with no spacer, no longer studs, just the Telstar and stock studs with acorn lug nuts.

I'm going to do a full write-up with pics and comparison with the 5/16" spacers all mounted up. figure this could be very useful information for those on a budget or not looking to run longer studs (for ease of swapping back and forth from track to street wheels).
Old 04-27-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have success. After some careful but spirited work with an angle grinder (hey, it's my first one), I have a 15x4 Telstar torqued down on the drivers side with no spacer, no longer studs (acorn nuts, no need for longer studs), and rotating freely. It's tight......really freaking tight clearance, but it works.

Some notes: The corner transition on the caliper is what needs to be taken down. It's not an extreme amount if you watch where you're grinding and do lots of checking (brake thickness will have an effect here). Also check the inside of the wheel because BOTH of mine had really high welds that I had to take down a tad too.

I'm in the process of building up a full write-up with pics and thoughts, which should be on my website this weekend as I have yet to publish the new website.

For giggles, I mocked up the wheel using the 5/16 spacers I got also. Stuck WAY out, and I would absolutely NEVER even consider trying to run a stock wheel stud with that setup. there was maybe 3-4 threads worth of engagement on the lug nuts. No freaking way there.

SUMMATION -- 15x4 Centerline Telstar skinnies with a 1 5/8" backspace WILL FIT over LS1 brakes with caliper clearancing.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SWEET. Email me a write-up when you get it!!! I am currently running into the same issue with my 18x9.5 Ruffs in the front and have a spacer for now.
dhwilliams@lithonia.com
Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

send me an email to that link also. Im gonna be using prostars, but I dont want to run the spacer. I need to have street rims on this car most of the time, so longer studs just wont do it for me!
polarisn1@hotmail.com
Thanks!
Cody
Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FirebirdStud
send me an email to that link also. Im gonna be using prostars, but I dont want to run the spacer. I need to have street rims on this car most of the time, so longer studs just wont do it for me!
polarisn1@hotmail.com
Thanks!
Cody
Cody, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but using the Pro-Stars you're going to NEED to run longer studs due to the SST lug nuts that are required for those wheels.

When I get the write up posted to my website, I'm just going to post a link guys.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright, guess that settles it.
Thanks man, and I still want to see how to make this work.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

supposedly they work fine with lt1 brakes because gm hightech had them on the grape of wrath
Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1pwrdss
supposedly they work fine with lt1 brakes because gm hightech had them on the grape of wrath
Telstar's yes, Pro Stars, no.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a write-up that I did, finally finished (still missing a "finished" pic with them on the car. This is a good explanation on how to get the 15x4 Telstar to fit the front of cars with LS1 front brakes.

http://www.fastbird93.com/Installations/Telstar.htm
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

I know this is an old thread but its good info and thanks for doing it.. Im undertaking the project tonight and this will help alot!

Quick Reply: Telstar 15x4 and LS1 Front Brakes