Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Jegs Prostar Skinnies Wheels & Summit Rears ( IMHO )

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jegs Prostar Skinnies Wheels & Summit Rears ( IMHO )

Hey Guys,
I just bought a set of Jegs 15x4 Jegs Prostars Skinnies $89.00 each and they fit great !! Now I did use a 5/16 spacer due to my new brakes and new drilled & slotted rotors I bought from the www.ws6store.com . The rotors are a little thicker than the stock ones .Other than that ,they fit great You need to use an acorn lug nut 12mm x 1.5

As for the rears , It seems Jegs do not offer a 5.5" backspacing , so now I'm looking at Summits Prostars . They offer a 15x 8 w/ 5.5 bs for $ 120 each. I don't know if they will fit without any grinding ,but they can't be much different than a Weld Prostar with the same specs . I'm working on getting that money together now .

I like the bogarts ,welds, & centerlines ,but why pay that much more for something thats not going to stay on my car no more than a few weekends a year . They may be heavier than a weld prostar , but I'm sure they are lighter than my Chrome 10-spoke SS wheels up front now . I got a price check the other day for a pair of bogart skinnies shipped to my house for $556.00 for 2 wheels !! I got my Jegs wheels shipped to my house for $191.00 for 2 wheels !! Now I'm not knocking bogarts at all and they make a great product ,but they cost way to much for me . I'm sure the sale of these wheels will go threw the roof once people get wind of them.

I just think it's great to finally buy a set of wheels for a good price . Just my $0.02 .
Attached Thumbnails Jegs Prostar Skinnies Wheels & Summit Rears ( IMHO )-20041106_006.jpg  
Old 04-27-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

I'm in the same boat as you; as often as they'd be on the car it doesn't make sense to pay the $$ for Bogarts (although if I had an unlimited budget I'd have them anyways). Keep us posted on the 15x8 5.5 BS.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

The rear summit do not fit without grinding. I talked to one guy on here and he set me pics. They look good, but you have to do as much if not more than a Weld to get it to fit.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

whats the weight on these jegs and summit wheels?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jeff M
The rear summit do not fit without grinding. I talked to one guy on here and he set me pics. They look good, but you have to do as much if not more than a Weld to get it to fit.
That doesn't suprise me at all. Oh well ,I guess I'll just keep the stock wheels on the rear with a set of BFG DR's and the skinnies up front. I'm sure I will see some kind of improvement in my ET .

As for the weight of the Jeg Prostars ...17 lbs compared to Welds.....12 or 13 lbs .... Either way ,they are still lighter than stock wheels/tires.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you use longer wheels studs up front? i have stock studs in front..but i have the shank lug nuts. mine grind in the front, and i have been grinding but dam...still rubs.. im thinkin bout getting some 5/16 spacers tomorrow and throwing them on... the back fit fine without grinding..but there 16s fronts are 15s..and a pain!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stangkiller2005
did you use longer wheels studs up front? i have stock studs in front..but i have the shank lug nuts. mine grind in the front, and i have been grinding but dam...still rubs.. im thinkin bout getting some 5/16 spacers tomorrow and throwing them on... the back fit fine without grinding..but there 16s fronts are 15s..and a pain!

Nope. I just put the spacer on and tighten up the acorn lugnuts. What type 16's do you have on the rear ?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
whats the weight on these jegs and summit wheels?
Thats the only downside to the Jegs front's, they weigh 17 LBS each without a tire.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mac 2002 SS
Nope. I just put the spacer on and tighten up the acorn lugnuts. What type 16's do you have on the rear ?

i have 16x8 pro stars i beleave it is in the back.

how did you use acorn nuts up front? the studs dont stick out at all... the tip of my rear studs bairly stick out and there ARP ones... i have to use shank lug nuts. ima go pick up some 5/16ths spacers rite after work, and give them a try..cuz i have been grinding oneside so far.. and dam i cant seem to grind enough.. i wanna go to the track tonite to..so i gotta get it done. hopefully if they fit with the spacer without rubbing ima leave them like that till have have the cash for arp studs in the front for extra insurence.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stangkiller2005
i have 16x8 pro stars i beleave it is in the back.

how did you use acorn nuts up front?

I turned gave the lugs a few turns and used my impact wrench on them. They are holding on for me pretty good. If you want ,shoot me your email addy and i can send you a few pics ,ok.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trust
Thats the only downside to the Jegs front's, they weigh 17 LBS each without a tire.

Well thats not great but it sure as hell beats my 45lb with tire TTIIs. Not to mention alot less drag on the front wheels.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club

My front 15by4 JegStars fit on with stock brakes with NO grinding or spacer.I have ProStars on the back so I dont know much about how they fit.Im sure its a matter of time before SJM posts up bashing these wheels because there not Bogarts but I really like mine.Great for the price.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SuperZ
My front 15by4 JegStars fit on with stock brakes with NO grinding or spacer.I have ProStars on the back so I dont know much about how they fit.Im sure its a matter of time before SJM posts up bashing these wheels because there not Bogarts but I really like mine.Great for the price.
Hey SuperZ ,I'm glad you jumped in on this,man. You were the first one I saw with these Jegs Wheels on thier car and they looked great. I had to buy me set once I saw yours. That price will eventually go up once people see them in person and want to save at least a good $ 80- $90.00 on a set of skinnies.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperZ
I think it's funny when folks make comments like this as it's obvious they really do not do their homework. They are almost the weight of the OEM wheel. You may as well be using your spare wheel and change the tire.

Each person has his own budget. If this fits yours then good going. These are not drag wheels nor are they advertised as such.

If you want an economy style drag wheel...I'd pick prostars anyday over these. If you only like to look like you've got drag wheels without the benefits then you're good to go.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trust
Man A stock snowflake rim weighs 17 lbs.. lol. I bet a 225 width tire on a snowflake would only be a couple pounds heavier than these.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Man A stock snowflake rim weighs 17 lbs.. lol. I bet a 225 width tire on a snowflake would only be a couple pounds heavier than these.
EXACTLY! 7 lbs of rotating mass vs a prostar sucks.

And i have never seen SJM bash any other wheel, he simply compares. I really don't think he cares what you run, but he offers you a very nice wheel and tells you how it's better than budget wheels. People who want to go fast don't cut corners.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Guys ,
This thread just started out to help anyone on a budget !! Not everyone on here able to spend $ 500 + on wheels or anything else for that matter. But for this little price that these wheels cost ,it's not a bad choice. Now if you can afford to buy something ligther and nicer than these cheap wheels ,then more power to you .But don't put people down who are trying to have a good time with something that is cheap and my help improve thier ET even a little bit. I have a $1102 a month house note ,$120 a week in child support and a bunch of other **** I need to pay each month. Right now ,my SS is running pretty damn strong for whats done to it. With these cheap wheels, it may run a little quicker. No one like to cut corners , but anyone with some sense likes to save some money when they can .
Attached Thumbnails Jegs Prostar Skinnies Wheels & Summit Rears ( IMHO )-20041106_006.jpg  
Old 04-30-2007, 12:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont' think anyone is telling folks to purchase expensive wheels if they are on a budget... My comments are why bother purchasing a wanna-be wheel when the real thing which has much more benefits are only a few dollars more.

You guys spend more on gas then to worry about saving 50.00 on a set of prostar look-a-likes (and have no benefits even close to them) rather then purchasing the real thing.

I don't think anyone is knocking a persons decision to purchase wheels that are take-offs...those folks that did, if they are happy, that is all that matters. If those folks plan on posting about how they fell are close to a drag wheel will receive criticism from the folks who know differently.

For the folks trying to put their dollars to the best use, I completly understand. Many of you guys are spending their hard-earned dollars on modifications that don't reap full benefits and overlook important areas that greatly effect performance.

My comments are to the folks "with some sense". This is not a direct "dig" towards you at all Mac, so please don't read into it. I'm using your statement as an example that is all. Many folks overlook very important areas and focus on other areas that they "think" is important to performance. Unsprung weight as well as rotational weight is worth MORE pound for pound than static weight. It has a profound affect on handling, traction, braking, among others. So cutting corners in these areas effects performance and has a NEGATIVE effect towards what most are trying to accomplish in the first place.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just got the 15x4 jegs sportstars a couple days ago too. i dont have my tires yet so i dont have them on the car. but i weighed them and they are only 13 lbs each, dont know where the 17 came from.

i think they are great too, because i only go to the track a few times a year, so i dont need to spend alot of money on drag rims. and while they might be a couple pounds heavier than the actual weld rims, they are still lighter than a stock rim with wide tire, so they will still help out a bit.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mac 2002 SS
Hey Guys ,
This thread just started out to help anyone on a budget !! Not everyone on here able to spend $ 500 + on wheels or anything else for that matter. But for this little price that these wheels cost ,it's not a bad choice. Now if you can afford to buy something ligther and nicer than these cheap wheels ,then more power to you .But don't put people down who are trying to have a good time with something that is cheap and my help improve thier ET even a little bit. I have a $1102 a month house note ,$120 a week in child support and a bunch of other **** I need to pay each month. Right now ,my SS is running pretty damn strong for whats done to it. With these cheap wheels, it may run a little quicker. No one like to cut corners , but anyone with some sense likes to save some money when they can .
+1 on that one man...Sponsors get mad at us when we try and save money lol...that's going to happen when better wheels are $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quick Reply: Jegs Prostar Skinnies Wheels & Summit Rears ( IMHO )