Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

are 15" rims really worth risking your life for?

Old 06-01-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default are 15" rims really worth risking your life for?

ive read some horror stories of slightly grinded caliper cracking for grinding to put 15 inch rims on. including one were it broke at 100mph.

is going with a 15inch rim SOOO much better then a 16? does it get rid of that much weight? can u launch that much better? are the tires that much cheaper?

anyone care to chime in?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell, I'd just take the caliper off. You don't need to stop
Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Launching!

If you so worried about it, then buy some centerlines.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sbusby
ROFL,DO IT
Old 06-01-2007, 08:03 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by GeArBaNgEr56
If you so worried about it, then buy some centerlines.
dont you mean bogarts
Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's probably referring to centerline convo pros or warriors. They fit without grinding, but you're limited to rear widths of 7.5" or 8"
Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15" drag wheels are (generally...but not all) lighter and have more mass directed towards the center of rotation. They also allow additional sidewall flex which relates to your actual tire contact patch area or footprint which can correlate into better traction. Our drag wheels drops up to .2 second. So yes, drag wheels are a very important consideration. Rotational weight and unsprung weight should not be taken lightly.

If you've read any of my other posts, drag wheels are not all the same. Take a prostar, by using them instead of our LS1 designed wheels, using that prostar is like LEAVING ~50lbs of converted static weight on your car! Centerline wheels generally are even worse as they are among the heaviest of drag wheels out there. They do not offer correct backspace considerations for late model F-bodies fwiw.

These can affect stopping distances, handling 60ft time etc...all areas that are important to racing.

Our wheels are built to fit the car. Issues you've stated are a non-issue. Regarding smaller width wheels, do NOT use an 8" wheel for your F-body. They are too small of a wheel (width) for what the typical F-body runs...i.e. 275/50's are designed for a minimum of 8.5" wheel. That is the MINIMUM width recommended. 10" wide wheels are a very good all-around choice.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sbusby
LOL to funny....
Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Tough Mudder

"are 15" rims really worth risking your life for?"

meh, I've risked my life on dumber things.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
15" drag wheels are (generally...but not all) lighter and have more mass directed towards the center of rotation. They also allow additional sidewall flex which relates to your actual tire contact patch area or footprint which can correlate into better traction. Our drag wheels drops up to .2 second. So yes, drag wheels are a very important consideration. Rotational weight and unsprung weight should not be taken lightly.

If you've read any of my other posts, drag wheels are not all the same. Take a prostar, by using them instead of our LS1 designed wheels, using that prostar is like LEAVING ~50lbs of converted static weight on your car! Centerline wheels generally are even worse as they are among the heaviest of drag wheels out there. They do not offer correct backspace considerations for late model F-bodies fwiw.

These can affect stopping distances, handling 60ft time etc...all areas that are important to racing.

Our wheels are built to fit the car. Issues you've stated are a non-issue. Regarding smaller width wheels, do NOT use an 8" wheel for your F-body. They are too small of a wheel (width) for what the typical F-body runs...i.e. 275/50's are designed for a minimum of 8.5" wheel. That is the MINIMUM width recommended. 10" wide wheels are a very good all-around choice.

I thought this was the "are 15" wheels worth it" thread? Not hey buy bogarts. We all don't want to pay for over priced wheels when they all have the same purpose. I'll stick with centerline. Now back on topic...
Old 06-02-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much more do centerlines weigh compared to a prostar? i used to have ultra lights and i sware they weighed more than my convo pro's. Also, didnt centerline change their rim design so we can get a properly backspaced wheel?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Where are all these horror stories of peoples grinded calipers falling off? I've never heard of any.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff M
I thought this was the "are 15" wheels worth it" thread? Not hey buy bogarts. We all don't want to pay for over priced wheels when they all have the same purpose. I'll stick with centerline. Now back on topic...
way to be a dick, I don't see any problem with a sponsor pointing out that he has a superior product. The price of his rims are cheap in comparison to overgrinding on a caliper and hitting the wall and totaling your vehicle right? That's what the initial question was asking, are they worth it. Well I have 23k in my car and run lt1 rear brakes, so pro stars were a viable product. Will I buy bogarts in the future, probably just because I like their designs and weight savings.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Friend of mine has Bogarts and had to grind his calipers to get em to fit.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Where are all these horror stories of peoples grinded calipers falling off? I've never heard of any.
search my friend u will find them
Old 06-02-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02EBZO6
He's probably referring to centerline convo pros or warriors. They fit without grinding, but you're limited to rear widths of 7.5" or 8"

Huh?? You can definitely use 10" wide centerlines on the rear of 4th gen f-bodies.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
search my friend u will find them
No. Link?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jeff M
Always a smartass in the crowd. You're statements are incorrect and if you're going to state something, try to be helpful to the writers question or don't bother wasting bandwidth. Our wheels are a direct answer to the writers question. Your centerline wheels are the heaviest wheels out there, not to mention, the backspace that you have set is not correct for your car unless you've modified the axle length. Centerline wheels are also ~1000.00 for a set, which is getting close to our prices which we actually design for the LS1 specifically. So at that point, why would you ever want to purchase a set of wheels that are among the heaviest drag wheels out there, still have issues with fitment and are not made to fit the car regarding backspace requirements.

For every other person out there, if you're going to choose an economy wheel, in my professional opinion, choose a light economy wheel like a 10" prostar. You're going to have issues with fitment, BUT if you're on a budget, then you have to take the good with the bad. If you want a direct fit wheel and the lightest retaining benefits as I've described, our Bogart wheels are most certainly worth it.

To the folks trying to save money, then go out and spend 5-600.00 on a K-member to save weight, you would have been better off splurging on our wheels as you'd be saving more in the end AND you'd have a wheel that looks show-quality. From an appearance standpoint, since wheels have probably the largest impact on your cars appearance, why would you want to skimp in this area if you like your car to look best??
Old 06-02-2007, 11:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eLTwerker
Huh?? You can definitely use 10" wide centerlines on the rear of 4th gen f-bodies.
Not unless you like them sticking out of the fender. The largest backspace they offer is way too small.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
way to be a dick, I don't see any problem with a sponsor pointing out that he has a superior product.
I agree. I like it when sponsors get on here and talk about their product. Shows they care, and is informative.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: are 15" rims really worth risking your life for?