Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Should I get new rims/tires or upgrade suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get new rims/tires or upgrade suspension?

I just got my Formula and it still has stock rims and tires. As I see it, it's at a minimum $1000 investment to upgrade rims+tires. And, I see people posting pictures of upgraded rims and in my opinion unless the car is lowered AND has new rims, it just looks funny. Does anyone else feel the same?

I think that (on a limited budget), to make my car look sicker I should instead lower it 1.5 inches and just clean and polish the crap out of my stock 6 spokes. I think that would give me a better look than beautiful wheels and rims and the car lifted up in the air... does this make sense?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

In my opinion, looks are always secondary to quality performance improvements.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

I agree with the above statement but it all depends on what you want. It's YOUR car. If you want it to look nice, make it look nice. If you want it to be fast...or at least faster than stock, forget the rims and tires, and use that money to go toward the engine, exhaust and suspension.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

i would do some suspension work first and worry about wheels later. It really depends on what your plans are for the car.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

To the original poster, I know what you mean about it looking funny to have fresh new wheels with the 4x4 look. However, sometimes it's just difficult to lower your car AND get wheels and tires at the same time. Gets expensive. As TXWS6 ^^^ mentioned, your decision lies mostly and what your plans are for the car.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

I don't need to go faster. I know it's a "measly" 275hp LT1 in there but it will never see a race track and if any idiot in a civic wants to race me on the street, well, I got plenty hp for that. So, if I want to put money towards something it's suspension upgrades and new wheels+tires. Maybe a new catback system, even though I already inherited a Magnaflow muffler from the last owner.

So, I started going down the path of getting new rims/tires but the simple fact is that I don't hate my (I think it was an upgrade on that car as I saw it on the original window sticker) 5-spoke wheels, and even though they haven't been washed in the last G-d knows how many years, I think I can get them to look pretty good. I was walking out of the mall and looked at my car from about a hundred feet away. I looked at the wheels and thought "eh, a little dirty but okay." Then I noticed how high it's sitting and that bothered me much more.

So, that's my reasoning. I just wanted to talk it out and see what other people think.