Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitto 555R vs. Sumitomo HTR-Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto 555R vs. Sumitomo HTR-Z

fixin to get the black ZR-1 Wheels for my '02 SS and the wheel and tire package comes with the Sumitomo HTR-Z in a 315 for the rear but i was really wantin the Nitto 55R.......
what would be better??? go with the Sumitomos or just spend about another $100 for the Nittos???

i really dont mind either tire, but my only concern is it looks as tho the Sumitomo is a lil wider than the Nitto and im worried about it rubbin since it will be on an 11 inch wheel.

i know quite a few of you guys are runnin this wheel/tire combo so what are yalls thoughts on my situation???

thanks
Old 06-17-2005, 07:50 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

if it was me i would pay the extra 100 bones for the nittos they will hook up a lot better and the clearence will be a little better if you are concerned about rubbing issues....
Old 06-18-2005, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

The sumitomo tires suck ...bad. They are seriously cheap. If you are tight on money, keep them, otherwise go with the Nittos.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitto's by far...
Old 06-18-2005, 02:04 AM
Launching!

I would go with the Nitto's the HTR's are alright but in the rain they suck *****.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG, I hope this is not a serious question!

There is no comparison between the 2. If you like the idea of sliding off the freeway at high speeds in the rain, then get the Sumitomo's. When they wear down the compound gets real hard and they turn into death traps.

The Nitto 555R's cost a bit more. but are superior, just superior. They rule on wet roads as well.

I started of on the Sumitomo HTR-z and got about 5K miles due to the constant spinning. They are quiet so you will not even know they are spinning most of the time.

The Nittos are shaved, but they will last about the same because they grip so well. Even when they are worn bald they grip extremely well on wet roads. Sometimes when it is raining I'll try to spin them and slide the car around and instead they grab and it just pushes me back into the seat, in first gear! I was like Damn!
Old 06-25-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sumitomos are crap
Old 06-25-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
sumitomos are crap
At least the HTR-Z is. I'm a fair guy, I'm not going to condemn all their tires unless I've tried them (and that is going to be never )
Old 06-25-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

I just got that 17x11 ZR1 wheel and tire combo with the Sumitomo HTRZ tires. I got them for my 97 Trans Am and don't seem to have any clearance problems yet, but I've only had them for about two days now, so as far as I can tell you shouldn't have clearance issues. I can't tell you anything about traction or treadwear, because I havn't had the chance to really see how they perform. From what I've heard, they have good traction but like everyone before said, they don't last long and are really bad in snow and rain. I just figured for the price, I could just get these and then really start looking for good tires while I wear these down.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

i love my htrz's compared to my kumho 711's...they were crap. i am going to try out the sumitomo htrz II's in a couple of months..or whenever i can decide on some wheels for my car.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Launching!

HTR Z line is sopose to be disappearing off the market. The only reason they are still around is the size 315/35/17. All other sizes were pretty much scrapped. The HTR ZII's are sweet tires and the HTR+ are not to bad either but they dont go to the 315 size. And yes the HTRZ are junk but there other design's are really good
Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

I have the "Sumitomo HTR-40Z" they came with my car and I say they are sticky on the street for the price you cant beat them man, I launch at 3k it spins them very little and it goes, great tires and as the previous guys said they last quite a bit and with sticky tires your chancing your rearend....
Old 06-27-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
sumitomos are crap
roger that
Old 06-28-2005, 05:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Nittos all the way.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Nittos all the way.
Of the Nittos, I think only their R compounds stand out. The rest are more normal.

Of the 2 choices (Nitto 555R vs. Sumitomo HTR-Z) I don't think you could have picked 2 tires more different. That are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

You guys are ordering from OE Wheels out of Sarasota right? Just buy the rims alone and tires from tires.com ... I ordered 17x9.5 set of 4 polished which cost me around 570$ with shipping and tax and all... plus 600 (Exactly to the penny) for Nitto 555s and 555Rs... Not much of a price different to the Sumitomos, but there quality difference is huge.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have sumitomo htrz's all the way around on boyd coddington smoothie 2's. 17x10 in the rear with 315/35r17. they werent bad tires for the money. i got them cause they were cheap tires, got the tires and wheels for 1300 with lugs. not bad. they are a lil crappy in the rair, i almost hit some guy going like 10 mph, but luckily the ABS saved me. the wear is really good on the fronts, i have about 7k. on the set with almost no wear on the fronts. the rears are obviously a lot worse. i took them to the track once and lit them up numberous numerous times. the rears prb only have about 3/32 left in the middle.

im switching to bf goodrich drags, even cheaper than the sumitomos for 315 size. theyre supposed to hook as well as the nittos too. not sure on the rain, but i dont really see any drag radial being awesome in the rain. imho. if your concerned about the rain id get some f1's of michelin pilots.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AsianIce25
i dont really see any drag radial being awesome in the rain. imho. if your concerned about the rain id get some f1's of michelin pilots.
On the contrary, the Nitto 555R and RII are badass in the rain. Even bald, they grip better than any tire on a wet surface. If you do run them bald, you have to look out for puddles to prevent hydroplaning.

On just a wet road, I'm sure they'd blow away the michelin pilots as well as the GSD3's. On a wet road, I can put the hammer down in first gear and it just sinks me into the seat. Freakin unreal!

To expand on what I was saying earlier, my old HTR-Z's were a death trap in comparison. As the HTR-z's wear, the compound gets harder. They caused me to damage my hood in a fence due to them locking so easily on dry pavement and they almost killed me by spinning on a wet freeway at about 70mph in 5th gear (no puddles were involved). I gave it a little gas and the car went sideways. Luckily the traction control kicked in pretty quickly and I straitened it out. I'm sure the cars behind me got a thrill.

You tell me, was it worth it to save a few bucks?

Anyway, if you run the HTR-Z's be very cautious as they start to wear down. Your braking will suffer big time.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
On the contrary, the Nitto 555R and RII are badass in the rain. Even bald, they grip better than any tire on a wet surface. If you do run them bald, you have to look out for puddles to prevent hydroplaning.

On just a wet road, I'm sure they'd blow away the michelin pilots as well as the GSD3's. On a wet road, I can put the hammer down in first gear and it just sinks me into the seat. Freakin unreal!

To expand on what I was saying earlier, my old HTR-Z's were a death trap in comparison. As the HTR-z's wear, the compound gets harder. They caused me to damage my hood in a fence due to them locking so easily on dry pavement and they almost killed me by spinning on a wet freeway at about 70mph in 5th gear (no puddles were involved). I gave it a little gas and the car went sideways. Luckily the traction control kicked in pretty quickly and I straitened it out. I'm sure the cars behind me got a thrill.

You tell me, was it worth it to save a few bucks?

Anyway, if you run the HTR-Z's be very cautious as they start to wear down. Your braking will suffer big time.
EXACTLY! I was scared as hell because everyone was all "Nittos are very unsafe in the rain"... They grab better than ANY street-tire in the rain that Ive seen.

Quick Reply: Nitto 555R vs. Sumitomo HTR-Z