Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Question about rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rims

I had my stock 16in rim bead sealed recently. I put brand new Pilot Sport A/S tires on it. One of the tires was leaking air so I took it back to where I purchased the tires and they told me the tire didn't seal right, so they rebead sealed the tire. Well fast forward a week later to today and the tire went down from 35psi to 20psi. I am going to take it back again. My question is how many times can they bead seal a rim? At this point would it be better to purchase a reconditioned rim? I don't have the money to buy a whole new set of rims right now so that isn't an option. I really don't want to buy another rim but I am frustrated as my old set of tires were pierced by part of the rim and kept leaking air and they couldn't plug the tire. Seems like the last 2 months all I keep doing it putting air in the tires.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the rim damaged around the bead? If so then it will be hard to get a good seal. Also it is pretty much an accident waiting to happen and I would recommend replacing the wheel. If the rim is fine and the tire is just not seating properly they need to check the bead ring on the tire itself.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its pointless to bead seal the tire when the rim is damaged in that area, if it was my rim that damaged a new A/S..that bitch would be in the river...those are to costly of tires to have rim **** them up...i advise going to a used place and get another...
Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys you made up my mind. I am going to have another rim put on today. I could feel the rearend wiggle from the 2 different tire pressures. Car's never been wrecked (knock on wood) and I only have 7 payments left to make on it before its year round daily driver duties are retired.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i would just get another.