Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Goodyear Eagle F1 vs. Eagle F1 GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Eagle F1 vs. Eagle F1 GS

Hay all,

I did not see any one talking about the difference between the Eagle F1 GS and the Eagle F1. Looking at tire rack the difference is about $120 (Eagle F1 being cheeper), but there is no information about what I would be giving up by not getting the GS’s. I got to believe the GS’s have more going for them then just an extra two letters (stiffer sidewalls, etc.).

I have been running the GS’s for years but the price is getting up there, and I thought the Eagle F1’s might be worth a try????

Any info would be appreciated,

Jeff
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed the F1 is a all season tire on tire rack while the F1 GS is a ultra high performance summer.

It depends on what you are looking for in a tire. Do you need to hook or are you looking for a tire that can be driven well in the rain?

In either case I think you would be better off going with the Goodyear GS-D3. This tire is less expensive than the GS, hooks better than the GS, and is killer in the rain (very good).

Personally I have the F1 GS which is the stock equipment I believe. Its an ok tire but traction isn't the greatest and it has no rim protector which I do not like.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I noticed the F1 is a all season tire on tire rack while the F1 GS is a ultra high performance summer.
I missed that subtlety in labeling.

I have been driving these year round (even in the snow), without too many problems (Ok I do a lot of drifting in the snow and I guess I did just side swipe a median in the last snow storm, Doh!!!). But when I look at the GM site ( http://media.gm.com:8221/ca/gm/en/pr...2Firebird.html), they talk about the F1 GS as the “all season performance” tire vs. “all weather performance” or “all season touring”. I’m guessing the Eagle F1’s are “all weather performance” in there book (weather being rain and snow).

Anyway, I am hesitant in going with the F1 GS-D3’s because of the fact that I do drive in the snow. I also read on other postings that, with the softer side walls on the D3, you can feel a bit of a delay between steering and when the tires grip because of the side wall flexing. That sounds bad if you ask me.

Anyone else driven the Eagle F1?

Thanks for the info,

Jeff
Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Grammar Nazi Regional Headquarters; Arlen, Texas, U S of A

Originally Posted by JScamaro
In either case I think you would be better off going with the Goodyear GS-D3. This tire is less expensive than the GS, hooks better than the GS, and is killer in the rain (very good).
I love my GS-D3s but it hardly ever snows in Arlen.

Originally Posted by java_osborn
Anyway, I am hesitant in going with the F1 GS-D3’s because....I also read on other postings that, with the softer side walls on the D3, you can feel a bit of a delay between steering and when the tires grip because of the side wall flexing. That sounds bad if you ask me.
I changed to GS-D3s from the BF Goodrich g-Force KDW in the same 275/40-17 size, and the Goodyears seemed a lot more direct in initial turn-in compared to the BFG.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The snow factor is important in picking a tire. I live in Texas so I can't give advice on a good snow tire or if the Goodyear GS-D3's are acceptable for snow.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive got GSD3's and love them . . . .but have never driven them in the snow.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Have you guys driven the F1 GS before you drove on your F1 GS-D3's?
How was the difference in handling?

Thanks for all the info,

Jeff
Old 04-02-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't drive the GS-D3 in the snow!! It's a nightmare! Took an hour and a half to get home on a normal 15 minute drive in the snow. No traction with 300lbs of sand in the back in snow. Other than snow they are awesome dry and wet traction. I'd recommend them.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys. I went with the Goodyear F1 GS’s . I know they are more expensive (put your hands up and hand over the wallet ), but having driven them, I know I won’t be disappointed with the ride for the next 30K miles.

Jeff