Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need Help Deciding Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help Deciding Tires

I am going to be ordering some TTMs really soon... fronts = 17X9 and rears = 17X10.5

My question is what size tire for fronts and what size tire for rears? I was maythinking 275/40/17 all around??? But i kinda want the staggered look.

Also what is a good tire?
-Sumitomo?
-Yokohama
-BFG
-Khumo

thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

315 nitto for the rear. i bought falken 275s for the front
Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only choice out of the four listed that id consider are the bfg's. I personally think those others are crap, only good for price.
275/315 w/ a nitto drag out back.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bfg's will give you a more aggressive look from the rear. nittos are also good but they are more narrow than the bfg's.

I'm gonna save up for the kdw's
Old 04-12-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

stock rear.. no DRs.. I am still undecided what brand tire to go with...

I still have not yet decided on what tire for the rear. 315 jsut seems too big, plus that is a lot $$$$$$$$$$$$

maybe 275 front and 295 or 305 rear??
Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I just got some BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S's on my SS with my TTII's and I have to say they are pretty damn nice. I used to buy BFG KDWS, all 275, for my car, but those have been discontinued for the new G-Forces. I love the BFG tire lines and I think they are the best choice for you, especially being out here in the Chicago area.

I've owned the Sumitomo HRTZ tires and they are pure ****. You get what you pay for. Same goes for the Yokohama's. My buddy had some Kuhmo's on his Formula, but they didn't seem to last long.

Also, take into consideration how much money it's going to cost not being able to rotate your tires. I used to run the 285 rears and 275 fronts, and I couldn't rotate them. So as soon as you burn up your rears, you need to drop MORE money on new tires. This time around I went with all 275's so I can rotate when needed.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I just got some BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S's on my SS with my TTII's and I have to say they are pretty damn nice. I used to buy BFG KDWS, all 275, for my car, but those have been discontinued for the new G-Forces. I love the BFG tire lines and I think they are the best choice for you, especially being out here in the Chicago area.

I've owned the Sumitomo HRTZ tires and they are pure ****. You get what you pay for. Same goes for the Yokohama's. My buddy had some Kuhmo's on his Formula, but they didn't seem to last long.

Also, take into consideration how much money it's going to cost not being able to rotate your tires. I used to run the 285 rears and 275 fronts, and I couldn't rotate them. So as soon as you burn up your rears, you need to drop MORE money on new tires. This time around I went with all 275's so I can rotate when needed.
Hey whats up.. first off all i want to start off by saying that my winter tires are still FOR SALE so buy them dammit you were like the 3rd person to back out on me.. oh well there is always next year.

k, back to the thread. I like the BFG line, and the yoko seem to be pretty good, but like you said discount tire does not carry that tire anymore. and i saw you posting to Tomzwheels to see if he has them too. I thought that the S/S tires were a seasonal tire and not A/S????? Do you like the new G-Force line???

You did not like the Yokos???? I ahve Khumos now on the T/A... they are ehhhhhhh.. i want a better tread pattern, and something that will last and perform.

What size rims were you running with the 275's all around? did it look ok, you did make a valid point about not being able to rotate them... Fvck now what.

See ya.. btw VFN finally fixed my hood, and is PERFECT!!!! Armando is great..

-Jonas
Old 04-12-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
stock rear.. no DRs.. I am still undecided what brand tire to go with...

I still have not yet decided on what tire for the rear. 315 jsut seems too big, plus that is a lot $$$$$$$$$$$$

maybe 275 front and 295 or 305 rear??
What's the point of all that power if you aren't gonna use it...nonsense
Old 04-12-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
What's the point of all that power if you aren't gonna use it...nonsense
dont feel like beating the hell out of my car. I take pride in it. i beat on it when i am able to drive it.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

If you want we can meet up tomorrow or sometime this week and you can check them out yourself? They feel good, not as sticky as the KD's but still a TON better than the Sumi/Yoko/Kuhmo deals. I'm running all 17x9.5 TTII's with 275/40/17 rubber. I'm glad Mondo got that fixed for yah, and I probably will pick those blizzaks up off yah this year, lol!

Are you not selling the car anymore? I forgot to ask
Old 04-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Teching In

If you want tires that last and perform then go with the BFG KDW's. Got 40,000 miles outta mine.Just put my second set on last week. $750 out the door from Discount tire. Agree same size all around so you can rotate em.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

found this place, onlinetires.com, they have cheap as **** prices even with shipping its cheaper than anywhere else. I just bought some Riken Raptors, they are made by michelin and are supposed be the **** from what i have been told by several boardies.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rotating is nice i suppose, but if ur burnin up the rears, do u really want to put those on the front? i just replace the rears cuz the fronts normally still look good. if u want the staggered look, but don't want to spend the $ for the 315's just get 295's for the back, others may not notice it much, but u should be able to. i agree with what has already been said about getting what u pay for. go with above average tires.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
If you want we can meet up tomorrow or sometime this week and you can check them out yourself? They feel good, not as sticky as the KD's but still a TON better than the Sumi/Yoko/Kuhmo deals. I'm running all 17x9.5 TTII's with 275/40/17 rubber. I'm glad Mondo got that fixed for yah, and I probably will pick those blizzaks up off yah this year, lol!

Are you not selling the car anymore? I forgot to ask

if we meet up, i am going to be bringing the tires and rims

but i will let you know when i can meet up or what not
Old 04-12-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TUFAS4U
found this place, onlinetires.com, they have cheap as **** prices even with shipping its cheaper than anywhere else. I just bought some Riken Raptors, they are made by michelin and are supposed be the **** from what i have been told by several boardies.
hmm i may have to check them out, but they seem by what your saying to only cary non name brand tires??

Originally Posted by gallardo259
rotating is nice i suppose, but if ur burnin up the rears, do u really want to put those on the front? i just replace the rears cuz the fronts normally still look good. if u want the staggered look, but don't want to spend the $ for the 315's just get 295's for the back, others may not notice it much, but u should be able to. i agree with what has already been said about getting what u pay for. go with above average tires.
i am by all means will not go cheap on tires. jsut got to figures out if i want the staggered look or get the same all around
Old 04-12-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

nevermind, I might cancel my order, doesnt look like people are having very good transactions with onlinetires.com
Old 04-13-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

On my TTM setup, I have 275/40R17's on the front and 315/35R17's on the rear.

For the front I've got Falken Ziex ZE 512's and I really, really like these tires. They grip really well and the tread wear is great. I'm definately purchasing these again. If I have a bit more cash to spend, I'll probably get some Good Year GSD3's.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...84&rd=17&ar=40

On the rear, I have Nitto 555R's. I don't really like them. Grip is decent and the tread wear isn't all that. I'll be looking into some BFG's for the rear in the future.

Good Luck!