Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Is it ok to plug a dr?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is it ok to plug a dr?

Ok guys one of my bfg drag radials had a small hole in it and they are almost brand new. So i called the local Firestone to see if they would patch/plug it for me and they said no they don't patch drag radials. So here i am with almost brand new dr's with a hole in it. It was late in the evening and this car is my dd so i had to do something to get to work in the morning so i went to the store and bought a plug and plugged the hole. Now the tire is fixed and doesn't leak anymore. But i am worried about having a plug in my dr. Is this safe or should i try to buy a new one?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Discount Tire, get the plug removed and get an RMA (Rubber Manuf. Assoc.) approved patch put in it's place. Much safer.

Yes you can patch DR's, they have steel belts and an inner-liner just like every other radial tire out there so it really is no different other than the rubber compound. I've patched DR's before plenty of times with no issues.

Plugs that you buy from the store are no good because they are made of a material that soaks up water. Water then gets into your steel belts inside the tire, and water does not mix well with steel.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZFSix
Go to Discount Tire, get the plug removed and get an RMA (Rubber Manuf. Assoc.) approved patch put in it's place. Much safer.

Yes you can patch DR's, they have steel belts and an inner-liner just like every other radial tire out there so it really is no different other than the rubber compound. I've patched DR's before plenty of times with no issues.

Plugs that you buy from the store are no good because they are made of a material that soaks up water. Water then gets into your steel belts inside the tire, and water does not mix well with steel.
Oh ok thanks. I'll go to discount tires and get it patched
Old 05-11-2008, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Oh ok thanks. I'll go to discount tires and get it patched

Yep, they put a patch on the inside of the tire.. I drove mine like that for a year with no issues..
Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZFSix

that is some damn good info.
im kinda a tire geek so its nice to see good knowledge spread
Old 05-11-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My MT DR's had a patch in the right rear ... had them on brand new for like a week ... picked up a screw. I ran them at the track with no issues, however, IMHO if you drop the tire pressure too low, it could cause the patch to distort if you car has a lot of power and hooks really hard. I don't think it's dangerous ... just would make sure you have your jack and donut if you venture far from home.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:49 PM
That's what she said...

I just had one of my Hoosiers patched. One place straight up wouldn't do it lol.

Discount ended up doing it using a patch with a plug in the middle. They ream out the hole and stick the patch on the inside with the plug poking out through the hole. I've always had my DR's fixed at Discount with no problems.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

I had plugged one of my old BFG dr's with no problems. When you called firestone they probably heard the words "drag radial" and thought "drag slick."
Old 05-11-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
I had plugged one of my old BFG dr's with no problems. When you called firestone they probably heard the words "drag radial" and thought "drag slick."
Yea thats what i was thinking. People don't even know what a Drag radial is.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

ok guys i just talked to my friend that mounted and balanced my dr's. He works at discount tire/american tire and he told me that my plug would be fine and i should not take the plug out and get it plugged again
Old 05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

i patched my M/T's DR's and there doing good no problem.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
ok guys i just talked to my friend that mounted and balanced my dr's. He works at discount tire/american tire and he told me that my plug would be fine and i should not take the plug out and get it plugged again
your friend is wrong
Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I had two plugs in one of my old Nittos before I got rid of them. Burnouts, passes, everything, they were fine.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
your friend is wrong
+1 ... never plug a radial belted tire.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

ive got an extra 295/35/18 BFG drag radial for sale if u need it.it has like 300 miles on it.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I used to do tires back in high school for a few years. Plugs NO patch YES I have done it to promod slick tires
Old 05-14-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
+1 ... never plug a radial belted tire.
granted a patch plug is best, but ive been pluggin steel belted tires for over 15 years and have never had one come out, burnout after burnout, pass after pass, no issues ever, yes i have seen the belts rust from water getting to them, but more so from a regular patch than a plug. a regular patch (not a patch plug) leaves the hole wide open to the outside for water to lay in. i had to plug one of my MT's DR's yesterday. if its not broke dont try and fix it more..........