Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel stud removal and installation.. Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel stud removal and installation.. Help

Tonight I installed new stabilizer link bars on the driver/rear and pass/rear. As I was removing the wheel on the rear passanger side, one of the lug nuts was stuck. The only way to take it off was using a breaker bar. Well.. it came off with half of the stud inside the lug.. or in other words the wheel stud snapped in half.

I already removed the caliper and rotor. Can the stud be hammered out and a new one hammered back in? Or will I need to have someone press it in? Also, will freezing the new bolt shrink it just a little to help it go in? I'm already over $1,500 into the car this month alone.. really don't want to spend anymore.

I need any and all ideas and advice. Thanks, Joe
Old 05-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Launching!

just beat the old one out. put the new stud in place and then find a nut or something big enough to slide over the new stud, then tighten the lugnut down and it should pull the stud into place.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can also use a c clamp like a press. Just use a deep well socket to cover the threaded end to avoid damage.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fast377
You can also use a c clamp like a press. Just use a deep well socket to cover the threaded end to avoid damage.
That would work on the front but not the back...part of the caliper backing plate is in the way and there is no way to get a press on there with the axle in the car.

The easiest way, as stated above...if not the "best" way is to knock the old one out and pull the new one through with a nut.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
That would work on the front but not the back...part of the caliper backing plate is in the way and there is no way to get a press on there with the axle in the car.

The easiest way, as stated above...if not the "best" way is to knock the old one out and pull the new one through with a nut.

Agree that this would be the best way to do it.