Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

just to warn a few of you about mcguires

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just to warn a few of you about mcguires

i used mcguires hot chrome wheel cleaner (the spray kind) and it completyely ate the finish off my wheels. they were chrome now their polished/spotted all up. just a warning for you guys who may decide to use this. i now have to buy new wheels =x
Old 06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you done anything about this? Did you try and contact Meguiar's about this? They'd probably like to know if there product is not serving its intended purpose and I'd assume they'd pay for your wheels if their product is directly causing these problems.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Banned

no i have not contacted them yet it just happed like 30 min ago. i followed the instructions and i kid you not my wheels went from nice chrome to NO shine at all. this is rediculous and i bet if i contact mcguires there gonna be like "oh you did it wrong" or some kind of bs
Old 06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used that product twice on my wheels (once a year) with good results. Take a picture and post it up.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

well i contacted mcquires and they told me that they most like are polished aluminum wheels but they sure did shine like chrome to me. the wheels were on the car when i bought them so i guess there is a possibility they are polished aluminum.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevez2885
well i contacted mcquires and they told me that they most like are polished aluminum wheels but they sure did shine like chrome to me. the wheels were on the car when i bought them so i guess there is a possibility they are polished aluminum.
It takes A LOT (chemical wise) to damage chrome. It's a pretty involved process to chrome plate something. Polishing on the other hand is just that. You can knock the shine off a polished wheel by looking at it wrong. Polished aluminum also shines better than chrome when done properly (for a few minutes anyhow)
Old 06-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Banned

well do you know of any process that i would be able to do myself to take the whitish look off of them and re-polish to make them look like they did?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 PM

Probably a clear coated wheel. the clear coat has been bamaged.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Probably a clear coated wheel. the clear coat has been bamaged.
That's my guess. Is there a warning on the bottle about spraying on painted or clearcoated wheels? If so, your wheels were most like a polished aluminum that has been clear coated.

I see that you have Vette wheels. Which ones? I don't believe GM ever offered the Y2K rims in chrome, only painted and polished.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stevez2885
no i have not contacted them yet it just happed like 30 min ago. i followed the instructions and i kid you not my wheels went from nice chrome to NO shine at all. this is rediculous and i bet if i contact mcguires there gonna be like "oh you did it wrong" or some kind of bs
man i would be calling them before i posted a thread about it. That sucks dude
Old 06-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned

ialready called them and their "wheel expert" is supposed to be calling me on monday. i have z06 wheels on the car. they were on there when i bought the car so i didnt have any idea that they would be polished aluminum with a clearcoat. i also have never seen anything happen to a wheel as what happened to mine.i figured id post this thread to try to keep this from happening to anyone else. good thing i was looking into getting black z06 motorsport wheels so im not as pissed but i still wanted to sell these to get most of my money back lol. i went and bought some different wheel cleaner and aluminum polish with a mothers powerball to try to make them look a little decent.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chrome cleaner is for chrome, you probably have something different, i used all their products in the past i even use their professional products and they are very good, if its a polish wheel just clean them and buff them out with the polish ball, if they are clear coated than i dot think you can bring those pupies back
Old 06-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Banned

well as far as now all i want to do is make them at least have just a brushed look. i want to be able to make trhem decent enough to sell them.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want black, why not just have those powdercoated? If you've stripped the clear from them, they will require constant polishing to look good. Powdercoating those wheels will save you money.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So you're bashing Meguiar's (it's not Mcguires) products and you don't even know what finish wheels you have or if you used the right product? I have had good experiences with their products.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

ok well im not necessarily bashing mcguires (or however you spell it) i was simply trying to inform other people to not do what i did. i use a ton of their other products too. after going out there and looking at them this morning (my wheels got screwed last night) im pretty sure they had a clear coat which would explain why they look the way they do.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

ill take thoses fucked up wheels if you want to sell em like is... cheap!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I use this stuff on my factory chrome 16's everytime I wash them, works fine and shines like new money! Never hurt my wheels and have used it atleast 20 times now. Wheels where probably not chrome.....just my thought
Old 06-07-2008, 02:09 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the rim was clearcoated, it still shouldnt have hurt it.
now if you sprayed that stuff on a HOT or even WARM clearcoated wheel, it will eat the **** up. give a nice chaulky white residue left behind that extremely hard to get off.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Here's a quick test to tell if your wheel is clearcoated or polished (bare): get a little metal polish and rub it into a small spot on the rim. If you get black residue back on the towel, it's an aluminum rim without clear. If you don't, then the wheels are clearcoated.
You may be able to repair a clearcoated rim the same way that you would repair paint on your car that has been stained -- using an abrasive polish. If the chemicals in the product have severely damaged the clearcoat, you could always strip it and then polish them. If it is in fact bare aluminum, a good metal polish and a Mothers' Powerball would work wonders. That combo removed 20+ years of neglect from my C3 'Vette's rims (bare aluminum).
Meguiar's does make excellent products, you just have to be very careful when trying things on tires and around metal parts like rims.

Quick Reply: just to warn a few of you about mcguires