Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Broken wheel lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Broken wheel lock

I've got a broken McGard wheel lock that is broken so close to the wheel that an extractor socket won't fit on.

Other than taking off the entire hub and removing the stud from behind what other options do I have?

Also when I talked to McGard they told me that their wheel locks will not last on 4th gens from 2000 on. It seems the wheel studs are a bit too long for the lock and every time you torque them on they stress the cap and eventually the cap pops off the lock and you are screwed!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Teching In

The only thing that we do is when this happens is drive a smaller thin wall socket onto the lock and then impact it off.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

exactly what ky dragracer said, smaller 12 point socket,beat it on there with a hammer and impact it off. Go to the parts store and buy one just for this little project as you dont want to destroy your regular sockets.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the tip. McGard also said to over-torque the other 4 nuts slightly (~20 ft lbs) to take some of the pressure off the lock.

The combination of the impact socket, tightening the other nuts and my trusty impact gun got the sucker off.

An the other three are off now and in the garbage.

McGard now has a note on their application page that the locks don't fit f-bodys from 2000 up -- wish they had of told me that when I bought them!