Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

worst wheel company

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worst wheel company

Anyone looking to purchase rims for their car should stay away from the complete wheel source and oe concepts wheels. I purchased a set of chrome c5's three years ago. These wheels spend more time in the garage or wrapped in blankets then on the road. They have seen 4700 miles inthree years and the chrome is flaking off. I don't use chemicals on them nor do I store them dirty. The company told me your screwed if they sat in a wharehouse for a year and you had a problem the first week they wouldn't warranty them. I understand the warranty but these wheels get treated better than my girlfriend. There is a spot where you can see through the chrome on them. I wasn't lookin for a new set but come on the big problem with this country is people not taking responsability for their actions. Anyway know where your stuff is coming from and make sure they are worthy of your hard earned money.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry about your bad luck
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that technology advances and new processes develop. But I'm an "old fart hot-rodder", and ever since I was a kid, back in the '50s, we were always told that you can't chrome plate aluminum. I don't remember the exact reason, however it's somethng to do with the incompatibility of the dissimilar metals. (aluminum, nickel and copper) Also, in today's world, everything is done with the goal of being faster and cheaper, so while a process may have been developed, it's probably time consuming and expensive, when done CORRECTLY.

Having retained that information in the back of my brain for all those years, I often wonder why people complain when chrome plating fails on their aluminum rims....
Old 07-15-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Unfortunately, you aren't going to get away from that. I had a set of chrome Z06s that I used for about 2 years and when I took them off, there was some flaking around the center bore and the lug holes.

The fact is, they are inexpensive replica wheels and nothing more. I probably won't ever buy another set of chrome replicas. You just have to understand that's the name of the game.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

IF you want good wheels that will last, buy them from a reputable company and pay what it takes to get a good set.

If you want cheap wheels then buy from "the other guys" and don't bitch when they start flaking after 3 years.

Cheap = Cheap, there is no way around that.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Teching In

I have a set of original chrome wheels on my wifes 95 and they are driven everyday theyare spotless. It's not that you cannot plate aluminum you just have to know what your are doing.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Teching In

These wheels were not cheap and I thought I was buying from a reputable company. I was not bitching to hear myself bitch I thought some people might apreciate this information but hey since you have money to blow or are just ******* perfect go read some other thread.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Teching In

I understand that now and like I said they were not cheap but I just thought someone might be grateful for the warning.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

If you think they weren't cheap compare them to some OE Chrome wheels and tell me they weren't cheap.

There's a reason that the company is called "OE Concepts". They are replica wheels.

I'm sorry about your luck, I've been there, bought some after market cheapo replicas and they started flaking sooner than yours. Lesson learned: don't buy cheap wheels. And if you think 150 a wheel is expensive, you are going to have a rude awakening when you find some wheels worth the money.

I have people come in all the time who went elsewhere and bought a set of 22's because they were only 1400 dollars compared to the 2200 I quoted them. Some have had them less than 3 months and the wheels don't balance out right and they start flaking inside the rim where the chrome plating was thin. Some of these company's I have never heard of and I have, more than once, ran across companies that have already went out of business after a VERY short time.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, sorry if I came across like that. Just trying to say, if you want nice rims, you're going to have to spend some dough.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Banned

Try Eagle wheels are good quality or GM makes their own wheels now . About the only problem I've had is the ****** UPS man dropping / bending my wheels . They get a nut off throwing box's & packages with "handle with care" on them and laugh out loud when they see "this end up" . I hate UPS ! !
But anyway , we all do appreciate you providing that info .
Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my wheels from OE wheels on ebay..i think thats the name they are gunmetal ZR1s and i have never had a problem with them..ever
Old 07-22-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
i bought my wheels from OE wheels on ebay..i think thats the name they are gunmetal ZR1s and i have never had a problem with them..ever
Gunmetal painted rims and Chrome Rims are two very different things. It takes a lot to get Chrome rims "chromed".
Old 07-22-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

A good quality wheel is NOT $150/rim. Especially chrome, just look at the chrome quality of a Forgeline wheel compared to an OE Concepts wheel, there is no comparison.

It sucks that these companies sell wheels that after a year need replacing, but they make a ton of money doing it and will continue to sell their crap to people that buy it.

You get what you pay for.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Teching In

I know what you mean but these wheels were like 1600 bucks and that is a lot of money to me I know it is not much in caomparison to what some of you guys have on your cars but I practiculy kicked my old lady out of the bed to store these things in the winter and I just hate to find out you cannot trust your parts guy.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Teching In

No that is a different company I actually have been looking at their polished c5 rims to replace these. they have a lot of good feedback. This is complete wheel source and the line is oe concepts. Thanx for your input though.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Teching In

I sadly paid more than $150 a wheel for these. If they were that cheap I would just order new ones and use these as a coffee table. I spent around $1600 and the tires were $400 so I thought for $1200 I would get a wheel that considering it spends more time looking out my garage door than on the road would last a little better. I mostly just wanted anyone else in my situation ( not alot a cash and needing wheels) to not make the same mistake.