Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Making a polished wheel look more satin than gloss..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a polished wheel look more satin than gloss..?

I just picked up a set of polished, non-clearcoated zo6 wheels and they are in kinda rough shape. alot of oxidization, and some pitting, but nothing serious. I started cleaning them up and hitting them with some fine steel wool and some aluminum polish.

Right now the one that i am working on is at a dull silver state, and I actually like the way it looks, not super shiny, but just a dull satin like aluminum. Is there anything that could keep them satin, but also keep them smooth, right now they have alot of fine scratches from the #000 steel wool that would probably be gone with some compound, but that would make them pretty shiny.

Has anyone ever had experience with this kinda stuff? i know its not hard to make them shiny like chrome, just elbow grease and whatnot. but to keep them satin and not covered with swirl marks, seems like its gonna be a task and a half.

Media blast? wetsand? any help, ideas, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of people hitting them with a scotch brite pad in one direction to give them that brushed look. Of course you would have to hit it with the scotch brite after you polished it everytime because the polish would take out the fine scratches.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Try red or white scotch brite. Also I really like the Mothers paste polish. I use it on my polished Y2Ks.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Launching!

or polish them and then clear coat them. it will dull away the bright polished look and stay that way. and be easy to clean!

just have to mist it on the first few coat otherwise it will just run b/c it doesn't have anything to stick to.