Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

NTB scratched my Y2K rim! I CANT WIN!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thumbs up NTB scratched my Y2K rim! I CANT WIN!

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. its about wheels and tires so i figured it was ok.
This is a bit of a long story, but gives you an idea of how my last few days have gone... My car is lowered with sportlines, and i have 17-18 Y2Ks.

Last Friday night I take my GF out on a date, great evening, great time. We are driving back to her house around 1130 or so, and my right rear wheel blows out. Lucky for me I was only going 45mph on a back road. I don't have a spare, or jack in my car. I like at my tire and see that almost a quarter of the sidewall has split open. it literally blew out. I call a buddy, he will come bail me out. He brings an original tire I had in the shed, and a jack. 2 hrs after the blow out, im at my gf's house. the reason for the tire blowing out, screw... next morning I go onto tire rack to purchase 2 new tires, since mine were wore out anyway. 2 sumitomos, $256 shipped, should be here Monday. sweet. I check my order status on Sunday to make sure it went through, and there is a hold on my order. I check my email, find out tire rack decided to put a hold on it cuz I ordered tires for a "corvette" and didn't order run flats. they ask me to contact them to verify my order. until then it wont be processed. tire rack is closed on Sundays. I call them Monday morning and get it straightened out. Tuesday my tires arrive. during my lunch on Tuesday I take my two rear wheels, and two new tires up to the local NTB that's around the corner from my work. They said, no problem, we will take care of it. The lady and I inspected my wheels and we both agreed that there was already 1 scratch on 1 wheel, and nothing else. they were in mint shape. prices it out to be $63 mounted and balanced... I come by after work to pick them up, and before I pay for them, I sit down and inspect the wheels. 2 new scratches, on the same rim that already had 1 scratch. I show the guy there, he said they came like that. I look at him and said no, the lady that was here earlier and I checked them, and agreed to 1 scratch. there are more. hes like, we didn't do it. I argued again and said you did. the guy then goes, "the best I can do is take $20 off the price of your mount and balance." I actually laughed and asked dif he was serious. I told him $20 wouldn't buy me a new rim, and wouldn't fix the scratch on my rim. I asked him what good is 20 bucks? I ask for a manager. they tell me the manager is busy. so I say ill wait. 30 min later, I ask for the manager. they say hes busy. I say ill wait. 30 min later, they tell me that the manager said all they can do is pay to have the rim refinished... so that's where im at now. I have in writing that they will pay to have the rim refinished, but I have to drop it off to them. and the turn around is a couple days. I know I probably should have refused to pay for the mount and balance, but I just wanted to get out of there and I was tired of dealing with them. My GF was with me the whole time we were there. she was really cool about everything. so do is there anything else I can do? any advice/suggestions? if not, it was nice to at least get my story out there, and vent a little bit. I have a bunch of pics of everything as well. before and after. ill try and post them up tonight.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I sold a set of silver Firehawk rims a few years ago and they were MINT. No curb rash, no scratches. I went to have the tires dismounted at a local shop and the guy slips and scratches one of the spokes. I was NOT happy! The best the guy would do for me is $20 off the dismount too. I just passed the savings onto my buyer and he was fine with it, but it still made me mad!

I would get a quote from a couple of different shops on what it's going to cost to have it refinished and then have them cut you a check or refund you that amount. If you put it on a credit card, you've got more options because you can dispute the charges, etc.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really anything you can do anymore, just let them take care of it and move on.

Things like that suck and I hate it just as much as you, but it does happen. Just avoid that shop next time, take your business somewhere else.

In the mean time, let them take care of it, be nice about the whole thing and it will all work out.

The most important thing you could ever remember is just talk to them like humans. I was in customer service for 3 years (same business, but dif. company) and when someone had a problem but was reasonable about the situation I was more than happy to help them out. If someone comes in yelling and screaming, they weren't going to get very far.

I'd be pissed if they told me the manager was busy even an hour after I asked for him. He's the manager, he needs to take care of his customers, that is some BS.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Teching In

NTB never again - this am got two new tires - they scratched my ws6 rims and said the scratches must have been there b4 - you can see the ridges on the scratches and tell they are new - I should have gone over the rims with salesman b4 they started their work
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats ntb stand for?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Teching In

National Tire & Battery - a Discount Tire want-to-be
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I know this is an old thread but want to mention this for others.
It is very aggravating but not unexpected from minimum wage workers.
For the past 10+ years I have probably overpaid for every set of tires I have purchased by about $50 - $100 for the set. Why?? The locally owned independant shop takes extreme care, using rags, towels, every means to protect the rims from damage. They let you watch the whole process and and treat the rims like their own. No turnover in employees either. These local shops are the ones to deal with and the result is zero aggravation with damaged rims.
If you don't know of any, ask local classic car clubs who they recommend. It will save you in the long run.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of forged wheels on my mustang,and same thing happend,long story short i go to places that deal with high dollar wheels, sucks man those chain tire shops just dont give a ****
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just remember a long time ago discount tire scratched two of my brand spanking new zr1 wheels and swore up and down they didnt do it. After sending them pics of the rims brand new they still wouldnt do anything that didnt require a crap load of work on my end..lesson learned that all those shops suck and wont do anything for you when they know they scratch EVERY set of wheels they touch
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

I feel your pain this is very frustrating when it happens. Hopefully everything gets sorted out in a fair manor.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my tires installed on my rims at an audio place that sells 22's and up... he laughed when I brought my 17's in and he guaranteed if he scratched one he would replace it.... turned out fine...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

It might just be the ppl they have working that day... I normally just go to the NTB bay and ask if anyone has some free time to mount and balance a pair of wheels for me... Talk to them nicely and throw them $20 and go on about my day...

Quick Reply: NTB scratched my Y2K rim! I CANT WIN!