Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Offset, Backspace question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offset, Backspace question

I have been wanting to buy some wheels for my car for a long time now but dont know what i should be looking for. I understand the size of the rim (17x9.5..17x11) but dont know what offset and backspace is? will this effect whether or not the tires will rub?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on what type of rim you get bro let me get you a linky that will help

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).*

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

*Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel (measured in inches).
Old 08-12-2008, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet link it helped alot. Thanks