Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

5X120 will they fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5X120 will they fit?

I've searched the threads and im an not able to find an answer, im looking into getting a set of HP EVO wheels but they are 5x120, i see alot of members on this site running them, how do they fit?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

They fit.

F-Body bolt pattern is 5-4.75 which is 120.65mm and the difference is not enough to worry about.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it is enough to worry about. I for one, care more about safety then getting some wheel. So, I will always go with the right bolt pattern, vs the proper bolt pattern.

It's added stress on the studs, which will be stressed over time, will most likely break. Some will some won't, you're basically putting trust into who ever made the studs that day....so were they made on a Friday or a Wednesday?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the response, i didnt think of that.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While I normally stress safety (as you can see by me ripping people who don't wear seatbelts, remove airbags in a daily driver, or go with low-quality HIDs), I don't think this one is a big issue.

there's hundreds of guys on here running 5x120 wheels, and I've not heard one of them have even a hint of a problem with it. I think it's probably fine. If someone has experience where something bad happened doing this, I'd really like to hear about it.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

not going to be a issue unless you are making alot of power. but i would go with something thats made for the car.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
I think it is enough to worry about. I for one, care more about safety then getting some wheel. So, I will always go with the right bolt pattern, vs the proper bolt pattern.

It's added stress on the studs, which will be stressed over time, will most likely break. Some will some won't, you're basically putting trust into who ever made the studs that day....so were they made on a Friday or a Wednesday?
If it was a safety issue why are company's allowed to sell them? It is written on there web sites that they will fit properly.If there were problems with fitment and wheels falling off wouldn't there be alot of lawsuits out there? I'm not trying to argue here I just don't see how it's a major problem when company's that sell these for a living back them up.One major lawsuit and it's over.I know I wouldn't sell a risky, possibly dangerous product knowing it could/will fail.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 5x120 Wheels and I have broken studs but mainly because of abusive driving. (High RPM Clutch Drops) Installed ARP's and now I have No Worries
Like the Others said there are literally hundreds of people on this site alone that have them without any issues.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

i love this wheel and i think they look great on f-bodys, especially black ones like mine, im def. considering purchasing these, and like you said get some ARP studs.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sstg
If it was a safety issue why are company's allowed to sell them? It is written on there web sites that they will fit properly.If there were problems with fitment and wheels falling off wouldn't there be alot of lawsuits out there? I'm not trying to argue here I just don't see how it's a major problem when company's that sell these for a living back them up.One major lawsuit and it's over.I know I wouldn't sell a risky, possibly dangerous product knowing it could/will fail.
Well, they're taking a risk. They just say it will fit because more people will buy them. And, obviously people are willing to take that risk. I won't, plain and simple. A broken stud could happen at anytime, what if that happens in a school zone, and you run over 10 kids. I think about the worst then doing things, and safety is always rule one in my book. Some people want to take the risk, then go right ahead, but it's not worth it to me. Beside, I'm not a fan of the wheels anyways. So, I guess I really have nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by LS1W66
I have 5x120 Wheels and I have broken studs but mainly because of abusive driving. (High RPM Clutch Drops) Installed ARP's and now I have No Worries
Like the Others said there are literally hundreds of people on this site alone that have them without any issues.
Yeah, there may be a lot of people that do it. There are also hundreds of people that go 150mph, and nothing happens. I can say I've done it, and I'm still here to say I lived. So, just because there hasn't been any serious accidents because of using this particular bolt pattern doesn't mean there never will be.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Where is your prove these put more stress over the lugs??? The most common cause of lug failure is OVER tightening them....

If you want to feel like a hero be my guest but you have absolutely no prove on what your saying. The nuts are conical, when they are properly tightened the pressure force is evenly distributed around the lug. What you are saying would have some sense if the nuts where not conical causing the wheel orifice to wobble around the lug....
Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
Where is your prove these put more stress over the lugs??? The most common cause of lug failure is OVER tightening them....

If you want to feel like a hero be my guest but you have absolutely no prove on what your saying. The nuts are conical, when they are properly tightened the pressure force is evenly distributed around the lug. What you are saying would have some sense if the nuts where not conical causing the wheel orifice to wobble around the lug....
I assume you meant PROOF in your post, but if you can point out one time I said I had proof, then by all means quote it.

I said, I won't be doing it because it's more risk then I want to take. If you want to, go ahead, I don't care. I for one will spend the extra money on something that's safe, IMO. It's been realized that most people that own Fbodies are cheap, and they'll do anything to save a buck...I'm not like that. If I want a certain style of wheel, and it doesn't come in the bolt pattern I need, well I'll find some that will make them in that bolt pattern.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh sorry, professor....yes proof. You have no proof at all.....a lot of people have experience in the matter at hand, you dont even have that. Buddy, you are just taking out of your ***...

Please give a rational explanation as to why that bolt pattern is not safe...you are just babbling nonsense...

Who said wheels with 5x120 are cheap???? You think people go for them bacause they are cheap??? Great argument there.

Find me someone who had an accident due to that bolt pattern....I guess it will be a LOOONG wait.....
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
Oh sorry, professor....yes proof. You have no proof at all.....a lot of people have experience in the matter at hand, you dont even have that. Buddy, you are just taking out of your ***...

Please give a rational explanation as to why that bolt pattern is not safe...you are just babbling nonsense...

Who said wheels with 5x120 are cheap???? You think people go for them bacause they are cheap??? Great argument there.

Find me someone who had an accident due to that bolt pattern....I guess it will be a LOOONG wait.....
You're obviously overlooking my previous post, typical.

And yes, I'm say most people that buy these wheels are cheap, because the wheels they're buying are cheap. It's well known that Ruff is one of the cheapest wheels out there, and people love that.

Here's a good argument, if you need to have one, since you seem to slated on needing one. Go to a track, tell them you're running the wrong bolt pattern for your car, and see if they allow you to pass tech. Any tech with a clue with fail you're inspection. Why, because you're taking a risk, while they don't want to take that risk.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

End of discussion . . . chaman, your attitude needs an adjustment . . .

Technically the bolt pattern to a F-Car is 120.65 x 5 . . .

Technically the 120 x 5 bolt pattern is wrong . . . it fits a GTO and BMW's . . .

So technically they do not fit . . .

Will they go on a F-Car? Yes . . .

Will the lug nut tighten acceptably? Yes . . .

Do the lug studs get stressed differently? Yes, but the amount is very tiny . . .

Is it advised? No . . .

Will you have a problem? Most likely not . . .

More just a be aware of the issue, and check.

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 09-29-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 5X120 will they fit?