Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

All four wheels bent? What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All four wheels bent? What would you do?

Hey guys just bought my camaro 2 days ago from a private party. I noticed a little front end vibration but figured the wheels just needed to be balanced. I took them to have them balanced and I got the grave news! A four wheels are out of round! I just about had a heart attack!
What the hell am I going to do now? If I buy new wheels and tires how do I know that the front end and rear end are not all screwed up? What would you do?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks. Gives you an excuse for an upgrade though
Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TORK?
That sucks. Gives you an excuse for an upgrade though
I dont think its going to be an upgrade If I find out the whole front end needs to be replaced.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think the entire front end will need to be replaced, i wonder how he bent all four wheels.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Had the car looked at. Front end is ok. I have a leaky pinion seal and the oil pan gasket is leaking too. Awell at least I know where I stand.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sicko
I dont think its going to be an upgrade If I find out the whole front end needs to be replaced.
Hang on a minute...Are the wheels "bent", or are they "out of round"? Those are two distinctly different problems.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Hang on a minute...Are the wheels "bent", or are they "out of round"? Those are two distinctly different problems.
They are out of round.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

If you can find a used wheel store, they usually know where to find a wheel repair center. I just had 2 wheels repaired after my old T/A was totaled and it was only $175 a wheel. If you can find a place, they do good work for a lot cheaper than a new wheel!!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

They are out of round.

Not to be repetitive, BUT.... The place that told you this, did they simply say, "They're out of round", and mean the wheel/tire assembly, or did they remove the tires from the wheels and actually put a dial indicator on the rims, and accurately determine the wheels' "roundness".

Are these OE or aftermarket wheels? If they're OEs, I find it hard to believe that you've got 4 of them, all on the same car.

You might just have 4 crappy tires.....
Old 10-03-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Not to be repetitive, BUT.... The place that told you this, did they simply say, "They're out of round", and mean the wheel/tire assembly, or did they remove the tires from the wheels and actually put a dial indicator on the rims, and accurately determine the wheels' "roundness".

Are these OE or aftermarket wheels? If they're OEs, I find it hard to believe that you've got 4 of them, all on the same car.

You might just have 4 crappy tires.....
Ditto, we need more info here. A lot of times if you have trouble getting tires to balance out you can remove them and turn them 180* and they will balance fine.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Well have you talked to the seller about this?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

To answer some questions:

I went on Wednesday to have the wheels balanced. I was told they are unable to balance them because all four wheels are out of round. They told me the passenger-side wheels were really bad but the driver-side front wasn't too bad, but still couldn't be balanced. He then asked me if I had been in an accident. I of course said no. His response was "Huh". Then I left scratching my head.
I tried contacting the seller on Thursday and again today but he contently doesn't answer his phone or return my messages.
Yeah the tires are crap too so I'm sure that doesn't help, they are NOT worn, they are just cheap poop.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk about any laws here but if the seller didnt mention any of the problems with the car im sure you are entitled to get your money back or have him pay for the repairs because you shouldnt have those problems, especially if you didnt know about them.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

To answer some questions:

I went on Wednesday to have the wheels balanced. I was told they are unable to balance them because all four wheels are out of round. They told me the passenger-side wheels were really bad but the driver-side front wasn't too bad, but still couldn't be balanced. He then asked me if I had been in an accident. I of course said no. His response was "Huh". Then I left scratching my head.
I tried contacting the seller on Thursday and again today but he contently doesn't answer his phone or return my messages.
Yeah the tires are crap too so I'm sure that doesn't help, they are NOT worn, they are just cheap poop.

Sicko, you need to take a more logical approach...Step 1 is find another tire shop. You potentially have 3 problems: Bent wheels; Bad tires; or, a combination of both. However, a blanket explanation, "You got bent rims cause they won't balance" is wrong. Bent rims WILL balance, they just wont drive right...you'll get a little wobble.

Their explanation doesn't work, unless, of course, the shop wants to sell you a new set of both wheels and tires....

Again, what kind of wheels are they?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

it is possible that the balancer person didnt put them on the machine right. i would agree to take them to another shop and see what they say.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Sicko, you need to take a more logical approach...Step 1 is find another tire shop. You potentially have 3 problems: Bent wheels; Bad tires; or, a combination of both. However, a blanket explanation, "You got bent rims cause they won't balance" is wrong. Bent rims WILL balance, they just wont drive right...you'll get a little wobble.

Their explanation doesn't work, unless, of course, the shop wants to sell you a new set of both wheels and tires....

Again, what kind of wheels are they?
They are the Stock SS wheels. The shop was persistent about showing me a whole selection or wheels. So your saying I should get a second opinion?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

It sounds like you just got some **** tires. Maybe they have been sitting a while and just got, well, out of round. But it also just sounds like the tire dudes didn't really know what they were doing. Go somewhere else. If it does come down to the actual wheels, I have a pair of ZR-1's I took off my SS at about 14k miles I'll let go for real cheap.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

They are the Stock SS wheels. The shop was persistent about showing me a whole selection or wheels. So your saying I should get a second opinion?
General Motors has some pretty stringent specs for wheel roundness, so I find it extermely hard to believe that you have 4 bent rims. And, very conveniently, they just happen to have 4 wheels that will work on your car...

By any chance, do they want YOUR wheels in trade??

If so, run for the nearest exit!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Yup I know the car has been sitting awhile because with only 37k miles I have a leaking Rear dif and a leaking oil pan gasket. I also found today that the previous owner was running conventional oil with a fram filter! DOH! I changed to Mobile 1 all around today and she is much happier. Monday I will take her to have a second opinion on the wheels.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Teching In

That sounds fishy as hell! The chances for having all 4 wheels out of round/bent is almost nil. Go to another shop. Don't tell them what the other guy said and see what they tell you.

Quick Reply: All four wheels bent? What would you do?