12 Second Club In the 12s yet? Come inside!

Broken valve spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken valve spring

So I was driving normal today went a valve spring let go, well I got the car home and pulled the valve covers to find one broken spring and a rocker that took a **** also there were needle bearings everywhere, busted retainer, and more than likely bent valve seeing as it wont move freely, so Im pulling the heads off and going with 5.3's comp 918 spring and TSP V.2 cam. Also while the have it down Im going to install my tranny cooler.... I know what a bummer right !

BYE BYE 12 second club!

HELLO 11 second club !
Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much shrapnel was visible? Might want to look in the pan and see what's there. If you find metal take it apart and clean it up.

Al 95 Z28
Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Teching In

There was not metal, the piston never broke, We plan on dropping the K member pulling the pan and replacing the piston with the motor in the car. So while the pan is out we plan on checking eveything out and shimming the oil pump for more pressure .
Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

I broke a PAC spring driving home on night doing 35mph.
The spring broke into 3 pieces. When the intake valve dropped, it hit the piston a numerous amount of times, and shot the valve threw the valve guide/port.

I pulled the head and de-burred the piston in hopes of saving the short block. I later discovered that the cylinder wall got nicked, so I pulled the engine for further investigating. The oil pan, and pickup had debris, and the rod bearing was heavily scored.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Damn that sux, when it happend I shut the car down really quick. The valve bent inside the valvr guide so it never fell all the way downin the cylinder. I just replaced the heads all together and put a new piston in it.....

Quick Reply: Broken valve spring