LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   12 Second Club (https://ls1tech.com/forums/12-second-club-86/)
-   -   Target; 12.99 or better (https://ls1tech.com/forums/12-second-club/1882986-target-12-99-better.html)

MikeyZ28SS 10-14-2017 04:46 PM

Target; 12.99 or better

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for input, advice and estimates on how it'll run.
Currently; Mods listed in my signature; Port/Polished TB, 8.5mm MSD Wires, Free Mods, Bump Stop, Ram Air (Sealed to hood), 3.42's, 4-Auto, Stock Street tires. 93 Octane gas, 1300 - 1400 RPM launch results; 2.04, 2.05 60' times, 13.59 @ 101.5 range. Still factory exhaust; Single outlet Tailpipe Left (SOTL). Iridium NKG's. Stock converter still in place.... So room to lower ET with a good converter, right now it'd just blow the Kumho tires away, limited to power braking up to about 1400 rpm. See attached timeslips.

Got one last shot at the Mason-Dixon Drag Strip planned for Nov 3rd, evening, trying to take advantage of cooler/drier air. And to see how my home brewed HP Tuners Tune is working! Hopefully I'll run a 13.40 - 13.45 with the current set up and tune.

For my goal of mid to high 12's; I already picked up the Dorman LS2 intake, need to do a little port clean up on it, then add a WARR 92mm TB. Have a set of Hooker L/Tubes and an Texas Speed Off Road Y-Pipe in the garage awaiting colder weather (drag strip is closing for the season late Nov), Then will do the installs. Hoping that combo of bolt-on mods might get me somewhere in the upper 12's or better.... Then in the spring will add Tires; Toyo Tq's or Hoosiers.

So burning question is what do you think It ought to run with the bolt-on's planned for the fall/winter? Any and all input is welcomed!
Thanks!
Mike

HioSSilver 10-14-2017 06:15 PM

I run at mason dixon to. Free mods are enough to run 12s.

MikeyZ28SS 10-14-2017 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 19746536)
I run at mason dixon to. Free mods are enough to run 12s.

Hope to run into you there Friday November 3rd, well not literally! But would like to pick your brain a bit.
Mike

HioSSilver 10-14-2017 09:07 PM

Cool.....maybe I'll ride over and sat hi

MikeyZ28SS 10-25-2017 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 19746618)
Cool.....maybe I'll ride over and sat hi

HioSSilver,
Long term forecast is shaping up; nice... low 60's Temp & Humidity, should keep the DA to 1000 or less, beats the 2700-3400 I got hit with every time I went to Mason-Dixon this year. Should have a couple co-workers bringing their cars out as well. '99 Formula, '09 G37, possibly a '17 Mustang 5.0, who knows what else. Hoping I get more feedback (posted in the PCM & Tuning section) on the HPT Tune I've been working on, really would love to hit or get close to that 12.99!!!
Thanks and hope you can make it.
Mike

HioSSilver 10-26-2017 03:17 PM

A buddy and i was planning on riding over. Along with another friend who has a 5br0. But the other friend texted me today and said they canceld it. I hope they didn't but i haven't double checked yet.

MikeyZ28SS 10-26-2017 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 19755554)
A buddy and i was planning on riding over. Along with another friend who has a 5br0. But the other friend texted me today and said they canceld it. I hope they didn't but i haven't double checked yet.

Checking on it.... I sent Mr. Wachter (Track Owner) an email asking about the T&T on the 3rd... No response yet.
Maybe if he hears from enough folks ... He's changed the schedule before! :-)
Email; From: Elmer Wachter <dragway1@aol.com>

Will update as I hear more, that would really suk if its cancelled!
I think this Saturday, might be the only other option... Gotta hit their web site and look at the full schedule remaining.
Thanks!
Mike

UPDATE:
This Saturday the 28th

http://www.keepandshare.com/userpics...?ts=1484836272
Test & Tune
Gates open at 10:00 am
Run from 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Now I gotta see if I can meet the day and a half time crunch - schedule. Supposed to RAIN SATURDAY *** Hoping for a Reschedule back to next Friday... May need to put that thought in Elmer's ear :secret:

HioSSilver 10-26-2017 08:51 PM

Ok.....keep me posted.

MikeyZ28SS 10-27-2017 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 19755819)
Ok.....keep me posted.

Friday November the 3rd: Cancelled. Track doesn't have an EMS team to be at the track that day as they had a prior commitment, but didn't advise Mr. Wachter until a few days ago.
I sent a thanks for the update, and asked if he might offer up a replacement date or two... Keeping up the pressure!
Mike

murphinator 10-29-2017 05:17 PM

start with sticky tires , cool air and sticky tires should put any STOCK ls1 Camaro low low 13's and go from there , even borrow a pair of dr's for a pass , especially where you have 342's dr's should be a huge benefit.

MikeyZ28SS 10-29-2017 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by murphinator (Post 19757663)
start with sticky tires , cool air and sticky tires should put any STOCK ls1 Camaro low low 13's and go from there , even borrow a pair of dr's for a pass , especially where you have 342's dr's should be a huge benefit.

Murphinator,
Completely agree. Checked and can grab a set of Nitto's 555R's for $360/pr delivered, or NT05R's for $390. The 555R's look a little more "street friendly", especially if it rains at all. Any difference between them using a stock converter? And what is the max RPM I can get out of the Stock Converter, street tires won't hold to find out...

Yes, the stock Kumho's on there would only hold pwr braking to about 1,400, I tried launching at 2,000, but it just spun bad, slid to the right a foot or two and then hooked up went... still went a 13.73 @ 102 in 2870 DA. Mason-Dixon is 541 Ft elevation. DA's with cooler weather are down below 1000, recently saw a few hundred Ft DA's - -450 DA in the cool mornings....

So watch very closely to see when they reschedule a Rained out Event from today too - as it had Test & Tune open as well as the event.

Trying to see what my tune has done to the ET & MPH, plus much better air, not sure I can borrow a set of DR's on a week or so notice... 12's may have to wait for next spring when the track reopens - closes around Thanksgiving.
Thanks again!
Mike

BTW; Absolutely LOVE the color grey / pewter on your picture. Awesome!

murphinator 11-03-2017 02:29 PM

post in your local section to see if anyone is going that can loan you tires for a pass or 2 or just ask around anybody with 5 lug gm small pattern and offer some green to borrow or rent for a pass or 2 just promise to treat hem with respect heat them till you see smoke then stop they will stick a lot better than street tires.

When I took my stalled bolt on car to the track it was a cold night and the track even went away for dr's after the dew settled , I ended up pulling the front sway bar and sticking my toolbox and jack in the spare tire well to get it to hook again , if you cant come up with dr's pull the front sway and add some ballast as far back as possible....

HioSSilver 11-03-2017 02:37 PM

Are you still goin? Forecast looks poo for tomorrow.

MikeyZ28SS 11-03-2017 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 19761592)

Can't do this weekend, car has a low thump (sounds like a flat spotted tire), noise increases with speed from a slow roll up to about 20-25 mph then its drowned out by the exhaust.
Car goes into for a check-up on Tuesday, so should be good for either next Saturday the 11th or Sunday 12th - Whichever day looks better weather wise. Just looked at long range forecast - Saturday 11th looks real good!
:rock:
Finally got a response from the track owner; $60 since its the last few weekends and only Scheduled events are going on these last few weeks... A bit pricey, but pulling a low 13 high 12 would sure make it worthwhile to me! I'll keep you posted on which of next weekends days looks better. Hopefully this rain streak will end and some more cool dry air rolls in by then!

Do you or anyone local got a set of DR's I can use for a run or two? Will compensate... How about $20 as a 12.9X bonus!

Mike

MikeyZ28SS 11-03-2017 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by murphinator (Post 19761587)
post in your local section to see if anyone is going that can loan you tires for a pass or 2 or just ask around anybody with 5 lug gm small pattern and offer some green to borrow or rent for a pass or 2 just promise to treat hem with respect heat them till you see smoke then stop they will stick a lot better than street tires.

When I took my stalled bolt on car to the track it was a cold night and the track even went away for dr's after the dew settled , I ended up pulling the front sway bar and sticking my toolbox and jack in the spare tire well to get it to hook again , if you cant come up with dr's pull the front sway and add some ballast as far back as possible....

Check - on the ballast, will throw a dead body back there if necessary... J/K... sort of. Can unbolt the front sway bar so it least gets as much front lift / weight transfer as possible.
HioSSilver might be going as well, will have to ask if he has a set or DR's for a run or 2.

MikeyZ28SS 11-08-2017 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 19761592)

HioSSilver,

I'm going Saturday the 11th. Weather is being great. About 40 degrees. DA should be Negative 500 to Neg 900 range, likely in the middle somewhere...
That compared to the 2780 - 3250 DA on the 13.60 runs should get me down into the 13.20 13.30 range, then add in the "tune" I made, and hopefully another tenth or two off... Possibly 13.20 - 13.00 range, maybe better if I'm underestimating traction and the DA's positive impact a high 12 ???. If you go look for a blue ss, and a 5'8" grey beard guy... LOL
Mike

HioSSilver 11-08-2017 08:21 PM

Ok....I'll see if i can make it. I was planning in going to a local swap meet on Saturday. If i go I'll probably run my termi notch. I have a set of dr's i can bring but they are on bogarts and typically need some grinding on the calipers.

MikeyZ28SS 11-09-2017 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 19765643)
Ok....I'll see if i can make it. I was planning in going to a local swap meet on Saturday. If i go I'll probably run my termi notch. I have a set of dr's i can bring but they are on bogarts and typically need some grinding on the calipers.

HioSSilver,
I really appreciate the offer, but prefer not to grind the calipers. I'll hold off until spring and grab a set of stock 17"x9" rims and a set of DR's.
I gotta ask.... What the heck is a "termi notch"? Assume its a notchback, of some sort... :confused: What's it run?
Thanks!
Mike

HioSSilver 11-09-2017 06:00 PM

This

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...2b2912f265.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...719b0cceef.jpg

It has a 03 cobra engine in a notch. It went 11.5@122

MikeyZ28SS 11-09-2017 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 19766328)
This
It has a 03 cobra engine in a notch. It went 11.5@122

Dang! Back in 87 I bought a new Notch 5.0L 5-sp. Black with Grey Vinyl interior. Used it (lease) for 4 years of Drag Racing at '87 & '88 Supercar Showdown in Salem OH, At Beechbend in Bowling Green KY, and a number of Tracks in Ohio. Best ET 13.35 @ 103mph, through mufflers on street tires. All it had was OR-Y, 3.55's & a K&N air-filter. It was my "Family Car", drove to the track, unloaded the wife and 4 kids, then raced... Fun stuff! Used to launch the 5-spd at 1,300 to avoid baking the tires off it - NO Traction! Used ot give the GN's and Corvettes fits running even with them!