Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with my first tune!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my first tune!

I have searched on this site and others and have not found a definitive and concise answer to my question so I decided to start my own thread in hopes that someone experienced can help me. I am installing some LT's and True Duals this weekend. I will be eliminating the EGR, AIR, CATS and rear O2's. What exactly do I need to do so that I don't get a code and can pass emmissions (if that's possible). We don't have the sniffer test here in Vegas. If someone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I got my headers installed and eliminated all the smog equipment. Nobody can help me with HP Tuners and tuning all this out? I guess I'll have to learn by trial and error.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

i think this will help you out...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/203481-hp-tuners-removing-air-egr-rear-o2-s-did-search-want-clear.html
Old 08-28-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the post. I tried what was mentioned in the thread and my car runs great! The only thing is that I don't know if I can pass smog, since we don't have the sniffer test here in Vegas. I was hoping that someone has been through this and could just confirm that I could pass. We'll have to see. If I do then I will post for others to read. Thanks again for your time.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

well if youve eliminated the cats you wont pass a visual inspection. as far as the sniffer goes, it depends on just how rich/lean your AFR is
Old 08-28-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

In GA, we do not have visual test or sniffer for 1996+ cars but they do check for MIL Lamp, Gas Cap Pressure Test,DTC Codes, and Readiness test. I just had my car inspected yesterday and passed as I had to get my tag renewed.

To check your readiness test, go into your VCM Scanner and select Tools -> View DTC's. This will present you with your trouble codes if any and at the bottom all of your readiness test. You will need for these to be in a "Complete" state in order for you to pass if they check this which most likely they will.

Readiness test are test that the VCM completes when you complete a drive cycle for each system (Catalyst, O2 Heaters, Misfire ,etc...) The drive cycle needs to incorporate all the factors that satisfies the conditions of each test in order for it to complete. I have a document that explains the GM Drive cycle and it says you can do it in 15 minutes if you follow the procedure. This is not usually possibly as the test are very difficult to complete successfully unless you have a lot of open road.

If you don't want to fool around with getting them to complete the normal way you can set your DTC "3" No Error Reported and set your SES Enabled to OFF. If you do this for each system that you are disabling, all the test will complete as soon as you turn the key after you flash the VCM.

BTW, Georgia can have 2 test that are in the incomplete status for cars that are 1996-2000 and 1 incomplete for 2001+ You will need to check for your state as it may be different.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

monodax, thanks so much for your information. I set all the DTC's that relate to the equipment I removed to 3-no error reported and left the SES enabled on. I guess i will disable that. I have been hearing things about the EVAP codes but don't know if this has anything to do with what I am doing. Again, thanks for your help.