Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Are wheel spacers bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

SLP now has some 4th gen style wheels for 3rd gens, maybe they will be better than adapters or spacers if you like the style.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeaah, I know that but they are only offered in 8 inches wide
Old 09-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Default wheel spacers are delicious!

Heres the bad thing about wheel spacers. They are harder on wheel bearings due to the increased leverage placed on them by pushing the wheels out further. I have corvette mags on my lowered camaro and they rub the inside of the fenders like hell. So the only answer is a spacer. I guess tearin' up wheel bearings is the price of bein cool right? As for increased strain on the wheel studs, you can always just get some serious duty wheel studs from someone like ARP to solve the problem. Though it's not much of a problem anyways. Then there's the argument of rotating mass. These things aren't flywheels. Wheel spacers have fairly small diameters, so it's not like they're spinning at a million miles an hour. Unless you're looking to shave off that last .oo1 second, I can just about guarantee the average driver won't notice the difference. Anyone know who makes a good cheap set of spacers?
Old 09-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedster321
Heres the bad thing about wheel spacers. They are harder on wheel bearings due to the increased leverage placed on them by pushing the wheels out further. Anyone know who makes a good cheap set of spacers?
That is only partly true in the case you are attempting to stick the wheel out far beyond its intended "range" so to speak(kind of like some people who put 13" daytons on their car with 1" backspace and a 8"wide rim). Many people who are looking at spacers are trying to put a wheel on with a deeper offset than their factory wheels and they have to use a spacer/adapter to correct the offset of the wheel. Example - 3rd gen camaro, has 0mm offset in front and 16mm offset in rear. There is no problem with running 0mm offset on all four. So say the owner wants to install some 4th gen WS6 wheels that have a 50mm or so offset. To correct this, they will need a 2" adapter like the one pictured above. Using that style will make mounting the application no different that using the stock wheel with 0mm offset.

Forgive me if it is confusing but that's the best i can word it.

Quick Reply: Are wheel spacers bad?