Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Guys with the RKS Tonneau covers - Gaps and Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Guys with the RKS Tonneau covers - Gaps and Cracks

LMAO... sounds like a **** title... Gaps and Cracks

Today I noticed that the corner of my trunk lid, on the driver side, is cracked. My covers seem to have a tight fitment and caused this crack. It's like when I go to close it, it squeaks and seems hard to shut.

I have included pics of the fitment and some gaps that I have.

The seam that runs down the middle of the two covers, has a larger gap in the back, than the front.

BACK GAP:

CLOSE UP OF BACK GAP:

FRONT GAP:

PASS SIDE GAPS:

DRIVER SIDE GAPS:

CRACK ON TRUNK LID DRIVE SIDE:

Old 05-14-2014, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hello!?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

For some reason, my browser isn't showing your pics, so I can't see exactly what you are referring to. However, the tonneau design, the way it bridges across the rear seat area w/ no support in the middle-front, is prone to cracking near the seat belt cutouts. Mine started showing cracks here before I built a small "prop" that supports the middle-front of the tonneau (it sits in the rear seat cupholders). This prevented the cracks from getting worse, and eliminated alot of the squeaking the tonneau creates as it bounces up and down as you drive.

I've not had any problems with the tonneau causing my rear deck lid to crack, however since it is thicker than the factory "boot" where it tucks under the deck lid, I can see how it could increase stress on the front of the deck lid. Need to make sure the lip on tonneau's flange that tucks under the rear deck lid fits over the back of the car's frame and not on top, as this would increase the thickness that the deck lid must now clamp down on. You might also be able to adjust the deck lid hinge to allow a little more gap there for the tonneau's flange.

As for the gap between the two halves of the tonneau, check to be sure something isn't binding between the two pieces and not allowing them to "mate" squarely. Check the wing-nuts to be sure they are tight too, if they are loose then I could see how an uneven gap could grow there.

The tonneau isn't a perfect fit to the car either, so small gaps around the perimeter isn't too unusual. The gap you have between the two halves could certainly cause a less than perfect fit. I'd try to solve that first, then see where else you have binding / fit issues.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm... wonder why you can't see them; I linked from Photobucket

Mine are still in two pieces, that way I can sit the halves in the back seat, if need be, and still be able to put the top up.

I think I found the issue with what caused the crack in my trunk lid. There is weather stripping that runs along the edge of my covers and it's a bit too think for the trunk lid to close and caused it to crack, due to pressure. I'm glad I have another vert, but think still sucks!

Yeah they really did a shitty job designing this thing! The fitment SUCKs! There's a huge gap where it sits along the Q-Panel and you can see the vert frame if you look down into it.

I would love to glass mine and make it a one piece, but if it rains, or whatever, I'd be **** out of luck.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure it's a genuine RkSport cover? I have seen some replica's floating around.

The reason I ask is I have one of the RkSport covers and it looks nothing like yours - it's as though they are from two complete different molds! The fitment on mine is perfect and there are no gaps and cracks at all.

I've owned my cover for 10+ years and it looks the same as the day I first installed it. In all fairness, I've only used it a handful of times and it just hangs on the garage wall.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have pics of it and the fitment?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

I do, but not at the moment. I'll dig them up.....
Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2GOOD4U
Are you sure it's a genuine RkSport cover? I have seen some replica's floating around.
I think you may be right! I realigned the cover to where it should fit, with no gap, along the Q-Panel, and up to the seat belt loop and drain hole, in the weatherstripping, and it looks perfect, but nothing else lines up. The lip that holds down the cover, from under the trunk lid, is like 3 inches in the air.

Man this pisses me off! I bought this from a member here so long ago that I can't remember their name.

I really want to see how yours alines up! Get those pics Bro!!!

Well he can't be the only open with pic! Come on guys, post some pics for a Bro!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

DAMN IT! Now I just want to take a bat and smash the hell out of these covers!

Does anyone want to sell a REAL set?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Johnny B! Can you see the pics now?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Hey Johnny B! Can you see the pics now?
Yes, I can see the pics now, I think the browser at work was blocking pics from certain sites (damn big brother).

Seems like the gap between the two at the back is going to create an angle between the "tabs" that tuck under the trunk lid, and until that is resolved, you won't get a good fit around the rest of it. I don't think the fit of mine (which I purchased from DGM - David Green Motorsports I believe - not RKS) along the quarter panels is a whole lot better, but I know they fit nice under the trunk lid and don't have a gap between the two pieces.

Also, it looks to me like the crack in your trunk lid has been repaired before. Might just be the light reflection off it in the pics, but that paint quality doesn't look "factory". I too have to be careful to be sure the weatherstripping "tucks" down between the lid and the cover when I close the lid.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is yours a David Green Motorsports brand or is it a RKS brand that you bought through DGM?

Good to know you're fit like mine around the Q-Panel, because that gap just looks like it would be from some kind of knock off, but saying that, I can't believe that's how they made these, with that big *** gap! I'm still waiting to see some pics from 2GOOD4U. Maybe his fit differently than ours.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey 2GOOD4U, how about those pics? I also saw one of your classified threads where you were trying to sell yours. Do you still have it?
Old 05-24-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

So there's only the three of use, out of all the members here, that have the RKS covers!!!???
Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

So is yours a David Green Motorsports brand or is it a RKS brand that you bought through DGM?

Good to know you're fit like mine around the Q-Panel, because that gap just looks like it would be from some kind of knock off, but saying that, I can't believe that's how they made these, with that big *** gap! I'm still waiting to see some pics from 2GOOD4U. Maybe his fit differently than ours.
Not sure if DGM was selling their own design, or re-selling RKS's. At the time I purchased mine (part of a group buy IIRC), DGM was offering it both with and w/o the carbon fiber in the humps (as did RKS I believe). They both looked very similar (DGM's and RKS's). If these are anything like the shaker hood I had on my Dak R/T, the mold was probably designed by 1 guy and then sold to 1 or 2 different shops for fabrication (or one made a copy of the other). I'd be surprized to see more than one mold / design of these out there. There's not a huge market for these.

Mine's been in a box in the attic since we moved in 2008. If / when I get a chance to get it out and put it on, I'll be sure to take pictures and post them here. But I can't make any promises. Working on a trans swap on my '68 Cutlass which will keep me busy for awhile.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Here is a picture of the one I had on my 99 (sold with the car).

I am 99% sure mine was an RK Sports product. The joint in the center was very close to perfect and pretty hard to see unless you were right on top of it. The overall fitment on the car was excellent. Only my opinion but I suspect you got one made by someone else; maybe using a mold that was pulled from an RK Sport unit. I wish I had one for my 2002 but I no longer have a place to store it (that got sold too). There are a few more pictures of it installed in My Garage.

Last edited by GR8RYD; 05-28-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Add garage information.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Not sure if DGM was selling their own design, or re-selling RKS's. At the time I purchased mine (part of a group buy IIRC), DGM was offering it both with and w/o the carbon fiber in the humps (as did RKS I believe). They both looked very similar (DGM's and RKS's). If these are anything like the shaker hood I had on my Dak R/T, the mold was probably designed by 1 guy and then sold to 1 or 2 different shops for fabrication (or one made a copy of the other). I'd be surprized to see more than one mold / design of these out there. There's not a huge market for these.

Mine's been in a box in the attic since we moved in 2008. If / when I get a chance to get it out and put it on, I'll be sure to take pictures and post them here. But I can't make any promises. Working on a trans swap on my '68 Cutlass which will keep me busy for awhile.
Yeah I am thinking we got screwed Bro! These don't seem to be the real deal.

Aren't your glassed into a 1 piece setup?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GR8RYD
Here is a picture of the one I had on my 99 (sold with the car).

I am 99% sure mine was an RK Sports product. The joint in the center was very close to perfect and pretty hard to see unless you were right on top of it. The overall fitment on the car was excellent. Only my opinion but I suspect you got one made by someone else; maybe using a mold that was pulled from an RK Sport unit. I wish I had one for my 2002 but I no longer have a place to store it (that got sold too). There are a few more pictures of it installed in My Garage.
damn that looks good! Can really tell the difference between yours and my, just by the fitment of that center seems. Do you have pics of the Q-Panel? If you look at my pics, above, you'll see I have that nasty *** gap; you can looking down and into it and see the frame of the top. Looks like ****! Did yours have the gap? Do you have pics of that area?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Sorry I don't think I have any other pictures. Mine came in two pieces and I took them that way to be painted to match the car. Then I bolted the two halves together with heavy duty bolts, washers, and locking nuts. I never took it apart after that. If it was not on the car, it was hanging on the wall in our (then) garage. The seam down the middle had no gap; just the slight bevel along the edges which is what you can see. The fit around the top area was excellent; probably no more than a 1/4" anywhere.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I am thinking we got screwed Bro! These don't seem to be the real deal.

Aren't your glassed into a 1 piece setup?
Not sure what you mean by getting screwed. Mine fit just fine, they are in 2 pieces as well, and the gap (seam really) between them is uniform, not a wedge like your's shown in the picture above. As I have recommended to you before, figure out why the gap between your two halves is not uniform, it is clear from the photos that they are not fitting together properly, and with that non-uniform gap, I would not expect it to fit elsewhere perfectly either.

As far as these (that may not have come from RKS) not being the "real deal", when I purchased these, the more that I think about it, I don't think RKS was even offering their tonneaus for sale yet. IIRC, DGM was the first vendor to offer these tonneaus for sale, as I got in on a group buy when they first came out (winter '98-'99). I do not remember any competitor's offering the same thing at the time. I've attached the best old photo I could find when I first got them (the file was dated April '99). It's a scaned print from my 35mm SLR, so it has some grain to it and its hard to make out the gap. If I had to guess, I would contend that DGM's tonneaus came out first and RKS either purchased the molds or copied it. But they look identical (from the pics I've seen of RKS tonneaus) and probably fit the same. I've not seen close-up photos of a RKS tonneau's fit along the rear quarter, so I've seen no evidence of them fitting better or worse than mine. Unless the bottom edge of the RKS tonneaus have a "notch" up where they rest on the door opening rubber moulding, they are going to have a slight gap there too since that molding sits higher than the rubber gasket along the edge of the rear quarter panel.
Attached Thumbnails Guys with the RKS Tonneau covers - Gaps and Cracks-98-ws6-tonneau-6-o-clock-wide.jpg  

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 05-31-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Guys with the RKS Tonneau covers - Gaps and Cracks