Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Slight progress on the Vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Slight progress on the Vette

Got a break today and received my LS1 head bolt thread chaser. ARP makes it and it is M11x2.00. You won't find that size anywhere. I know... I looked!
I was about to have a custom tap made by Tacoma Screw for $130... the ARP item saved the day at only $45.

Anyway, I went to work on it again today. The thread chaser started down the hole and I felt a small "snap"... backed the chaser out and saw that it broke the first thread off the chaser. I was getting really worried at this point. Stuck my magnet in the hole and pulled out a bunch of small metal shards. Re-lubed the chaser and ran it in again. This time I felt a bigger snap... just a little deeper in this time. The magnet fished out what looks to be 1/2 a bolt thread or half a thread out of the block. When I ran the chaser down again it went clear to the bottom and went in like it should.

I was sweating bullets thinking my bargain LQ4 wasn't a bargain at all. Looks like I came out okay after all. Now I'm just waiting on my new ARP head bolt to replace my damaged one. Maybe next week?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

NICE!

I am still betting that was why it originaly blew the head gasket
Old 06-09-2006, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scary, I'll bet you were saying some choice words about then, eh Cory? I hate the blind head bolt holes in these motors. Glad it turned out OK!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARP was supposed to produce some more bolts THIS week... who knows if they did or not. If they did I should be ready to fire up next week sometime. If they didn't... I'm still swinging.

Quick Reply: Slight progress on the Vette