Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

How bad for the environment is a car without a catalytic converter?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How bad for the environment is a car without a catalytic converter?

I put an LS1 in a 24 year old car, which I hope to drive daily through the summers. Next year, the car will be 25 years old, and I beileve it will be exempt from emissions in my state.

I am ordering parts to build the exhaust system, and now realize that in 11 months I don't think I will be required to run catalytic converters, or any emissions equipment at all.

So my question is, how bad is it for the environment to run a car without catalytic converters? I have heard cats reduce smog, but on the flip side, throw off chemicals that supposedly rapidly speed up global warming.

Should I run cats or not?

-Dave
Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your local laws. I think Pa. goes by the body year, but some places go by the engine year, meaning you would need all the oem stuff for the engine as it came.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Cats can reduce the emissions by about 99% when all warmed up. So, without them, you're polluting roughly the same as 100 cars, or more, since it's a big engine.
The pollutants aren't so much greenhouse gases as they are smog gases. If you live out in the country, and park outside, and never spend time in traffic, it's no biggie. But, daily driving, in cities, in traffic (it's not just you that gets to smell the power), I'd highly recommend keeping the cats and charcoal canister working - those two are the huge pollution reducing devices.

Also, if a cop pulls you over for hot footing it, he can still ticket you and probably can impound your car for removing an emissions device, and it's an easy check for him to see.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the replies, I think I am going to use cats and the charcoal canister, but ditch the AIR/smog pump system. I am not too worried about the small loss in HP, and prefer the smell of a car with cats. I will try to put the cats close to the manifolds to help them light off more quickly.

In VA, I will be exempt from emissions testing for registration purposes, however the enforcement officer from the Department of Environmental Quality told me that they set up tests with some sort of sniffer on exhaust ramps that gets readings as cars drive by. If you are a "gross poluter" and your car was built after 1968, they will bust you.

I have heard arguments on smog vs. greenhouse gasses with and without converters, and just wanted to see how everyone weighed in.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cat are for hippies and tree huggers
Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Teching In

catless....
Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RednGold86Z

Also, if a cop pulls you over for hot footing it, he can still ticket you and probably can impound your car for removing an emissions device, and it's an easy check for him to see.

that's why you should gut the cats and stick a straight pipe threw them, so it will still look like you have them.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get cats, and then gut them.

atleast you'll look like a good person
Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, its pretty bad. My old car put out 10 times the legal limit worth of emissions without a cat.

On the up side, no one could tail gate me because they're eyes would start burning if they got within 4 car lengths of me.

On the down side, I smelt like raw fuel after driving anywhere in it.

You win some, you lose some.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Just run some race ruel in the car with the cats for a tank or 2, and they'll blow themselves right out for you

Mine came apart after about 500 miles with 105 unleaded race fuel, leaded will do it even faster.

I wouldn't waste your time with any of that emmissions crap to be honest, if you're slugging an ls1 into an older car, as long as you have some mufflers on it that are quiet enough so you don't get a ton of attenion drawn to ya, you won't have any problems.

CT once a car is 25 years old they are exempt from emmissions testing, I don't know a sole with anything that's got any power that is running the cats on it that doesn't have to.

Tune that car in open loop, don't mess with the o2's at all, that whole canister thing, screw that too really. If you do a fuel system that's got a return on it, just vent the tank and call it a day.

The emmissions that are killing the enviornment aren't coming from the less then 1% of cars without legal emmissions equipment, it's coming from the smoke stacks on factories all over china and other places with no regulations.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by streetassasin
cat are for hippies and tree huggers
lol! only time i ever smell exhaust is after gettin on it for extended periods of time - like going over a buck forty.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

no cats

if your so worried about the enviornment go vegetarian!
seriously new studies have proved that if we all went veg. the methan produced my pigs/cows is like something atrousously more harmful then all the cars/trucks/planes/buses ectt of the entire world combined!

me im no cats and a meatasaurus
Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The emmissions that are killing the enviornment aren't coming from the less then 1% of cars without legal emmissions equipment, it's coming from the smoke stacks on factories all over china and other places with no regulations.
I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why states just don't tax emission-less cars more? Here in California, where the state holds enough debt for most countries they could be making that back by enstating a emissions-exempt tax of $1k a year or something to get tags. Considering emission-less cars normally aren't daily drivers, the 100 or so miles a year, of a car w/out cats is far less than 12-15k miles a year of a car with cats.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Catless as well here. And my eyes dont water and there is no rotten egg smell. It smells like burnt fuel exiting a car. I have true duals with turndowns before the axle and daily drive 90 miles a day in traffic in the chicago area.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

I don't see myself going vegetarian anytime soon. I always thought "PETA" (see www.peta.org) should stand for People Eating Tasty Animals.

The car is only 25 years old and I want to drive it regularly in the summer. I'll pass on the cat-free smell and sound. I think having no cats would be a novelty and wear off after a few weeks of sitting in traffic to and from work on the DC beltway. Just my opinion.

If the performance loss with a decent set of cats is negligible, I'll stick with the cats. I'd rather give up 5hp than the creature comforts of a cat-free vehicle.

BTW, I have to figure out how the whole charcoal canister thing works. I honestly don't know what it's for or how it hooks up - only that my car has one.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you planning on getting it registered as an antique? If you're in VA, once the car is 25 years old you have the option to register it as an antique. If that's what you want to do you only have to get it inspected once for antique tags. After that you can do anything you want emissions wise, but since you're car came with emissions crap it'll need it for that antique inspection.

I ran catless for a few months, didn't once smell gas but it was loud as a **** (longtubes and loudmouth).

As far as how bad for the environment is a car without a catalytic converter? Imagine tossing a bottle cap into a landfill, it's got about the same impact, none.

With the gas a 747 jet burns in one hour, you can drive your car to drive around the widest part of the Earth about 3.5 times. And that's leaded fuel getting released 30,000+ feet up in the atmosphere. So don't sweat the environment by going catless.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

if you have FI and you have a cat, your gains would be in the 30hp range if you cut that **** off. and then you can sell your cat and get 100buck for it my old grand prix gtp felt so much stronger without a cat.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

I have cats with Lt's and magnaflows and its not bad... And I never smell like gas
Old 02-11-2009, 04:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
With the gas a 747 jet burns in one hour, you can drive your car to drive around the widest part of the Earth about 3.5 times. And that's leaded fuel getting released 30,000+ feet up in the atmosphere. So don't sweat the environment by going catless.
Just to poke fun - Yeah, a 747 running on leaded avgas, good one. Or maybe they're packing radials in the jet enclosures, and have been fooling us all along. They run on Jet A and B, basically kerosene.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think I will get antique tags... too many restrictions on the plates in VA. I might as well pay the full registration and drive it whenever, wherever I want. Regardless, there will be no emissions inspection. Only a saftey inspection (brakes, bearings, tires, lights, etc) which does not cover any of the emissions system whatsoever. The only thing that can hang you up is if your car smokes. That will fail your safety inspection.

If you're running stock cats, I bet there is a lot of restriction. I expect less restriction from some steel substrate magnaflow cats.

Another thing to consider - maybe I won't mind the smell of exhaust with no cats, but if it bothers my wife, I'm screwed... or not screwed... you know what I mean.

Those 747s must be running some of that leaded kerosene!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How bad for the environment is a car without a catalytic converter?