Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

HELP: Electrical noise increase with temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Default HELP: Electrical noise increase with temperature?

Here's my deal, got an LS3 in my 98 f-body using Lingenfelter's converter. Recently (after the weather warmed), it started dying. I believe it is due to heat and/or electrical noise. LPE says the noise can cause issues, including the stalling I am seeing now. I am thinking the issue may be related to the MSD plug wires. My question is, would increasing temperature, which increases resistance, cause increased electrical noise?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have taylor wires and i know when i bought those 3 were bad, I would have horrible emi noise on the radio and I ended up returning those 3 for new ones. I never had an issue with the noise other than hearing it over FM radio, which was bad enough to make me swap one wire at a time with the oem wires to figure out which were bad.
But i would suspect with warmer weather that underhood temps increased significantly which might have caused the plug wires to be hotter and give problems... yeah if anything gets hot enough it'll break down and fail.
The resistance of the plug wires has nothing to do with it, that is a marketing deception to make you think you're buying a better product. Your spark plugs are in fact resistor plugs, but unless all your wires are really horrible I doubt they are causing the car to just die. I know I had some decent emi happening and I never had a problem other than the radio.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

It seems that heat was causing the LPE converter to go into protect mode, killing the crank and cam signal. I relocated everything correctly and so far, no issues. EMI could cause issues, like the manual specifically warns, also but would be intermittent. We could reproduce this at will by heating things up, leading us to conclude that heat was the direct culprit.

Still need to change the wires, the EMI coming through the radio is OBNOXIOUS.