Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

cranks but wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cranks but wont start?

ok so i had my camaro out today before, ran flawlessly.
go home drained the oil, put the new oil+filter in with the right amount and go to start it to get it off the ramps and it just cranks but wont turn over..
pushed it off so its more level and bam it started, then turned it off again and waited about 20 min to try and leave my house for a cruise and it wont start for the life of me..i have no idea wtf is wrong. car is stock besides headers and has 24k miles. no codes on the dash at all
Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
are you saying that the car doesn't spin over? If so you probably have a bad bendix/starter drive. You can remove the starter and check it on your work bench with jumper cables.....pushing the vehicle using the compression start only serves to bypass the starter. Good luck and have a blessed weekend.
Jim
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jim ravencraft
Hi,
are you saying that the car doesn't spin over? If so you probably have a bad bendix/starter drive. You can remove the starter and check it on your work bench with jumper cables.....pushing the vehicle using the compression start only serves to bypass the starter. Good luck and have a blessed weekend.
Jim
i thought u can only do that with a manual? someone said crank position sensor is that the same thing?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Maybe try the forum for diagnostics??
Old 03-18-2011, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

If the car is cranking normally and not starting then it's not starter related. For a solid starting point I'd check for spark and fuel pressure to see if it's ignition related or fuel related. I know the car doesn't have many miles but all of those parts are still old so anything is possible. If you're just experiencing this problem it may take a couple of drive cycles for a DTC to set. Anyways, I'd check those things out first so you can narrow down the problem.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Hi once again.
I had one of my builds that had like issues.. The culprit was a bad connection on the battery. New terminals and cables but just not seating properly..
Key resistor???inline fuse??bad connections on starter?TURBOSTANG, had several good points to consider. Make yourself a check off list as you complete each item....good luck and keep your chin up!!!have a blessed weekend.......captain jim
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jim ravencraft
Hi once again.
I had one of my builds that had like issues.. The culprit was a bad connection on the battery. New terminals and cables but just not seating properly..
Key resistor???inline fuse??bad connections on starter?TURBOSTANG, had several good points to consider. Make yourself a check off list as you complete each item....good luck and keep your chin up!!!have a blessed weekend.......captain jim
I'd definetely check what Jim said, because if I had a dollar for every loose side post I'd be a rich man.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Security light flashing mabe could be the VATS?

Quick Reply: cranks but wont start?