Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

self power generating electrical car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default self power generating electrical car?

can it be done? here is a mail that i sent to GM today, what do you think? :

Hello, i have a suggestion on producing a self power generating electrical car. i hope it will work. we need such cars due to pollution and problems associated with the pollution.

why don't you install a generator that generates electricity power in a electrical car (car with electrical motor) that this generator is spun by the electrical motor of the car and generates enough power to be stored in the car's battery while operating and using (motivating) the car this way the car will generate power by itself for itslef the electrical motor will make enough power to motivate the car and yet enough power to spin the generator to produce enough elecrical power to be stored in the car's battery to motivate the car.

when the power stored in the battery is full you cut supplying the battery with power from generator using relays or in some how,

when the battery needs power you connect the generator to bettery and supply power from the generator and so on and so fourth.

let me know what do you think.

thanks.

Abdullah
Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second Law of Thermodynamics

/thread
Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be better to spin the generator with some pedals operated by the drivers feet, like a 4 wheeled mo-ped. I too often dream of creating the worlds first perpetual motion machine.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this serious? Subscribed.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
I think it would be better to spin the generator with some pedals operated by the drivers feet, like a 4 wheeled mo-ped. I too often dream of creating the worlds first perpetual motion machine.
I think there was a Simpson's episode where Lisa Simpson made one of those. We should ask her.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

although you are wondering about that i would say this car could be made in the future.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Abdullah
although you are wondering about that i would say this car could be made in the future.
I disagree.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I disagree.
I too, disagree.

Perpetual motion machine...
Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How could this be made? You are taking the potential energy of the battery, transfering some of it to a generator, which will then transfer some to kinetic engergy (movement of the automobile) and some will be transfered back to a battery. How are you going to sustain an energy source when some of it is used to create the motion of the car. Even if you had zero loss in the system, you are still transfering engergy from a battery into motion of an electric motor. This is basically a less efficient version of an electric car. Please read the law of conservation of energy. You can't create energy. Why dont we just make a car that operates off of fairy dust. I think that's more realistic.

I can't believe i'm taking the bait, as this has to be a joke
Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

perpetual motion machine Is not possible. you would have to rewrite all the laws of physics.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deelong4002
How could this be made? You are taking the potential energy of the battery, transfering some of it to a generator, which will then transfer some to kinetic engergy (movement of the automobile) and some will be transfered back to a battery. How are you going to sustain an energy source when some of it is used to create the motion of the car. Even if you had zero loss in the system, you are still transfering engergy from a battery into motion of an electric motor. This is basically a less efficient version of an electric car. Please read the law of conservation of energy. You can't create energy. Why dont we just make a car that operates off of fairy dust. I think that's more realistic.

Warp drive or perpetual motion machine? Which comes first?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Warp drive or perpetual motion machine? Which comes first?
Definately warp drive. I hate that 45 minute commute to work!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

100% guaranteed: Warp drive before perpetual motion. The real question is where does time travel come in, before or after (Stephen Hawking explained how forward time travel may be possible, but going back isn't on the discovery channel a week or 2 ago)
Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deelong4002

i'm not transfereing some of the electrical power from the battery to the generator, i'm transfering the power to the electrical motor and the electrical motor spins the generator (very high output generator that doesn't consume too much hp and produce enough power to motivate the car or to be stored in the battery).

Last edited by Abdullah; 05-24-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

i'm not transfereing some of the electrical power from the battery to the generator, i'm transfering the power to the electrical motor and the electrical motor spins the generator (very high output generator that doesn't consume too much hp and produce enough power to motivate the car or to be stored in the battery).
If what you are trying to attempt were possible then you should be able to connect the motor to the generator via a belt, crank it up with a pull rope, and it would continue to run under it's own power indefinitely. Are you saying this is possible?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look up the second law of thermodynamics.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
If what you are trying to attempt were possible then you should be able to connect the motor to the generator via a belt, crank it up with a pull rope, and it would continue to run under it's own power indefinitely. Are you saying this is possible?
yes, this is my idea the electrical motor spins the high output generator via a belt but there is a battery from the begining to start the engine and to motivate the car. is that possible?

assume the generator produce electrical power same as the power source stations we see on TV that is now adays used to charge today's electrical car battery's with power,doesn't take like one and a half hour to charge the battery? maybe while the car is moving it will charge the battery within 5-6 hours.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

No it's for sure possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJrjDI5xSQ
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by collier341
No it's for sure possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJrjDI5xSQ
LOL....thats a good one
Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 AM
10 Second Club

yes, this is my idea the electrical motor spins the high output generator via a belt but there is a battery from the begining to start the engine and to motivate the car. is that possible?

assume the generator produce electrical power same as the power source stations we see on TV that is now adays used to charge today's electrical car battery's with power,doesn't take like one and a half hour to charge the battery? maybe while the car is moving it will charge the battery within 5-6 hours.
No this is not possible. The generator is essentially a permanent magnet motor and it will take a motor larger than the generator to drive it to it's maximum potential. This is due to frictional loss of energy and you can't eliminate friction from the equation. So what you end up with is a motor that is larger than the generator is capable of powering on it's own. The battery will run the motor and generator for a while but all you are doing is adding more work to the motor by introducing the generator. Thus depleting the power source faster than if you had no generator at all. You may reduce friction and prolong the depletion but you will not eliminate it.

The only way you may achieve charging of the battery is if you used the generators as brakes and only drove downhill. If a person was interested in only making one way trips then you may have a market. But then someone will have to expend the energy to bring the car back up the hill.

Quick Reply: self power generating electrical car?